Old 30 August 2006, 11:53   #1

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
Is this repairable? (transducer)

Last time I recovered my RIB it seems that somehow I winched it too far up the trailer which resulted in the transom passing over the rear rollers and then dropping down in front of them. This meant that to launch it we had to physically lift the back of the boat up and over the rollers.

No problem really except that the rollers caught the transducer of my fishfinder and damaged it. As you can see from the attached pics the casing has broken open and the bottom half is only held on now by the inside wiring. There aren't any screws on the casing so I assumed it was glued together or maybe was a sealed unit. I'm just wondering if this can be repaired? Is there any glue that would hold it back together and wouldn't be affected by being submerged. The fishfinder still seemed to be working ok at low speeds but when travelling at high speed it wouldn't read, due I guess to it not pointing downwards at speed.

If it needs replacing can I just cut the cable and splice on a new one using some sort of waterproof connection, or will I have to run the cabling back to the fishfinder unit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	21864   Click image for larger version

Name:	TR2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	21865  
Old 30 August 2006, 16:55   #2

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
you could try siliconing the top down and then siliconing the whole unit down into the splash well-cos thats what can happen with an outside mounting. It'll sound fine thru one layer of glass in the well of your humber. Thin layer of silicon under the transducer and squish it down and around a little when you put the transducer onto it to get rid of any air bubbles cos it wont sound thru air. You've been on our boats and all of them have transducers fitted inside and they all sound fine even flat out.
Old 30 August 2006, 17:09   #3

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
Any particular type of silicon or will off the shelf waterproof stuff from a DIY store be ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
you could try siliconing the top down and then siliconing the whole unit down into the splash well
Old 30 August 2006, 17:26   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
no - we use normal transparent stuff from diy store. The handbooks will always say use epoxy or whatever to stick it down, or put it in an oil filled tube etc etc but not silicon cos it will affect the signal. B****x. Silicon lets you move it fairly easily if you want.We first started using it donkeys years ago on fast fishing boats that we beach launch and anything like a transducer outside the hull is gonna get damaged if we have a hard landing in stones and shingle-which has to be done at times on the beaches here if the weather turns nasty. All of our angling club boats stick 'em in like that now. Ordinary Silicon will be fine and if you dont like it afterwards then just peel it out again.