Old 19 June 2007, 04:01   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
new searider

I bought a new boat today. It is a searider 4.0. no pics now and probally wont pick it up for weeks. Only seen one pic of it so far and needs a bit of work, Hopeing it wont be too bad. only seen one pic of it so far. it unfortunately is located in Virginia about a 10 hour ride from me. I must first get a trailer before I make a trip down there. I was actually starting to get worried what I was going to do with all me time since I am just about done with my other toy
Old 19 June 2007, 16:50   #2

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Are you planning on collecting the entire range? Time to start looking for a 6.0 now!

The sailing center my wife works for may be looking for a serviceable RIB, 4mR-6mR, if you come across another, or want to get rid of one of these two. They have a decent 50 Honda to throw on something.

And if you're really looking for something to do, you can overhaul my 5.4!
Old 24 July 2007, 17:06   #3

finally

after 1250 miles $180 in gas and about $75 in tolls I arrived last night with my new toy. Overall in better shape than I expected, Then again I purpously didnt expect much. The hull is in good shape with the usual nickes and chips. Will actually need less work than my 5.4. 2 chambers hold air perfect and I already know where the 3td chamber is leaking. It is around the back cone and will try to look at it today, hopeing it is a nice easy repair. Transom was very solid and floor seems in fine shape. It came with a jocky console and steering. It looks to me like the 4.0 had threaded inserts for attaching the console as my 5.4 has studs that are fixed into the floor. I will be stripping the boat and flipping it over once I make sure that I can repair the leak. I will look forward to posting some more pics from my newest project. And I am now in the market for a 50 hp motor.
Old 24 July 2007, 17:25   #4

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Glad to see you got it home.
Now comes the interesting part--bringing it back to life!
Good luck with your new toy. If I hear of a motor I'll let you know.

Keep us posted.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 28 July 2007, 04:52   #5

pics

just wanted to show a couple of pics I took today. I have already patched a couple of leaks, one was right near the back cone, It was actually a small hole that hadf been wrongly patched in the past. I have a few more places to clean up and I will reglue some seams and a couple of wear patches on the back tubes underneath. The webbing is in rough shape where the lifelines should go. I will try to figure something out for this. all and all preety happy with the boat, hull is in great shape. I would like to know if anyone has a good product to help revive my tubes, They are in good shap but just seem a bit chalky. I will try to keeop it out of the sun for noe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0494.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	28870   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0495.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	28871  
Old 05 August 2007, 23:28   #6

help with cleaning tubes

any one know of something good to use on my new SR. They are in decent shape but seem a bit dry, just want to get them in good shape again
Old 08 August 2007, 13:59   #7

Length: 5m +
I'd give some of the Aurora products a try (speed clean and polyguard). From what I can tell, these products are designed specifically for Hypalon tubes. You could also use something called 303 Protectant - I know a bunch of the service centers use this - it seems to be some kind of a revitalizer.
Old 08 August 2007, 16:40   #8

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Make: RIBCRAFT
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
I would definitely recommend the speed clean, by Aurora. My tube looked a bit chaulky after last season, and the speed clean made it look brand new again. I then used the poly guard to shine it up and protect it. Seems like a good thing to do once a year. I bought mine from ribcraft direct.
Old 08 August 2007, 17:49   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Use traffic film remover or truck wash - it's the stuff you use with a pressure washer. Use it about 50/50 with water and use a big sponge to apply it.

Afterwards use 303 or similar.

It's amazing how far these Avons have travelled - the factory is about 10 miles from me - and about 3200 miles from you!!!