Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 31 May 2011, 10:11   #1

Town: Marlow
Make: Bombard 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke
Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke auto-lube

I have just bought 380 that has a 1998 Yamaha 25hp stroke auto lube engine. Can anybody here give me any advice on these engines? Is there anything I need to look out for? Tips, suggestions? It is in excellent condition and was serviced in November last year and has been used once since. Thanks.
Old 31 May 2011, 12:26   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Can't say anything about that engine specifically, but two things that apply to all outboards are make sure there is water coming out the tell- tale and if it's not bolted on (a possibility with your set-up) that the two clamp screws are tight. Sounds obvious, but....

That set-up should be a good blast...... enjoy!
Old 01 June 2011, 12:54   #3

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
I have the 2005 20hp which is 99.99% the same except for some in + out engine restrictions to lower the hp. I don't think they have changed much in the last few years of manufacture..

The only issue I had with my one was when I first started it after buying second hand.. (looks like new). The engine started for a couple of seconds and then stopped blacking the plugs.....

I noticed the choke butterflies were stuck closed. (thought I had bought a duffer for a second)... WD40 and marine grease on the little brass butterfly bearings built into the carb and it will not happen again... Grease all linkages ...... Great engine, will run sweet long after we do.......

If pull cord snaps, the recoil unit can be removed (10mm spanner/socket) and then started by the supplied spare rope like a seagull...
Old 01 June 2011, 13:34   #4

Town: Marlow
Make: Bombard 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke
The motor looks in great condition and started second pull under choke and ran well. I have the spare cord and will be putting a toolbox together for the boat. The engine was serviced last august (receipt in place) but I am unsure whether to get it done again before I use it. I was looking at getting a 50 or 100 hour service done to be sure all is in good order before I use it. Good idea or not really necessary?

She needs a new prop as well as the one on it is pretty dinged up and looks like the original one. Was considering getting a SS one but when I saw the prices I just about fainted! In addition you cannot get the original size and pitch with all the SS ones being larger and increased in pitch. I think she will go fast enough without the need for a faster prop!!