Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 09 November 2010, 14:45   #1

Town: Locmariaquer
Length: 4m +
Remote fuel tank conversion on Johnson/Suzuki DF4

Hi,

I have a Johnson J4R4SD 4hp outboard (same engine as Suzuki DF4, just rebadged as Johnson) which, as on the standard Suzuki DF4, doesn't have a remote fuel tank connector, contrary to the DF5 and DF6.

I'm looking into fitting a fuel connector and trying to find out what's involved, and whether the fuel pump is the same on engines with and without a fuel connector.

If there are any Suzuki DF5 or DF6 owners on this forum, can you do me a favour and send detailed pictures of the engine head with the cover taken off showing the fuel pump and the fuel hose connections to the fuel connector?

Many thanks,
Pascal
Old 09 November 2010, 22:17   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I used to have a Johnzuki 6hp and from what I remember the fuel changeover was just a T connector and the pump sucked fuel from whatever source was selected i.e. the internal tank or the external line.

A couple of photos of it here http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33905 not sure if they are any good to you or not as they were not intended to show the fuel feed.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 09:35   #3

Do you remember how the fuel cock operated? Was it that way:

on: fuel flows from integral tank or remote tank
off: fuel cut off

Was there any way to select whether the fuel should come from the internal tank or the remote tank when the cock was on?

Regards,
Pascal
Old 10 November 2010, 11:05   #4

Town: Worthing
Boat name: None
Make: Narwal
Engine: Suzuki DF60
Hi Pascal,
Suzuki do not make a kit to convert your 4 to 5 & 6 fuel supply with external tank. However it is a simple plumbing job with a few parts. I have costed the parts required for the conversion. £34.27 + vat. We give a 10% discount to Ribnet Members. After completion the fuel tap becomes a change over tap between internal and external tanks.
The parts required are the external fuel connector and protective cover, bolt and washer. 600mm of fuel hose. A 3 way elbow. And 4 fuel hose clamps. The fuel system will then be identical to the DF5 and 6.
Call us if you require the parts or any more info.
Aquatec
01903 762610
Old 10 November 2010, 22:53   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Do you remember how the fuel cock operated? Was it that way:

on: fuel flows from integral tank or remote tank
off: fuel cut off

Was there any way to select whether the fuel should come from the internal tank or the remote tank when the cock was on?

Regards,
Pascal
From what I remember it was a lever moving through 90 degrees and one position was "on for internal tank" the other was "off for internal tank and on for external feed" - so when transporting the engine you used the second position. I think my new Merchatsu is the same but to be honest I've not got as far as worrying about the external feed yet ... some way down the "to do list"

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 17:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatec View Post
Hi Pascal,
Suzuki do not make a kit to convert your 4 to 5 & 6 fuel supply with external tank. However it is a simple plumbing job with a few parts. I have costed the parts required for the conversion. £34.27 + vat. We give a 10% discount to Ribnet Members. After completion the fuel tap becomes a change over tap between internal and external tanks.
The parts required are the external fuel connector and protective cover, bolt and washer. 600mm of fuel hose. A 3 way elbow. And 4 fuel hose clamps. The fuel system will then be identical to the DF5 and 6.
Call us if you require the parts or any more info.
Aquatec
01903 762610
Is the connector the same on Johnson and Suzuki versions of the outboard? Is it an OMC one, like the one the picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omc.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	55467