Old 14 October 2010, 07:50   #1

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Travel advise?

A bit of a long shot - but if anyone has any suggestions they would be welcome.

We (Mrs Cookee and Myself) are going to visit relations in NZ, and whilst we are there want to fly to Wellington from Auckland and hire a camper van/motor-home for the trip back up to Auckland. Does anyone have any suggestions for flight bookings and also a good rental company? Any good places to visit? We're planning on seeing Lake Taupo - it will be a Monday to Friday trip.

We are also planning a trip to Zimbabwe to visit some of my relatives next year - any recommendations on airline for good value and something that won't fall out of the sky? We're hiring a boat whilst we're there on the worlds largest man made lake/reservoir - Link - should be fun!

Thanks guys!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2010, 07:58   #2

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
The vast majority of airlines operating internationally into/out of the UK, tend not to fall out of the sky. These airlines have to comply with the UK & European standards to enter our airspace and therefore are usually safe!
The airlines/operators you need to look out for are the internal/local operators. The safety standards/maintainance are "managed" by the local government and as such are not usually to such a rigorous/high standard.
Having said that, you are MUCH more likely to be killed or injured on a UK road, than flying in any aircraft, anywhere in the world. Sit back and enjoy it ....
Steve
Old 14 October 2010, 08:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
The vast majority of airlines operating internationally into/out of the UK, tend not to fall out of the sky. Sit back and enjoy it ....
Steve
Sorry maybe I overdid my flippancy quota in that post!
Old 14 October 2010, 12:48   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Hi Cookee. When we went to NZ 3 years ago we flew with Singapore Airlines and it was great. Brilliant service, good food and entertainment and really helpful with Tom, who was only 13 months old at the time (I know that bit won't really interest you!).

It also means you stop over/change flights at Changi Airport which is a lovely airport and, if your stopover is for 4 hours or more (ours wasn't :-( ) you get a free bus tour of the city. Also, pack your swim stuff because there's a swimming pool at the airport.

Both Singapore Airlines & Changi Airport seem to be highly rated by others too.

We did a very short visit to Lake Taupo and it was very nice. We also visited the Haka (Huka?) Falls and saw one of the jet boats doing its 'thing'! The part of our visit that we most enjoyed was going up to the north coast (Whakatane to Tauranga) and, if we had had time, we would have gone further along to the Coromandel Peninsula and Bay of Islands.

Hope you have a lovely time there (and neither of you is vegetarian!!!).
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2010, 13:24   #5

Town: Victoria
Boat name: Further
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50hp 4 strk Yamaha
Motor home rentals in NZ

Hi Cookee, there are a few reputable rental/hire agencies down that way. We spent a year on OZ a while ago and saw lots of vendors with ties to NZ. We had personal experience with Wicked Vans. Stay away from them!!

Spend the extra $$ and go for Maui or Britz.

Just googling the below comes up with a bunch of choices.
new zealand+motor home rentals

For flights inside NZ, go to webjet.com.au and go to the travels section and look flights up. Great site for the southern hemisphere. It was cheaper to fly around OZ than drive the great distances. i know NZ is smaller, but you might look anyway. If you are thinking about Oz, I could answer questions about travelling from a Canuk's point of view! We did a fair bit while there.

happy trails

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
A bit of a long shot - but if anyone has any suggestions they would be welcome.

We (Mrs Cookee and Myself) are going to visit relations in NZ, and whilst we are there want to fly to Wellington from Auckland and hire a camper van/motor-home for the trip back up to Auckland. Does anyone have any suggestions for flight bookings and also a good rental company? Any good places to visit? We're planning on seeing Lake Taupo - it will be a Monday to Friday trip.

We are also planning a trip to Zimbabwe to visit some of my relatives next year - any recommendations on airline for good value and something that won't fall out of the sky? We're hiring a boat whilst we're there on the worlds largest man made lake/reservoir - Link - should be fun!

Thanks guys!
Old 14 October 2010, 13:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
Hi Cookee. When we went to NZ 3 years ago we flew with Singapore Airlines and it was great. Brilliant service, good food and entertainment and really helpful with Tom, who was only 13 months old at the time (I know that bit won't really interest you!).

It also means you stop over/change flights at Changi Airport which is a lovely airport and, if your stopover is for 4 hours or more (ours wasn't :-( ) you get a free bus tour of the city. Also, pack your swim stuff because there's a swimming pool at the airport.

Both Singapore Airlines & Changi Airport seem to be highly rated by others too.

We did a very short visit to Lake Taupo and it was very nice. We also visited the Haka (Huka?) Falls and saw one of the jet boats doing its 'thing'! The part of our visit that we most enjoyed was going up to the north coast (Whakatane to Tauranga) and, if we had had time, we would have gone further along to the Coromandel Peninsula and Bay of Islands.

Hope you have a lovely time there (and neither of you is vegetarian!!!).
Thanks Louise, the London Auckland bit is the only bit sorted out so far - We are flying Air NZ via LA, luckily our Homeland Security Visa thing are still in date. We did a jet boat ride in Queenstown, but rather than the short adrenaline ride version we did the longer Dart River trip which is a great trip with lots of shallow water running and fun. We also did the Bay of Islands on the last trip and hired an ancient flybridge Princess with a single diesel. Still plenty left to explore - looking forward to it!

Neither of us are in the slightest bit veggy so we'll be ok with that!
Old 15 October 2010, 11:42   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I'd fly Cathay via Hong Kong. On the stop-over head out to the Northern Territories and take a boat out of Sai Kung. You'll be amazed, it's every bit as beautiful as the Bay of Islands.
I'd 2nd the Coromandel and you should take in Rotorua when in the Taupo area. Bring back a floating pebble.
Old 15 October 2010, 12:01   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

Thanks guys!

I've only ever done it via Jo Burg on Virgin or BA and then us a SA carrier to take you north, they used to use the little 4 engine jets like the queens flight 4 chances to get down in 1 piece
You also needed 20 US dollars to leave the country some kind of tax and they try to take any local money off you

Jim
Old 15 October 2010, 12:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I'd fly Cathay via Hong Kong. On the stop-over head out to the Northern Territories and take a boat out of Sai Kung. You'll be amazed, it's every bit as beautiful as the Bay of Islands.
I'd 2nd the Coromandel and you should take in Rotorua when in the Taupo area. Bring back a floating pebble.
Mollers - It's obviously the serious drugs they're giving you in hospital - We're going Air NZ via LA! but thanks for the advice - I'll take it next time!

Rotorua is now in the plan and although the Coromandel peninsula is quite a detour we'll see if we can get over that way. I'll keep a good look out for floating pebbles!
Old 15 October 2010, 12:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I've only ever done it via Jo Burg on Virgin or BA and then us a SA carrier to take you north, they used to use the little 4 engine jets like the queens flight 4 chances to get down in 1 piece
You also needed 20 US dollars to leave the country some kind of tax and they try to take any local money off you

Jim
Hi Jim, All of the searches have come up with flights via Kenya or with Air Zimbabwe, some with 11 hour stopovers, so I'll do a search for flights via SA and see if that helps.

There is no local money any more - they are using the US dollar now as the Zimbabwean Dollar totally collapsed!

Thanks!
Old 15 October 2010, 12:32   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Oh yeah. The left handed typing must be effecting my ability to read.
Old 16 October 2010, 08:18   #12

OK booked the flight from Auckland to Wellington with Jetstar - with prices from $69 to $99 with carry on luggage and only a $10 surcharge for 20kg of luggage each it was a bargain. At $100 coming out at just over £47 I think we're onto a winner. Looking at Maui and Britz for campers - I think Maui are coming out top at the moment.