Old 11 December 2008, 16:52   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Cheap as chips

As there cheap performance enhancing chips on ebay any good? Will it really "INCREASE POWER BY UP TO +35BHP & +70NM TORQUE!!"

Worth £25 or not?
Old 11 December 2008, 17:12   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
As there cheap performance enhancing chips on ebay any good? Will it really "INCREASE POWER BY UP TO +35BHP & +70NM TORQUE!!"

Worth £25 or not?
Wot engine are you talking about?

Some work well. Here
Old 11 December 2008, 17:30   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Well the chips ARE cheap - quite how they can charge £200 or more is beyond me. No doubt they will say they have spent hours on the dyno etc but I am rather sceptical......

it could be they are pirate chips - or just someone who doesn't feel the high prices are justified.
Old 11 December 2008, 17:33   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:

Worth £25 or not?
Put a link to the ebay chip and what is it for
Old 11 December 2008, 18:30   #5

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Same things as what they flog for cars, its a resistor that fools your ecu into thinking the air is colder and hence denser so it puts more fuel in allegdly boosting power.... its bollocks really.

You can get proper chips or the ECU remapped, these are loads better than the crap you get off ebay!
Old 11 December 2008, 20:29   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Well the chips ARE cheap - quite how they can charge £200 or more is beyond me. No doubt they will say they have spent hours on the dyno etc but I am rather sceptical......

it could be they are pirate chips - or just someone who doesn't feel the high prices are justified.
sounds like a business opportunity for you then cod - you get some cheap chips, program them to make engines run better and sell for just £100... undercutting the competition by 50% but still making you a fortune...
Old 12 December 2008, 08:56   #7

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Quote:

Worth £25 or not?
rubbish mate, this gets discussed lots on many motoring forums, yes years ago there used to be a company that had the market called superchips, that sold you an expensive piggy back to your ecu -

power increase starts off, with a bloody good service, plugs/oil then breathing,on some cars air filters, but I think this is a myth, a decent ,mesh panel filter regulary replaced is as good, as the most new cars have air mass flow meters and large non standard air filters just make noisy induction roar and can wreck these sensitive sensors and there not CHEAP, the bhp gain is questionable - removing catayltic convertors in centre sections and downpipes will transform a lot of cars as it makes it freeflowing and non restrictive, MOT time means chucking them back on, or just 1, or a secret tenner in the MOT's mans pocket to "forget" the emmisions test - free flowing back boxes, then larger injectors, larger bottom ends, uprated fuel pumps, biggers turbos, rerouting intercoolers, and then esentially remapping the ECU to take full advantage of the mods you've just made, so the cars driveability/reliabilty isnt comprimised too much -

Im sure what car you're doing it all on, but dont forget good brakes/uprated discs/pads and suspension setup are equally if not more essential
Old 12 December 2008, 09:17   #8

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Get it done properly - ecu fiddling best left to the experts

http://www.qstuning.com/display.php?...l=12&engine=54
Old 12 December 2008, 09:31   #9

They are loads of people who remap ECU's, my old Volvo was done by a company called MTE, very good too and never had any problems with it.

As you know you get what you pay for, even if someone does remap your outboard it can be done wrong and wreck your engine!

I've got the huge cone airfilter on my Jag and if placed right it does make a difference, mines right behind the headlights so gets lots of cold air.

If you want your boat to go faster buy a bigger outboard.
Old 12 December 2008, 10:39   #10
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Like has been said on car engines a good K&N filter works a treat, chipping always leads to an early death.
Not sure on outboards, are there no easy mods you can do to get a bit more BHP rather than chipping?
Old 12 December 2008, 10:49   #11

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I always liked K&N filters since it made my old mini faster.
However, I'm starting to read a number of reports that say they are pretty poor at filtering.
Old 12 December 2008, 10:55   #12

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
every car I've put a k&n filter , bmw carb'd 318,320i, calibra 2.0 8v, VW golf 1.3, ruined the idling and ran like shite in hot weather sure it made an okay inducation noise but id say more like all noise and no go, id say maybe you get 2/3bhp max, even if u route a cold air feed through the bumper or wing, hardly a noticeable gain, remove the restrictive cats first and get a nice freeflowing exhaust is the most cheapest and effective way initally, car modding will always bleed you dry and you'll never get your money back - leave the chavvy air filers to the idiot saxo muppetts in mcdonalds car park

this is all i my opinion though, im sure if its correctly setup by an expert on a RR along with everything else, ignition timing, but thats expensive
Old 12 December 2008, 11:12   #13
JSP

Have to disagree there mate. I put two K&N cones on a Rover V8 lump and had it krypton tuned as well. It became allot more responsive under my big toe.
I then went onto mod'ing other bits but for the pennies to power the K&N's did a grand job.
I turned an old rover V8 out of a landrover (one of the weakest BHP V8's ever made) and turned it into a performer.
I then pulled it out of the motor it was in with plans to build a lotus 7 replica but ran out of cash and sold it
Old 12 December 2008, 17:04   #14

Chips DO work well on modern engines - especially turbo diesels. Often these days that's all the manufacturers do anyway to differentiate models!!!
Old 12 December 2008, 17:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Have to disagree there mate. I put two K&N cones on a Rover V8 lump and had it krypton tuned as well. It became allot more responsive under my big toe.
I then went onto mod'ing other bits but for the pennies to power the K&N's did a grand job.
I turned an old rover V8 out of a landrover (one of the weakest BHP V8's ever made) and turned it into a performer.
I then pulled it out of the motor it was in with plans to build a lotus 7 replica but ran out of cash and sold it
They restricted the BHP to allow it to run on any old shit petrol all over the World. A quick fiddle will easily see from 135 up to 155bhp and it doesn't take much to see 200hp. My V8 in my 110 is probably about 300hp now - just need to put it all back together!!!
Old 12 December 2008, 17:24   #16

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Not.
Old 12 December 2008, 17:26   #17

My V8's at least 370bhp!
Old 12 December 2008, 17:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Not.
Not what???
Old 12 December 2008, 18:00   #19
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
They restricted the BHP to allow it to run on any old shit petrol all over the World. A quick fiddle will easily see from 135 up to 155bhp and it doesn't take much to see 200hp. My V8 in my 110 is probably about 300hp now - just need to put it all back together!!!
I was miss informed at the time then
Old 12 December 2008, 18:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I was miss informed at the time then
I would say so - the V8 is pretty much the same in the Defender(90/110) as it was in the Range Rover. Naturally aspirated of course - some of them had restrictors in the carbs/inlet manifold. These were very easy to remove and took the power up I think from about 114 to 135bhp - then a bit of fiddling would get 155bhp which was normal power in the SD1.

These 3.5 engines were good for up to about 250hp as proved by TVR. To get more power you need a cross bolted block which came in quite late - they incresed to 3.9 litres and beyond. The biggest is 5.2L but I have settled for a 4.6.