Click Here to Login

Old 02 August 2016, 13:43   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: N/A
Make: HONWAVE
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner 10hp
Recommendations for New and Used Mariner Parts

I was hoping that you might be able to enlighten me on where's best to order new and used parts.

I have a 10 hp mariner that had been used on remotes and I'm converting it back to the tiller. I need simple things like bushes and spacers. I've just spoke to one parts distributer and he wanted almost £50 for two very small bushes part No. 23-823939 (about 2mm thick!) a little pricey I thought...but is this the way it's going to be; I'm new to outboard tinkering and parts seem scarce?

Looking online, it seems way cheaper to buy from the states, I'm also happy with used parts where possible.

Thanks
Old 02 August 2016, 14:01   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well in my experience yes indeed buying stupid small parts (if still available) for older outboards is out of all proportion to their value and can make something like BMW car parts look cheap! I've not found any massive price difference between differing UK sources for new OE parts... but I have found a big difference between the helpfulness of dealers to looking up obscure small parts. For example my local very small & quite tatty Mercury/Mariner dealer will look parts up on his PC and let you look at the details over his shoulder so you can see what's what re availability and pricing. Charges retail or therabouts though.

Folks on here have received good service from Black Dog Marine so you could try them... Black Dog Marine. Outboard, Inboard Parts And Accessories

Used it's down to Ebay really or the rare chance someone on here is breaking the same model. Just be wary on Ebay there's a guy breaking OBs in Cambrishire who has been a heap of trouble in the past... but his recent record looks better so if he's the only guy with what you want...

Obviously all the common service parts are easier to source though.
Old 02 August 2016, 14:10   #3

Thanks for your quick response. First impressions certainly align with yours and the OB isn't even that old (2006).

I will do a little more research and see what I can come up with, I'd seen a post about Black Dog Marine and had tried calling but no answer so will try again.

So far found this website incredibly useful in identifying how components breakdown in addition to their part numbers: Mercury / Mariner (10 / 15 Seapro / Marathon-10 / 15 Viking (2-Stroke)) Engine Components

The prices are generally much more reasonable than the UK, however I don't think they ship to the UK.
Old 02 August 2016, 19:01   #4

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
I have a couple of those bushes spare, what other parts do you need?
Old 02 August 2016, 19:32   #5

Always handy if you've some spares, I need numbers 2, 8 and 10 from the following link: Swivel Head & Steering Handle for Mercury / Mariner (10 / 15 Seapro / Marathon-10 / 15 Viking (2-Stroke)) Engine

I'm still working my way through the conversion but I think that's all that's missing for now... Also need service parts, impeller etc but I guess I'll check out eBay or similar. Send me a pm with some more details? Thanks
Old 03 August 2016, 17:43   #6

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbarwell View Post
I've just spoke to one parts distributer and he wanted almost £50 for two very small bushes part No. 23-823939 (about 2mm thick!) a little pricey I thought...
Think you need to find another dealer.....

Mercury parts finder shows them as £12.45 + vat each
Old 04 August 2016, 10:38   #7

Do you have a link for 'Mercury parts finder'?

I've had a number of prices for a few bits, but nothing as competitive as that. Unfortunately they don't come as a pair either....

If anyone has any second hand in good shape then I'm interested, perhaps they've swapped to controls. In the mean time I'm hoping Samt will come back to me ��
Old 05 August 2016, 17:07   #8

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1470416866.526595.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	114895