Old 17 July 2008, 10:16   #1

Town: Mountainash
Boat name: bluebird
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 40
Yamaha 40hp oil light

I`ve got a yamaha 40hp 2 stroke on a avon searider, and when i was out on it yesterday the red oil light came on.
I topped up the 2 stroke oil, it didn`t take much, less than a litre, but the red light is still on.

The engine runs and sounds good, it`s got a good jet of water comming from it, and the oil tank is full.
Anyone got any ideas why the oil light is staying on.

I`d be gratefull for any help..thank you.
Old 17 July 2008, 10:36   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The oil level will be a simple float switch - worth checking its not jammed/stuck in the "down" position. I doubt its sophisticated enough to know if the autolube pump is actually working. Does the cooling alarm work on the same circuit?
Old 17 July 2008, 10:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The oil level will be a simple float switch - worth checking its not jammed/stuck in the "down" position. I doubt its sophisticated enough to know if the autolube pump is actually working. Does the cooling alarm work on the same circuit?

Thanks for the reply..I`ll check the float switch, i`m not sure about the autolube pump, I`m a newbie to this boating mularky.
The engine was serviced at West Point marine in Cardiff about 8 weeks ago, and to be fair, it has run perfectly since.
Old 18 July 2008, 14:40   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welshie,

Yeah the float switch does jam, but going from memory there is also a flow switch just upstream of the oil injector, held open by the passage of oil. I doubt it's that 'coz I think it's a total shutdown with the buzzer in the remote screaming if it trips, coz that means you're totally out of oil.

I'll have a look at the book of words tonight & confirm my thought later.

Are you getting a beep form the remotes? Also how big is the oil tank? Memory says the DT25 was only about a litre & a half.....
Old 18 July 2008, 16:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Welshie,

Yeah the float switch does jam, but going from memory there is also a flow switch just upstream of the oil injector, held open by the passage of oil. I doubt it's that 'coz I think it's a total shutdown with the buzzer in the remote screaming if it trips, coz that means you're totally out of oil.

I'll have a look at the book of words tonight & confirm my thought later.

Are you getting a beep form the remotes? Also how big is the oil tank? Memory says the DT25 was only about a litre & a half.....
Thanks mate, I`m not sure on the size of tank, i`ll check it tomorrow as i dont keep the boat at home...I`m not getting any beeps at all..
Old 21 July 2008, 09:29   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Apologies for the delay. Was nowhere near a computer all weekend......

I was 50% right - there is an oil flow switch, but it appears to be connected to the same circuit as the "low oil" switch on the tank. No beep would make sense there, but would also make sense as to the light on if that's the thing that's tripped it.

Havin said that if your oil flow switch has tripped it you'd probably have sized the engine by now!

Did you manage to look at it over the weekend?
Old 21 July 2008, 09:47   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
No beep would make sense there,
Mine is a smaller Yam - but my remotes screetch if the oil level in the tank drops below about 1/3 full.
Old 21 July 2008, 21:21   #8

Quote:
Apologies for the delay. Was nowhere near a computer all weekend......

I was 50% right - there is an oil flow switch, but it appears to be connected to the same circuit as the "low oil" switch on the tank. No beep would make sense there, but would also make sense as to the light on if that's the thing that's tripped it.

Havin said that if your oil flow switch has tripped it you'd probably have sized the engine by now!

Did you manage to look at it over the weekend?
Hi mate, thanks for all the help..
Unfortunatly i didn`t get to the boat on the weekend. unforseen circumstances etc..But i`ll deffinatly be there on Wednesday afternoon, so i`ll check everything you suggested then.

I`ll post back my findings..I hope its nothing serious, cos i got the week off from Wednesday, and hope to get out on it everyday..
Old 24 July 2008, 14:52   #9

Problem solved.....I took the cover off the engine to look at the float switch, when i noticed a small wire comming out of the float switch that wasn`t attached to anything, I called my mate over to show him, and he said, that could be the problem, it looked like it could be an earth wire..He told me to switch the ignition on while he held the wire to earth, and sure enough the red light went out and on came the green..
Thanks again for your help...I`m a relieved man i can tell you..