Old 25 February 2020, 18:09   #1

Town: Kaneohe
Length: 4m +
Hull to tube water leak

I am very new to ribs & even boating in general. I recently purchased a Bombard 420 Aerotec as a first boat. When I hit waves, I'm noticing a small spray of water from between the top deck of the hull & the tube on the starboard side. It's as if there is a missing portion (4-6", maybe?) of connection between the tube and the hull. Is this possible? What would the fix be? Remove the tubes?

Appreciate any help you might have.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:39   #2

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Sounds like the bolt rope which attaches the tube to the hull is probably separating. Deflate the tubes and check between the tube and hull which will confirm.

QUOTE=mblacklin;808829]I am very new to ribs & even boating in general. I recently purchased a Bombard 420 Aerotec as a first boat. When I hit waves, I'm noticing a small spray of water from between the top deck of the hull & the tube on the starboard side. It's as if there is a missing portion (4-6", maybe?) of connection between the tube and the hull. Is this possible? What would the fix be? Remove the tubes?

Appreciate any help you might have.[/QUOTE]
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 20:54   #3

Town: Ennis
Boat name: pac 22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: inboard
I tend to agree with CGOING. On these ribs the glue on the bolt rope can break down even though tubes are 100 percent. Its an easy enough fix for someone in the business. Tubes off for a start ,its the only way to really see whats going on.
Old 27 February 2020, 23:11   #4

Town: Kaneohe
Length: 4m +
Dang - not what I wanted to hear. Now to find 'someone in the business'.

Pretty mechanically inclined/handy, but not sure I'm up for pulling tubes off just yet.
Old 28 February 2020, 07:06   #5

I think you will manage the removal Bit .get a third opinion just to be sure to be sure to be sure to be sure
Old 28 February 2020, 20:57   #6

Town: Chicoutimi
Make: Airsolid
Engine: Suzuki DF115
I have the exact same spray of water on my 6m RIB. I removed the tubes and there is no missing portion, no gap, no separation. I had to conclude that this water was coming from the back of the boat due to a kind of "pumping" effect caused by the movement of the tubes against the hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblacklin View Post
I am very new to ribs & even boating in general. I recently purchased a Bombard 420 Aerotec as a first boat. When I hit waves, I'm noticing a small spray of water from between the top deck of the hull & the tube on the starboard side. It's as if there is a missing portion (4-6", maybe?) of connection between the tube and the hull. Is this possible? What would the fix be? Remove the tubes?

Appreciate any help you might have.
Old 29 February 2020, 12:58   #7

I had exactly the same problem with a zodiac and the tubes parted company with the hull and being attached only to the stern now sunk like a stone contrary to popular belief that ribs don't need tubes to float "SOME DO" . the only way you will know for sure and certain is to remove the tubes for inspection and if at least ten years old its no harm anyway. Airsolid has a valid point and I have seen this happen too.Not familiar with bombard or its age.
Old 01 March 2020, 09:45   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
I was driving a diesel ribtec once a long time ago and the tube lifted at the bow, that was bloody exciting with 8 non boaters on board, I learnt a big lesson that day! I would definitely find someone in the business!