Old 10 May 2005, 20:37   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Bleeding thing!

Right, the day has come and I tried to bleed my Baystar steering. All started well without a drop being spilt. Followed as per instructions and all seemed to be going smoothly.

Then.......My nearly full jamjar got knocked over and fluid went everywere! After it seemed that all air had been purged from the system I carried out two tests that the manual suggests.

The 1st was to partly fill the filler tube and move the helm to and fro quickly, if the fluid jumped there was still air in the system. Yes it did jump!

The 2nd was to at full lock pressure test the system, which is what I did. Yes it did leak, out of the cylinder T peice.

After correcting the T peice leak I repeated the bleed procedure. Twice! All the fluid is comming out clean, with no bubbles. Still the fluid jumps in the tube and the helm sounds a little noisy when turned.

In the end I had to stop (Rain stopped play). I screwed the filler cap on the helm and turned the wheel.......Silly, oil everywhere .

I did have to re-use the oil a number of times as I only got two litres with the kit, I was extremely careful not to get it contaminated, however there where quite a few microscopic bubbles in the oil after it had gone though the initial fill and purge. I waited as long as I could before reusing the oil, so allowing most of the bubbles to rise to the surface.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it could be the microscopic bubbles or something else like air trapped in the cylinder?

Andy
Old 10 May 2005, 22:27   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
What are your thoughts? Andy
Stick the cable steering back on mate

You won't get all the air out first time, what it needs is a days ribbing in the solent then have a second go at it.

Pete
Old 10 May 2005, 22:31   #3
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Hi Andy,

Hydraulic steerings good fun isn't it?!!

You really need to let the oil sit for a while before reusing it - those little microscopic bubbles don't half add up.

I found if while filling the system you turn the wheel hard over and then keep going until the pressure relief valve triggers you get a load of air out the system. After doing this a few times on both sides I got rid of all the air from my system.

A good test to see if there is air in the system is to trim the engine up and then go from lock to lock. If there is air in the system the steering/engine will judder as the engine moves from vertical to horizontal. You can also work out which side of the system is affected most.

Basically it’s a bugger to bleed perfectly. If only Cookee lived a bit closer to the Solent.
Old 16 May 2005, 20:38   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Hi Andy

So how did the new steering work out. Is it all up and running now? Is it much better than standard non-hydraulic?

Keith

PS Sent you a PM
Old 17 May 2005, 07:49   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL

Basically it’s a bugger to bleed perfectly. If only Cookee lived a bit closer to the Solent.
Yeah we have the seastar power bleed system - it does most of the work for you without spilling a drop!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 16:55   #6

Waited till the following day to proceed and all those micro bubbles did fuse together to make one big one. Trouble with these DIY kits is that you have to recycle the oil to get all the major air out of the system, they only give you 2 litres.

Went out the weekend and Brilliant, takes some getting used to with the extra turns on the wheel but I'm very pleased and is the last upgrade I will do on Kohaku on the current hull.

Havn't opened her fully up as yet but will take her out next weekend for a blast.

Andy
Old 17 May 2005, 17:12   #7

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
the last upgrade I will do on Kohaku on the current hull.

Andy
Is this the start of another cunning plan
Old 17 May 2005, 17:22   #8

Yes it is Neal, but will have to wait till funds and experience allow. I'm always on the lookout for a bargain and am interested on how the Leeway and Slim Tim projects progress, I'll be starting from scratch tho and length is limited to the space out the front of the house, so that'll be 6m Max. I'm rather keen on the XS550 as it's had some rather good feedback and shouldn't be too slow with a 90 4stroke behind.

Dream, Dream, Dream!!