Old 23 April 2004, 14:23   #1

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Pacific 22 re engining

More help requested please!

I've just been to look at a P22 for sale with a view to buying. However, it has been very extensively modified from the original Halmatic design, as follows.

Engine has been changed to Volvo close coupled sterndrive right against the transom. Fuel tank (probably) in the forward part of original engine bay, no idea of size, bound to be bigger than original. Very little info on this boat!

However, have found out from locals that this boat has a history! Apparently the previous owner left it on a fore and aft mooring in a river heading downstream, and inadvertently left the auto bilge pump off. Allegedly when the tide changed, the current forced water over the stern and swamped the engine compartment, causing suficient damage to destroy the engine.

Can some Pacific 22 owners tell me if this sounds feasible, is there really that little boyancy aft in the P22 to keep the deck above water with the engine moved 4' aft? Especially as this engine would be lighter than the mermaid. Or did it just sink with an accumulation of rain water, which sounds more likely.

Thanks for your repeated help... I'm going to get one!

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2004, 15:05   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
My boat is moored 6 month of the year without auto bilge pump and I find that at most I get 2 of 3 inches of rain in the rear bilge over a 2 week.

One of the joys of the P22 is its low transom because it lets water out so quickly, if you stuff it most of the water flows over the transom which is only 6” heigh the rest goes through the deck height sluices. The down side of this design is that in reverse water tends to come in but because the deck is water proof to a depth of 16” it is not a problem.

Who ever changed the design of your boat lost these feature with their modifications.
Old 23 April 2004, 15:09   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Roo, probably a combination of both. the decks are not glassed down like most ribs so it is quite likely that rain water got in. It might be possible for the deck, normally above the water line, to get low enough for salt water to flood the deck before the huge reserve of bouyancy in the tubes starts to take effect as the tubes are clear of the water when a standard Pacific is lightly loaded. Especially as the stern drain letter boxes are at deck level and only a couple of inches above the water line.

I keep mine in the water during the summer and other than an occasional pump out if its been raining heavily never had a problem yet, until I met a yachtie but thats another story.

However with a non standard boat the balance of the boat could be anyones guess. Since you are starting with a blank canvass you could return her to standard pacific layout or keep her with a close coupled stern drive. The easiest would be to put another volvo back in her, but was that a petrol volvo? people buy Pacifics because they are cheap diesel ribs, not sure if you could sell her easily with a big petrol volvo in her.

Pete
Old 23 April 2004, 15:16   #4

Thinking about it, I willing to bet the reason Halmatic put the engine on a 2 foot jack shaft was so that the boat was better balanced with decks above the water line at rest.

Agree with Des, who ever changed the design may have lost this feature.

Pete
Old 23 April 2004, 16:43   #5

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Thanks again Pete and others, it's not really practicable to go back to a standard P22 layout with this boat, as it has a watertight bulkhead at the forward end of the new new engine position and the original engine beds have been cut down - major modifications. Think I'll give it a miss, too many if's and buts, got a feeling it may turn out to be a very expensive cheap boat.

Ruairidh

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2004, 17:06   #6

Roo, agreed, you could have spent alot of money ending up with something that is an unknown quantity. Pacific 22s are always coming up for sale and with a standard one that you can sea trial at least you know what your getting and if it all works or not.

Pete