Old 11 October 2023, 14:19   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Another fuel thread - Old fuel

Rather than add to the Aspen thread with something mostly off topic I thought I'd start from scratch.

In the next few weeks I'll be at the point of firing up the 225 Opti I've put on my RIB in place of the old Suzuki 200EFI
Most of the jobs are ticked off the list, including completely new external filter assembly etc, but I do still need to buy all new fuel hose.

However, the 120l underdeck tank has somewhere between 30 and 70l of 4yr old supermarket pump fuel in it.
The tank hasn't been completely drained or cleaned out for at least 15 years, and has always been open to atmosphere via the breather.
I'm assuming there has been a build up of water in there from condensation etc.

So I really don't want to use that old possibly contaminated fuel for the Opti, Lady Nasher won't let it anywhere near her Mini, and even if I was prepared to put it in my motorcycles(all EFI) I'd have to dilute it so much with fresh it would take me years to get through it.

Making one of my posts in the Aspen fuel thread reminded me I needed to do something about it.

I called the number I'd been given a while back for a local friendly and helpful mis-fuel company, explained the situation and the guy chuckled as soon as I mentioned a Boat.
He reckons he pumps out at least 1 boat tank a fortnight down here on the South Coast for various reasons, but mainly because the fuel is so old.
£199 to pump it out, right to the bottom, flush a bit of new around, pump that out and dispose of the waste.

Now actually £199 doesn't feel that bad, but I'd be quite happy to pump/syphon it out myself.
But, how the hell do you dispose of waste fuel?

Anyone want to chance it?
Bring your own containers.
Old 11 October 2023, 14:34   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Our tip will take old fuel and as such there is no stated limit. Only downside you have to take it in an approved can/container and leave that with them. Now if you had someone local to you who’d bought Aspen in a 25l drum and would give you the drum that’s a start. Perhaps worth phoning the local tip to see their rules?
Old 11 October 2023, 14:50   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Unfortunately no Hampshire household waste centres accept any type of fuel.
They suggest contacting a commercial waste contractor.

They do accept a max of 10l of Engine oil per household every 6 months but every time I've tried with a 5l container in the last few years I've simply been told the container is Full. How they'd police the 10l/6 months I don't know.
Old 11 October 2023, 14:58   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
People will take *anything* if free - I'd just get a load of old 5 litre containers (local dump used oil station normally has a pile of them) pop an ad on FBMP or your local freeads group or even (if desperate) a sign outside your drive?? Someone will gladly take it I'm sure.
Old 11 October 2023, 16:48   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
“IF” it was me, I’d syphon/pump it out into some containers. Callifudge a makeshift polishing rig with a filter/water separator & some kind of pump & polish the fuel. I’d then dump it back in the tank & take the boat for a run around some bumpy roads & get the tank agitated. Drain the fuel again & re-polish & see how much crap has come out of the tank. If it’s relatively clean, I’d make a call on whether to repeat the process or not. When I was happy that the tank was clean, I’d polish the fuel again, & gradually blend it into the tank with fresh fuel & use it.
Sounds more faffy than it actually is.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 17:08   #6

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
When I put the new Hondas on I did what Dave suggested, bought a 12 v syphon pump took all the petrol out and ran it through a big water separator filter several times.
I mixed it with fresh fuel and also in our ran some in the daughters car.
Old 11 October 2023, 22:01   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
How big is the tank?

If you can remove the water and polish the fuel I'd just top it up with super and use it.

Optis will happily run on far worse fuel than you'd expect. They're designed for American market, and the military use them...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 11:07   #8

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
@Nasher :

As long as the fuel smells OK, it'll be usable - although completely agree you perhaps don't want to burn it in Mrs Nasher's car or in the nice clean fuel system of the opti.

How about - decant it in to these : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195510693373
And as long as it smells OK, it's almost certainly still usuable - and then when you put new fuel in the boat, you can then put some of this in too, diluted.

It's no problem getting the fuel out - just a question of what you want to do with it after.

Re. engine oil - Usually I just take the 5L oil bottles, refilled with old oil and lids on, sealed, and leave them on the waste oil tank, rather than empty them in. Avoids the "please sir, can you unlock it" convo.
Old 12 October 2023, 12:44   #9

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Although I have no experience of internal tanks, PD's suggestion #5 of using the old "cleaned" fuel to flush out the tank sounds like a good one to me even if you don't then go onto using the old fuel.
Old 12 October 2023, 14:35   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Its odd Easedale that you have this obsession with not maintaining items to the point that you spend time chasing folks around the forum who carry out work correctly.

Interesting too that you trouble to put up that old Vauxhall as if some validation of the don't bother and it will be OK theory.

To fill in the gaps re that car I note the last time you MOT'd it the year before it came off the road it failed amassing 14 defects... pretty good demonstration that abandoning care and maintenance does not make for a better device/engine/boat/motor. Bald tyres and down to the cords too... tch tch. I honestly can't remember the last time I'd seen a list like that...

