Old 15 March 2019, 20:03   #81

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If the Harbour authority are not managing the facility properly and there are people playing around on the slip then that's the issue they should be addressing.
But they have dealt with the slipway practices that were felt inappropriate, that in the harbour authorities judgement were unsafe,

‘It has been noted that some mariners using the slipway to recover vessels onto road trailers are using a method to do so which is neither safe nor recognised as best practice.

Mariners should not try to drive their vessels fully onto the trailer using excessive engine revs, and then maintain this thrust whilst they leave the vessel and secure their boat.

This leaves the controls unattended and the revolving propeller unguarded, whilst others attempt to use the slipway around it. In addition to the danger posed to others, this practice contributes to the deterioration of the slipway surface.

Boats should be gently presented to the trailer cradle, the engine switched off and the winch used to make final adjustments to proper seating.

Harbour Staff are instructed to prevent hazardous and inappropriate use of the slipway, and will advise mariners if required.’

Seems straight forward to me, what bit are you struggling with?
Old 15 March 2019, 20:33   #82

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
‘.....It has been noted that some mariners using the slipway to recover vessels onto road trailers are using a method to do so which is neither safe nor recognised as best practice.............

....... they leave the vessel.........
Common practice and plainly safer than the method they propose.

NO ONE LEAVES THE BOAT.......NO ONE IN THE WATER.....what part of that are you struggling with?

You have still to tell me who is going to get injured.... as I said NO ONE IN THE WATER !!! so are we trying to mitigate against people falling from the sky and landing on the prop.

I think the "harbour's slipway paddling society" needs to do some proper risk assessments. They are creating the congestion that increases the risk and why on earth would there be "others on the slip" how stupid is that? They really need to get that sorted before they start regulating those that should be there, no marina up here would tolerate that.

You're openly admitting the people who would be at risk are those in the water then advocating a practice that puts them there......

That was no one in the water.......just in case you missed that.
Old 15 March 2019, 20:43   #83

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I see the slipway Police are still patrolling tonight 🤣🤣🤣
Old 15 March 2019, 20:43   #84
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A moment of your time, gentlemen....

There are a limited number of forums available for us to share our passion for ribbing on, so it would be excellent if we could agree to share this one amicably. Maybe it's the lack of boating wx, but TBH, I put it down to a lack of manners. This forum has a courtesy policy that I don't see much evidence of here.

From a bystanders POV, you're comparing apples and pears and getting your panties in a bunch. Time to step back and get some perspective.

All IMVHO naturally
Old 15 March 2019, 21:28   #85

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

There are a limited number of forums available for us to share our passion for ribbing on, so it would be excellent if we could agree to share this one amicably. Maybe it's the lack of boating wx, but TBH, I put it down to a lack of manners. This forum has a courtesy policy that I don't see much evidence of here.

From a bystanders POV, you're comparing apples and pears and getting your panties in a bunch. Time to step back and get some perspective.

All IMVHO naturally

[emoji106] this discussion has probably run its course and going around in circles. Straying from what the OP was trying to gauge. Perhaps if another post is created to discuss just the merits of leaving in forward gear on the trailer or not if the discussion wants to continue and this post can focus on just answering the OP question
Old 16 March 2019, 10:51   #86

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

All IMVHO naturally
Well said - some people inc me () do feel ardent when it come to safety concerns - but I hope that's a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Seems straight forward to me, what bit are you struggling with?
I won't deny that did make me chuckle a little bit

May your fuel tanks be full and your destination welcoming - be safe
Old 16 March 2019, 14:03   #87

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Well said - some people inc me () do feel ardent when it come to safety concerns - but I hope that's a good thing

I won't deny that did make me chuckle a little bit

May your fuel tanks be full and your destination welcoming - be safe
do you ever speed I bet more people are killed by speeding in a week than johns method in 10000 years if there has ever been anybody at all I think some people have lost touch with reality and common sense
Old 16 March 2019, 15:55   #88
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
[emoji106] this discussion has probably run its course and going around in circles. Straying from what the OP was trying to gauge. Perhaps if another post is created to discuss just the merits of leaving in forward gear on the trailer or not if the discussion wants to continue and this post can focus on just answering the OP question

I think you are totally right. Sadly the protagonists enjoy needling each other. I’m going to lock the thread and those involved should consider it a warning that whilst we welcome the debate about the best way to do things we expect discussion to be in a grown up manner without becoming personal - this isn’t the Houses of Parliament!

Failing to heid that warning may result in you having more time to go boating!