Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 09 October 2007, 15:14   #1

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Shake Hands With the Devil - a must see movie

I saw this movie last night and it is an excellent movie that I would strongly recommend to any mature audience. It is based on the book written by Canadian General Romeo Dallaire. In 1994, the UN had appointed Dallaire to head up a small contingent of virtually unarmed 'peace keepers' from various countries (some pretty useless). His mandate was to mediate a peace treaty between rival Rwandan factions (Hutus & Tutsis).

When the Rwandan president was assassinated and the SHTF, the UN basically turned its back on Dallaire and his UN contingent. The movie gives alot of insight into the machinations within the UN as well as the Clinton administrations' indifference toward the genocide of 800,000 people.

Here is a link to the movie's website;

http://www.shakehandswiththedevilthe...m/english.html
Old 09 October 2007, 19:50   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I had heard it was pretty good.

Yes I know Clintons mob did nothing about it but white countries get no thanks for interfering in Africa these days - look at Sudan and Darfour - even worse.

I have lived in various parts of Africa and love the people BUT they just don't think the same as Westerners. Even now educated Africans still believe in Voodoo and witch doctors etc. A very good friend of mine is from The Gambia - his brother is serving Britain in Iraq - he has sent out some tribal medecine to his brother which will make him bullet proof!!! What makes it worse is the bloke is a medical researcher and a Catholic and yet still has these beliefs.
Old 09 October 2007, 20:37   #3

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I had heard it was pretty good.

Yes I know Clintons mob did nothing about it but white countries get no thanks for interfering in Africa these days - look at Sudan and Darfour - even worse.

I have lived in various parts of Africa and love the people BUT they just don't think the same as Westerners. Even now educated Africans still believe in Voodoo and witch doctors etc. A very good friend of mine is from The Gambia - his brother is serving Britain in Iraq - he has sent out some tribal medecine to his brother which will make him bullet proof!!! What makes it worse is the bloke is a medical researcher and a Catholic and yet still has these beliefs.
catholic beliefs or voodoo
Old 10 October 2007, 02:30   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
LOL, Ian

Codders, I understand what your saying and have heard much the same thing from other people I know who have done mission work in Africa. And yes, tribal massacres are commonplace throughout many regions of Africa. Nonetheless, the level of indifference to that those of us in the Western world tend to show towards such atrocities is wrong - not that I know of a solution either.

Nonetheless, the movie is an eye opener as to the level of corruption that runs within the highest levels of the UN. It wasn't just the indifference, but actual interference imposed upon Dallaire by his superiors within the UN, enabled the slaghter of many thousands of civilians who could have otherwise been protected.