6 Hp outboard?

I want a new 6 Hp for my SIB ,any suggestions please , thanks
Old 04 February 2021, 18:58   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Broadly speaking all the major brands will serve you well for performance and reliability. Your choice may be swayed by proximity of nearest dealer, price, personal feeling re most trusted brand. Check out which is the best weight and if any has special features important to you.

I usually get all the maker's webpages up in different windows and compare specs/pictures.
Old 04 February 2021, 20:48   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorsman View Post
I want a new 6 Hp for my SIB ,any suggestions please , thanks
Mercury/Mariner/Tohatsu 2.5/3.5hp 82cc engines are all made by Tohatsu and can be uprated to 5hp simply by fitting a 5hp carb. That's 5hp for just 18kg and there's an abundance of nearly new examples for sale and they are really cheap.

I just ordered a 5hp kit which comprises carb and an aluminium prop to take advantage of the extra power.

The next size up is 4/5/6hp 123cc and they have a reverse gear which pushes the weight up to 26kg and you can't uprate them beyond 6hp and there's a step change in price.

Suzuki 4/5/6 hp models are made by themselves, 138cc so may have a little extra torque and it should also be possible to uprate the 4hp to 6hp. I don't know about Yamaha but this group test was interesting:
https://www.mby.com/gear/ultimate-5h...p-test-50627/5
Old 05 February 2021, 11:35   #4

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
A consideration might be battery charging ? Not all at that size do.
Old 05 February 2021, 11:58   #5

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
A consideration might be battery charging ? Not all at that size do.

Hi Moorsman, I have a Suzuki 6hp, with a 3 metre Sib. Weighs 23kg. So far pleased with my choice. My previous boat had a Mariner (30hp), which I found to be very reliable, and frugal.
I took advice from the dealer I know, and trust.
With no axe to grind( he knew someone else was doing the deal, ) for the 6hp, he recommended the Suzuki over Mercury /Mariner option. I think they do a version with charging, as an option, if that’s important. I’ve gone without, to keep things simple.
There are many fans here of the two strokes for good power to weight ratio. My suzuki( still low hours) pushes my takacat easily at 12 knots in a mild chop, and I think as it beds in, will do a bit better.
It has a small integral fuel tank( 45 mins or so at 3/4 throttle, ) but can be connected to separate tank. The smaller Suzukis only run on integral tank, so range is limited.
A great range of different options, and experienced users here, so take your pick !
Old 10 February 2021, 10:21   #6

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
I also have the Suzuki DF6A on my 3.6m and highly recommend it for that HP rating.

I do now want a 15hp, of course... [emoji23]
Old 10 February 2021, 11:23   #7

Town: Whitby
Boat name: Duck
Make: Zodiak
Engine: Outboard
6 Hp

Thanks all for your help ,I have decided to go with Suzuki looks good .
Old 22 July 2021, 13:04   #8

Town: Leeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Mercury/Mariner/Tohatsu 2.5/3.5hp 82cc engines are all made by Tohatsu and can be uprated to 5hp simply by fitting a 5hp carb. That's 5hp for just 18kg and there's an abundance of nearly new examples for sale and they are really cheap.

I just ordered a 5hp kit which comprises carb and an aluminium prop to take advantage of the extra power.
old thread I know but can you tell me where you can get these kits please? I've got a 3.5hp Mercury and interested in upgrading... Are there any downsides?
Old 22 July 2021, 14:32   #9

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlotion View Post
old thread I know but can you tell me where you can get these kits please? I've got a 3.5hp Mercury and interested in upgrading... Are there any downsides?
No downsides. Here's the US site where I purchased mine from, I didn't get hit for any import duties fortunately
Tohatsu 3.5HP to 5HP 4-Stroke Upgrade Kit (Carburetor and Propeller)

You can also buy alloy props, carbs (Chinese copy or genuine Mikuni) from eBay uk. In fact I got a spare alloy prop for just £12 with a bigger pitch than the metric one in the kit, 7.4" vs 4.7" (marked 118x115). Mikuni carbs are £150, search ebay description: Genuine Tohatsu 5HP 4-Stroke Outboard Carburettor Assembly 3GR-03200-0

The Chinese knock-off seems to perform just fine and I saw a brand new carb for just £30, it wasn't clear if it was jetted 4hp or 5hp. I had the vernier calipers comparing 3.5 vs 5hp and it seems that venturi and bore sizes are the same. Only difference looking at parts listings is the jetting, therefore it's not inconceivable to re-jet your existing carb. I wonder about the bore size of a 6hp carb, these will also bolt straight on and that's what I'd buy if doing it over again. Part no. 3R4-03200-1

Prop link:
F6 Propeller Alloy 815084 Mercury Mariner Outboard 2.2HP - 3.3HP 7.4 x 5.7"

Here's a review:

Be sure to report back how you get on.

Tags
outboard