Old 03 August 2004, 17:09   #1

Town: south shields
Boat name: jessiesue
Make: avon searider
Length: 4m
Engine: 40hp mariner pull start l/s
pull cord snapped

hi guys, me again, can't belive what happened the other day, managed to get everything together for a days ribbing,went down to the slip and managed to get the boat in the water (no m,ean feat when you are on your own) and on the first pull of the cord the bloody thing snapped, right when it was fully drawn out, so had to pack everything up and go home. now on closer inspection, it looks like quite a complicated job to replace the cord. i thought i could just pull the cover off and feed a new cord through, but is there some kind of spring mechanism inside that i should be aware of, ie, it won't unravel if i take it to bit's. and do i have to mark it so it goes back together exactly the way it was, or can i just dismantle it wrap a new cord around the disc and feed it out to the handle grip, any advice gratfully accepted
Old 03 August 2004, 19:14   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
You will need 2 pairs of hands to do this. Remove the starter plate from the engine. turn over and remove any bits of string leftover. Wind rotor anti-clockwise until springis fully wound up. Thread new string through the cover plate and then into the side of the rotor plate and tie off with a knot. Gently release the rotor against the spring and the string will be wound in giving you the correct length and direction.

If you undo the big nut in the middle chances are the coil spring will come out and then your on your own.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Cord.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	7302  
Old 04 August 2004, 14:20   #3

thanks pete, you have just saved me from commiting suicide, i WAS going to undo the centre nut but as i say you saved the day, it's amazing what advice you can get if you only ask, i will try the repair this weekend and let you know how i get on

CHEERS
Old 04 August 2004, 15:18   #4

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
best of luck mate, I got a 4m searider too - is it easy enough to launch on your own then okay? - Mines still being fixed up
Old 05 August 2004, 09:24   #5

hello matey, yes the sea rider is a great boat for using on your own, i can manage to launch and recover mine relativily easly, depending how severe your slip angle is you will have no probs, mine is nice and gradual, one problem i encounter every time though is that when you come to winch the boat back on to the trailer( i dis-connect mine so as not to get my car near the salt water), once you start winching the wight of the boat+ engine+water inthe hull, tends to lift the nose of the trailer, whitch makes winching very awkward, until you have so much of the boat on the trailer that it then forces the nose back down. one way around this prob would be to leave your trailer connected to your car, but as i say i don't like to. other than that, no probs
Old 05 August 2004, 09:30   #6

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
cheers seaskimmer - I must buy a winch for my trailer I havent actually got one! - i'm not bothered about chucking my 4x4 suzuki sj in the sea too much, as I'll rinse her after along with the boat cheers for the advice mate