Click Here to Login

Old 17 June 2013, 08:02   #1

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
Redbay storm force prop advice

I have recently bought a used storm force 6.1 complete with a Suzuki df140, the engine has low hours and runs sweet. I understand that the boat was delivered with a 14 x 21 aluminium prop and still the same. I have recently used the boat on a family holiday and noticed that even with just one person i could not get the engine above 5400 rpm trimmed out. I also noticed that when I had three or more young adults it was not that fast out of the hole.

Do any of you have any experience with this hull, I know that propellers are not an exact science. Funds are tight so can't really stretch to a stainless 14x20, I am thinking of either sending my own aluminium off to have the pitch changed to a 19 or try and find another prop to try before I buy.

I have access to a 13.75 x 19 but not sure if that will help.

Any advice very welcome
Old 17 June 2013, 09:32   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A slight increase in revs would probably be a good thing, the recommended operating range being 5600-6200. I'm curious, what top speed are you getting at the moment, one up? Also, what layout is the RIB, quad jockeys/double console of different. Are you carrying much kit? Also, is the hull void completely dry?
Old 17 June 2013, 09:34   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit3 View Post
I have recently bought a used storm force 6.1 complete with a Suzuki df140, the engine has low hours and runs sweet. I understand that the boat was delivered with a 14 x 21 aluminium prop and still the same. I have recently used the boat on a family holiday and noticed that even with just one person i could not get the engine above 5400 rpm trimmed out. I also noticed that when I had three or more young adults it was not that fast out of the hole.

Do any of you have any experience with this hull, I know that propellers are not an exact science. Funds are tight so can't really stretch to a stainless 14x20, I am thinking of either sending my own aluminium off to have the pitch changed to a 19 or try and find another prop to try before I buy.

I have access to a 13.75 x 19 but not sure if that will help.

Any advice very welcome
I would definately Try the 13 prop....IF you can Borrow it First even better!My Boating mate Chris realy changed the Handleing on his Osprey7m when he changed props on his Honda 225! Faster Hole shot,Better Top end AND better Fuel consumption!!...so it sometimes can be done!!
However, depending on your own asperations of how you'd like the boat to perform...and what loads you carry??.. you may find a Bigger power plant is the only way to go.
Redbays..like (Ribcraft) are a Heavey Layup,and realy good Sea Boats,however IMO Both do need a fair amount of Power to get the Full potential from them.Mick on our recent trip to Oban uses Twin 90's which work well!
Drop Chris a pm..it may help.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 09:57   #4

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
I kept an eye on the GPS and logged a max speed during my one weeks holiday of 40mph, which I guess is not bad and I believe the max speed was me in it on my own running back to a buoy.

I am not looking for a top speed increase just a bit more mid range punch and improved out of hole response.

The boat has the standard redbay double width console with four jockeys moulded to it, no extra weight, boat used for pleasure and not set up as dive boat.

I agree the boat is beamy and hence needs some shove,but i thought the 140 would be a bit more responsive. The hull void is dry.

Thanks for your feedback
Old 17 June 2013, 10:12   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
40mph is around 35kts, not far off what this RIB/engine combo will do. I've seen one running at 37kts one up. It can't hurt to drop a pitch and increase the revs, maybe improve the hole shot a bit. A you say, a very beamy boat and heavy with it - but absolutely superb in a bit of a sea!
Old 17 June 2013, 11:59   #6

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
You won't be the fastest boat on the water but safe and solid