Old 08 November 2010, 05:44   #1

Town: East coast
Boat name: Expensive
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
Rmoving tilt & trim

Hi

I have a Honda bf130a 4st. The tilt trim unit needs overhaul. I have identified the parts that need replacing (o rings, rods are pitted so changing them so they don't damage the new o rings), but am told I need to remove the unit from boat and engine.

Has anyone done this before? Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks

G
Old 08 November 2010, 10:20   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Not a Honda, but I have dismantled a Yam & a Merc.

" basic types - single ram & 3 ram. the single ram is just a case of propping the engine, disconnecting the electrical wires, then finding out what stops the two big pins (top & bottom) falling out, removing that & pulling the two pins out. I've seen both split pin & circlips doing that job. No idea how Honda does it.

At 130 Hp you will likely have a "3 ram" type, in which case you are looking at removing the whole of the bottom of your clamp bracket.

Again, prop the engine & remove the top pin as above. Then undo the three (That's a guess!) bolts either side at the bottom that hold the PT "lump" onto the clamps. Remember you may have an anode under thare too, which may need removed.

This is moment of truth. If Honda don't use mating features (as per my Merc), it will just drop out. if, like Yam, they do you will need to loosen the the clamp - transom bolts and the steering / tilt tube to spread the clamps and get some clearance to let it drop out.

Hope that helps.