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))
Offside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))
Offside Rear Tyre has ply or cords damaged (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Windscreen damaged but not adversely affecting driver's view (3.2 (a) (i))
Offside Front Windscreen wiper blade defective (3.4 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Headlamp lens slightly defective cloudy (4.1.1 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Headlamp lens slightly defective cloudy (4.1.1 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
Offside Front Upper Anti-roll bar ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Items removed from driver's view prior to test sat nav
Rear Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))
Nearside Front fog lamp inop
Front Exhaust mounting defective near flexi joint (6.1.2 (a))
Rear Exhaust mounting defective near "y" pipe (6.1.2 (a))
Old 12 October 2023, 14:52   #11

@Simon - in terms of "breaking the stalemate" for you, I have certainly got enough cans here to hold 80 litres or so of fuel in sealed containers, maybe even 100, I can't remember. That'd solve part 1 of your problem. But I would need the cans back since I use them to drain my own boats over winter.

Part 2 of the problem is what to do with it if you have no vehicles to run it through. I have disposed of 20-30 litres on the compost heap before, on a damp wintery day. Or breakers yards can take it - they frequently drain fuel tanks, of course.
Old 12 October 2023, 17:00   #12

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
@Simon - in terms of "breaking the stalemate" for you, I have certainly got enough cans here to hold 80 litres or so of fuel in sealed containers, maybe even 100, I can't remember. That'd solve part 1 of your problem. But I would need the cans back since I use them to drain my own boats over winter.

Part 2 of the problem is what to do with it if you have no vehicles to run it through. I have disposed of 20-30 litres on the compost heap before, on a damp wintery day. Or breakers yards can take it - they frequently drain fuel tanks, of course.
I’ve found old petrol is good at killing weeds
Old 12 October 2023, 18:50   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I’ve found old petrol is good at killing weeds

And old oil mixed with old diesel makes an excellent creosote substitute
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 20:04   #14

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
When i had 60 litres to get rid of a friend came up with a friend who delivered me 4 or more old military style 20l cans ,he wanted the petrol to mix i believe for an old Rusian tank he ran offroad for fun ..........is it any use for old tractors that ran on petrol/parrafin mixes ??
Old 12 October 2023, 20:34   #15

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Notice on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace.

It will be like a scene from Mad Max. Folk will be turning up with saucepans.

Wish I was closer, I’d take 20 litres from you. That’d run the old Honda 4-stroke mower and 2-stroke strimmer for the summer, and then some.

Surprised some of you guys are struggling to get rid of used engine oil. I do my own mechanics as you know, so always have engine oil to get shot of. I have 25 litre drum, no questions.
Old 12 October 2023, 21:02   #16

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Its odd Easedale that you have this obsession with not maintaining items to the point that you spend time chasing folks around the forum who carry out work correctly.
I think what plumbs is trying to say in his own way is that a lot of people on here maybe do unnecessary maintenance. [emoji848]

There are also people on here who spend more time cleaning and talking about their boats than actually using them 🤷🏼
Old 12 October 2023, 22:31   #17

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I think what plumbs is trying to say in his own way is that a lot of people on here maybe do unnecessary maintenance. [emoji848]

There are also people on here who spend more time cleaning and talking about their boats than actually using them [emoji1743]
When is maintenance unnecessary? I'd say Never!
Some folk touch up every chip & scratch & shine and polish things till you can see your face in the item, its not unnecessary to the person who likes his stuff clean & shiny, Why should anyone ridicule someone for making something the most reliable it can be? Just because easdaleplumbs can't be arsed to maintain anything & clearly just runs things till they stop why does he feel the need to encourage others to follow suit? Surely its in everyone's interests to encourage folk to look after their gear to help keep everyone safe. boats aren't like cars, your life could easily depend on your boat engine. Frankly some of the stuff he comes out with is just plain stupidity & it's usually posted in a manner clearly designed to create arguments & friction. Most folk around here know hes the resident clown/troll/idiot but there may just be the odd folk who actually think some of what he posts is credible
Old 13 October 2023, 05:01   #18

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post

There are also people on here who spend more time cleaning and talking about their boats than actually using them ����
That is indeed true. I use my boats a lot and I have very few issues. I do some maintenance contrary to some peoples belief and that seems to work well for me. I know others who do the same. Others seem to like to polish the outside of their spark plugs. Some people prefer the waxing and seldom surf. But each to their own. There is no right or wrong answer but some can’t seem to accept that

There is a time to Surf and a time to wax your board.

Anyone know where that little gem is from
Old 13 October 2023, 05:15   #19

Town: Colchester
Unnecessary maintenance is also costly to people and the environment. Imagine all those impellers in landfill that were perfect and all that oil and so called ‘old petrol ‘ people pour down the drain or use as weed killer. The green brigade are not happy
Old 13 October 2023, 06:45   #20

Anyway, let’s get this back on topic for Nasher.
Anyone fancy filling a jerrycan with a few free litres of fuel - bit old, but probably fine.