Old 23 August 2012, 16:49   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: n/a
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 1966 9.5HP Sportwin
1966 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin stuck in gear? Help pls

Hi All

This is only my second post to this site and last time I got a mass of enthusiastic replies, so I'm hoping you guys will again be generous with your time as I ask what to you will probably seem like stupid, stupid questions.

So this engine I've bought looks to be stuck in reverse and yet the prop still turns freely by hand, without moving the engine itself in the slightest. I haven't run the engine yet, since I can't see that will help much, but it isn't seized. The shear/drive pin is intact and so I'm wondering why the prop still turns. Obviously something be buggered, but does anyone know what it might be? Also is it normal that you can't change gears when the engine isn't running? Having never used a outboard with a gear shift before I have no idea. I've seen lower units for sale for these motors before so I'm not overly worried, knowing that I would buy one and swap it over. Any thoughts greatly received.

Cheers guys!

Adriatic

Old 23 August 2012, 16:55   #2

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
I work on these engines for fun in my free time, the 1955-1970 Johnyrudes.

Have you tried removing the gearcase?
then you can shift the gears directly using the shift rods. if that fails too, empty the gearcase of oil, and, since its made out of two halfes, disassemble it.

I'd use that as the last option though, these gearcases are hard to get sealed again once they came apart

I belive it might be the shift linkage bended/broken.
Old 23 August 2012, 16:57   #3

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
start the engine and see if it pumps water, if it does this will tell you that the driveshaft that goes into the gearbox is turning ok.
Old 23 August 2012, 17:03   #4

RIBase
Thats another way... Even though its unlikely that the problem lies with the driveshaft, there's nothing much to be broken there, plus, i'd check the impeller itself first, and check that the engine is REALLY in neutral before starting it, turning propellers are very nasty things.
Old 23 August 2012, 17:05   #5

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Corroded/rotten crankshaft splines are a possibility with a motor of this age.

I like to eliminate things before taking bits off old engines.
Old 23 August 2012, 17:09   #6

RIBase
I never had one with a rotten crankshaft, but still.. usually the gearcase with the impeller pump is take off easily though...

In what state is the engine? you could post a picture maybe
Old 24 August 2012, 12:53   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mextli View Post
since its made out of two halfes, disassemble it.

I'd use that as the last option though, these gearcases are hard to get sealed again once they came apart.
+1
You're not kidding - a whole season until we stopped our old 25 leaking.....

Some easy steps to see what is or isn't connected:
1) disconnect spark plugs so it doesn't start.
2) pull the starter cord. If the prop spins, it's in gear.

3a) if it spins, take note of the direction & work out whether F or R 0- If F, is it even a problem? (plenty of smaller engines are permanently in forward.

3b) If it doesn't spin, get a friend (unless you are half octopus!) and see if you can engage it while the engine is turning (i.e move the grear lever while pulling the starter). It may be as simple as the teeth on the dog clutch are perfectly in line with hose on the F/R gear so no movment. I don't know that gearbox other than the quick Look I just had on an online microfiche, but it may be you need to have them exactly in lineto engage whilst stationary. The engine will normally be running when you engage.

Kind of like ever had to lift & drop the clutch on your car to get it to go into first? (The old Ford Fiestas were bad for that in reverse)
Old 24 August 2012, 13:03   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
+1
You're not kidding - a whole season until we stopped our old 25 leaking.....
After doing 4-5 gearcases you get the hang of it ... it's still a nightmare though!

Anyway, the Dog Clutch on these motors don't need to align perfectly, they have a relatively wide range of movement.

Adriatic if you need any replacement parts i've got lots and lots.
just gimme a shout and i'll see if i have that part in the correct size

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 13:07   #9

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Hey, put that motor on a 5m Rib and it would make an excellent river boat/sailing club rescue.
Old 28 August 2012, 19:53   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: n/a
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 1966 9.5HP Sportwin
Hi Guys, assuming you're all guys, thanks so much for all the advice. I really love the fact that I'm getting sound advice from people hundreds of miles away. Thank you.

As for the engine, no I haven't tried removing the gearcase yet, but I now will do. I haven't tried doing anything so far. I guess I really wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time trying to sort it and since none of you said I was, that's somewhat of a relief. The last time I had it out, my mate spun the prop and I tried to change gear but to no avail. I didn't want to turn over the engine since I didn't know when it was last run and how much oil is left in it. The chap I bought it off seemed legit and really friendly, but I'm now realising that wasn't the case. When I got it the whole motor was covered in a fine layer of grime and whilst I initially didn't think about it and just cleaned it off, I now realise that it was the kind of gunk that accumulates on stuff that gets left in the back of a garage for 10 years. I just hope I don't have to split that gearcase. I've no pictures right now, but will post some once I've found the offending bit of metal (since you seem interested).

Cheers fellas!

Adriatic