Old 31 July 2015, 01:11   #21

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubcat View Post
Well a decision has been made.

My local dealer traded in a 2011 60hp 4 stroke Mercury which I think is the similar to the Yamaha F60.

I did want a brand new motor but the price is considerably less than half of a brand new one and it looks brand new under the cowl so it is being fitted today. I can give it back if I don't like it and get a full credit towards a new motor, so not much to lose.

I would have preferred a 70 but it is too good a deal to pass up.

Thank you for all your input.

Will update when I get the boat but any suggestions on prop size. The motor currently has a 15 inch Mirage stainless prop.
Just need to get out among all those whales now (we've been seeing heaps down here).

Jon
Old 01 August 2015, 20:49   #22

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Jonp, next week hoping to take Lunasea, our 9m rib out to go whale watching, it's the first time I will get a full day off work in a month or so.
Old 01 August 2015, 20:54   #23

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1438462433.493439.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	107560

Went for the first run today.

There is no tachometer fitted, but my first impression is that the 15 pitch prop seems way too much. Not getting anywhere near the revs it needs and top speed only 22 knots.

When put the boat on the trailer I realised it had a lot of water in it. I did not have the plug that seals the under deck area in and the one way valve on the transom was acting more two way and letting water in.

The cavitation plate looks about an inch below the transom with the motor mounted on the second lowest setting. Needs to go up a hole, probably two, I think. It was so deep that underway we couldn't see the cav plate as it was so far under water. Having that much water in the boat and four passengers probably didn't help, neither would the fin mounted to the plate.
Old 01 August 2015, 22:39   #24

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
My outboard sits on the second highest so you may be right to lift it a couple. leaving the bung out as well as 4 passengers is going to have quite some effect on the load, especially while getting to know the boat.

When it comes to props you really need to know what rpm you are getting so that the likes of solas props can help you out. All props can give quite different results even with the same pitch and dia. Many of the solas props have bigger blade area meaning a smaller pitch is needed than the same size as a different make. Solas let you swap props free until you are happy with the end result but the place that fitted the engine should also supply you with the right prop.

Jon