Old 04 April 2003, 12:57   #1

Town: sidney b.c.
Make: Hurricand 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 225
navman gps plotter

I am looking at the navman 5100 series plotter, does anyone have any experience with these? I was looking at the color one however when i took the color and black & white units in the sunlight the monochrome was better. This company in new to Canada and was looking for any info , they are priced very well. Thanks Chris
Old 04 April 2003, 17:30   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Plotter

Tim purchased 5600 combined plotter gps it has failed after 10 months due to water ingress, its suppossed to be ip67 ip68 is oil rig standard.It is supposed to be fully submersible our navman sounder has also failed due to ingress of water.The stuff carries a 2 yr worldwide warranty,its currently in for repair, it is however excellent stuff, very good I would still recommend it, but store or mount it wisley try www.vitelectronics.com I am still a Navman fan 2 yrs is a good warranty gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2003, 07:26   #3

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Navman Gps

Hi Zod550,

If you look at some previous dicussions on this subject, in general the outlook is positive on the navman kit,

Some things I have learnt is mounting is critical, use correct brackets so as not to distort casing. Map cartopgraphy can be an expensive add on, do you really need a map. Additional fuel monitoring is also a bonus, no other manufacture provides this option within a gps unit.

I have made my choice to purchase a Navman 500I + Fuel transponder unit based on advice given by users of the Ribnet.

There are better quality Gps units on the market but price also played a factor in my decision. As to life expectancy of the unit I consider a 2 year warrenty satisfactory on any kit.

Happy ribbing