Old 10 July 2005, 18:44   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Speedboat deaths

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4668863.stm

Just seen this - 3 killed and 3 injured - boat ran into rocks at Loch Fyne.

Apparently the accident took place at 1.50AM!!! Does make you wonder what was going on!!!

Seems like a nearby yachtie was the hero of the night - boat was sinking fast with people trapped in the cabin so he towed it to a nearby slip where it was pulled out of the water.

Will be interesting to see what caused this although I do have my thoughts!!!

Tradgedy all the same though - ironic that the bad accidents happen most often in summer weather.
Old 11 July 2005, 15:40   #2

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4668863.stm

Just seen this - 3 killed and 3 injured - boat ran into rocks at Loch Fyne.

Apparently the accident took place at 1.50AM!!! Does make you wonder what was going on!!!

Seems like a nearby yachtie was the hero of the night - boat was sinking fast with people trapped in the cabin so he towed it to a nearby slip where it was pulled out of the water.

Will be interesting to see what caused this although I do have my thoughts!!!

Tradgedy all the same though - ironic that the bad accidents happen most often in summer weather.
Why does it make you wonder what was going on?? Once you have finally got your own Rib you might even stay out late!!

Please DO keep your thoughts to yourself, as I am sure the actual cause will be determined by the MAIB/Police investigations. These guys were pretty experienced with one running a successfull Rib charter business and at the end of the day 3 people have been left without wifes/husbands and children without parents.

Andy
Old 11 July 2005, 19:01   #3

Town: Brisbane
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evirude 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee

Please DO keep your thoughts to yourself

Andy
think you are being a little extreme here. The poster didn't speculate at a cause or lay blame, just voiced a thought that would of been in most peoples mind reading this. As always events like this are tragic, and my thoughts go out those that are injuried and the friends and family of the deceased, but anything that raises awarenesss of the risks of power boating in various environments in sensible manner is more than acceptable post of this forum in my opinion

Matthew
Old 12 July 2005, 02:29   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew MacLean
think you are being a little extreme here. The poster didn't speculate at a cause or lay blame, just voiced a thought that would of been in most peoples mind reading this. As always events like this are tragic, and my thoughts go out those that are injuried and the friends and family of the deceased, but anything that raises awarenesss of the risks of power boating in various environments in sensible manner is more than acceptable post of this forum in my opinion

Matthew
Thanks for that - I wasn't implying anything by the actual time of night - in scotland it isn't properly dark until about midnight at this time of year!!! I would also take advantage of such conditions and intend being out late on my RIB.

I do like to think though that when it IS totally dark I would lower my speed somewhat and be very aware of the chart plotter.

Obviouslly I feel terribly sorry for all concerned but if we don't learn by other's mistakes then we will only have ourselves to blame.