Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit555 View Post

This is very sad but glad all ok. I know the owner of ECC very well; he runs a top operation and will be devastated by what happened yesterday.
Old 26 February 2014, 10:58   #3

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
might be of interest:-
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...n%202_2014.pdf
Old 26 February 2014, 15:28   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
not too surprised. A lot of the boats run eberspacher or far east copies. Our mechanics describe them as space heaters for lorries when the driver has his nightly kip in the back of the cab. Not convinced they are up to the job of running flat out 24/7 as they do on many windfarm boats. Ours always gave trouble, although the Chinese copy onboard now does seem more reliable (but its new). Just very glad the boys got off safely...they can build more boats but its a whole different thing if someone loses their life.
Old 26 February 2014, 16:11   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Interesting. Scary too, obviously. As I've said elsewhere, I'm fascinated by the initial reaction of crew to developing problems. In this case the team fought the fire up to the point of abandonment before getting out a MAYDAY call (made from a HH in the raft?). This is a common reaction. I wonder what I would do?
Old 28 February 2014, 20:13   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Interesting. Scary too, obviously. As I've said elsewhere, I'm fascinated by the initial reaction of crew to developing problems. In this case the team fought the fire up to the point of abandonment before getting out a MAYDAY call (made from a HH in the raft?). This is a common reaction. I wonder what I would do?
I've been doing some reading for work (yawn) on command decision making leading to aircraft accidents .....its well worth a google and read of some of the studies about how 'we' work under pressure and when things start to go wrong...( if you're into that kind of thing) .

Interesting that we ignore audio cues as pressure goes up ( think like you really need to read a post on Ribnet about hole drilling - Mrs Willk is shouting 'the XXXXXXX house is on fire' - but you reply ' yes dear'...then you finish reading the post - then realise the house is on fire & shout back ' the house is on fire - why didn't you tell me!!!!!!?'

Similarly if we get that used to stuff (warnings/ lights/ checks etc etc ) we just do it by reflex without actually thinking about what it means - we see or hear or do what we expect not what we actually see/hear etc - like we see all the lights come on the car dash then go out - we are so used to it that if one stays on we may not actually recognise it even though we are seeing it.

Stuff about being challenged as to why things are going on - challenge and response checks etc etc etc

Can get very heavy .....but I'm a nerd so actually find it interesting
Old 28 February 2014, 22:49   #7

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
I'm similarly sad then, as this sort of thing interests me too! Physical reactions too I enjoy Krav Maga and a lot of the defence techniques are based on repetition, ergo muscle memory, so that your physical reaction to a situation comes as reflex. When things happen quickly, if you have to think about your response, then often it's too late and you're already in trouble.

However, going back to your original comment about conditioned responses; I always find it amazing how people follow others in a situation, just due to the peer pressure, for want of a better phrase, or plain ignore a rapidly escalating problem. Hence the reason that in women's self defence classes they're often taught to shout "fire!", rather than "help!", as the majority of us are, despite what we think, more likely to respond to the latter call of distress than the former.

I guess the majority of us are sheep!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2014, 07:23   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
"Mrs Willk is shouting 'the XXXXXXX house is on fire' - but you reply ' yes dear'...then you finish reading the post - then realise the house is on fire & shout back ' the house is on fire - why didn't you tell me!!!!!!?' Similarly if we get that used to stuff (warnings/ lights/ checks etc etc ) we just do it by reflex without actually thinking about what it means - we see or hear or do what we expect not what we actually see/hear etc - ..,,,,,,,we may not actually recognise it even though we are seeing it. :
Suppose its bit like "Target fixation " lol