Old 01 July 2008, 14:56   #1

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
Business model?

Just curious how you professional guys go about it.

Do you specialize in one area like dive charters, safety boat, fun rides? Or branch out in different areas?

Here locally (Chesapeake Bay) the charter business' seems to be almost exclusively fishing oriented.
Old 07 July 2008, 13:30   #2

I apologize if I'm stepping on toes by asking. I'm located on the Chesapeake bay in the USA. I don't know of a single RIB charter business locally. The only one I'm familiar with is in San Diego California and does "adventure" rides as primary business with dive charters as a secondary.

I'm just curious how it works.
Old 07 July 2008, 21:58   #3

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
lets face it money is money....... if you have a coded charter boat and all the right tickets, then I would say do what you have to do but dont upset the existing market unless you have to?

Make friends with the other guys and be an overflow boat for the first season whilst creating your own charters based on your boat configuration and personal skill set, some people will like your boat better than others, due to boats and them having engines not all of us can guarantee to be available 100% of the time, so offer to be a short notice boat if one of the mainstay fleet goes "tech"....

in any event whats your differentiator from the others? can you get out there quicker? are you a drier ride? can you work the shallows closer than anybody else? what makes you a better boat or are you just "another" boat?

kind regards from blighty

nick
Old 08 July 2008, 03:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
lets face it money is money....... if you have a coded charter boat and all the right tickets, then I would say do what you have to do but dont upset the existing market unless you have to?

Make friends with the other guys and be an overflow boat for the first season whilst creating your own charters based on your boat configuration and personal skill set, some people will like your boat better than others, due to boats and them having engines not all of us can guarantee to be available 100% of the time, so offer to be a short notice boat if one of the mainstay fleet goes "tech"....

in any event whats your differentiator from the others? can you get out there quicker? are you a drier ride? can you work the shallows closer than anybody else? what makes you a better boat or are you just "another" boat?

kind regards from blighty

nick
Ah, I wish I could. I do intend to make the transition ONE day to a maritime career but it's a ways in the future. I grew up on a boat and left that to join the Navy. May sound corny, but I love the sea. I've been trying to get back to her for ten years now.

With a 5 meter RIB and a ten year gap in experience I have a long ways to go, lol!

But I'm working on it. )

Thank you much for the input,

Chuck