Old 18 July 2010, 21:16   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
PWC purchase advice wanted

PWCs/jet skis: I'm looking at buying one in the not too distant future. I don't really know much about the models etc and would welcome any advice. Want to spend about £3k - looking at adverts on B&O it would seem this will get me something reasonably modern (around 2002 vintage) that looks quite cool.

Any advice gratefully received (no derogatory comments please!)
Old 18 July 2010, 21:50   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Going to the dark side!!!

(Thought about it myself for £2-£3k to some extent, be interested to see what people say)
Old 19 July 2010, 17:46   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Having come from the dark side after several years over there I'd say buy as new as you can, but as with RIBS an older better cared for one may be better.

Avoid anything that has been run up beaches as the sand will grind stuff away nicely.

Have a good look up the jet (with a torch)to make sure the impellor is 100% - new ones can be £300, and that it it close to the wear ring (1-2mm away) otherwise you loose a lot of performance.

Engine mounts can go too due to the ride and constant slamming.

2s v 4s - the usual arguments for both, but 4s are heavier and will give less storage.

Mine 'only' had 80hp but was enough for 35knts flat out and 6ft airborne with 2 on !

Oh and from 02 ish all the Seadoos had little rudders fitted to give some steering when off power so worthwhile & having a reverse bucket makes everything much simpler !

Oh and anything that throws a 30ft water spout up is just antisocial
Old 19 July 2010, 19:29   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
the most reliable jet skis on the market is the Yamaha Waverunner series with any doubt!!, you wont get a four stroke yam for that money (even after 3-400 hours they still command 3950 + but you can get a 50 hour xlt 800, Just!! 125 hp twin cyl carbed 2 stroke, very light, use the proper oil and it should last you.(£50 per gallon)
The XLT 1200 3 cyl YAMS are great but really drink the fuel and arent that much quicker, even tho they are 160 hp and some did have middle cylinder issues.

yam waverunners had the water spout but can be re directed

Waverunners have the best hull in terms of comfort followed by the seadoo.

The other yams are the gp series, twin seat and are really are the sporty version of the XLT800 and xlt 1200, except the gp's dont have reverse which can cause general handling issues.

mechanical probs, stay well clear of the early sea doo 4 tecs as nearly all have supercharger issues with sc couplings disintergrating unless they had the titanium upgrade, but still have sensor and other elec probs.

the last one that would fit the bill and i have seen some bargain 4 strokes is the kawasaki STX range, 1200f and 1500f four stroke 4 cyl engine, super smooth, super reliable and you can get a 75 hour plus stx 1200f for 3 k if you keep looking, , reasond mentioned below is that they are not the ski of choice, A friend had the stx 15f, 160hp quiet, economical, hard work and could not stay in easily.there is currently a 15f on flea bay (pictured below), and i dont know the reserve but he would be lucky to get 4250 for it and it looks fantastic.12k new!!
BUT the kwacker hulls are super flat and slam and tram line ALOT, also the foot well is very deep SO if you get flung out, your foot stays in a tad longer than the rest of you, and bloody hurts!!

pics of my old skiis, first one is the xlt 800 2004 model, last one is a fx160 four stroke 2005 and the third one shows the kawasaki that you could get for 3750k area. this one is the 15f but the 12f is achievable for your sort of money
Hope this all helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744_2.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	52852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749_2.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	52853   Click image for larger version

Name:	!BtNIV5gCWk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEvN3,ifYYBL6+2SkE5g~~_3.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	52857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	52858  
Old 20 July 2010, 21:47   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
HI PETE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
.....I'd say buy as new as you can.....an older better cared for one may be better.
Well done for offering that clarity
Old 20 July 2010, 21:59   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
HI PETE

Well done for offering that clarity
I was almost 100% sure I was nearly certain I was making sense at the time.....