Old 18 June 2005, 21:24   #1

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Numpty !

Coming into Dublin port today on the Irish Ferries Super ferry and noticed a powerboat in the shipping channel. Mmmmm now the high speed ferry is leaving the port and numpty is in the middle of the two ferries waving a yellow bag and holding a flare . I suspect he needs a change of trousers ! I rang Dublin radio and they told me he lost his engine so he dropped anchor IN THE CHANNEL !!! Numpty. The coastguard are now involved as the superferry had to reverse its engine and the high speed had to take evasive action. It was like something that beadles about would show. Oh and to make things worse for him..... no life jackets now law here !
Old 19 June 2005, 02:49   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Surely if Numpties wish to die then they should be allowed not to wear lifejackets???

Always wonder why such laws are brought in - Nanny states again!!! Like motorbikes and crash helmets or the seat belt law - if someone wishes to ignore such things then surely it should be THEIR choice if it doesn't effect anyone else???

Then the laws of natural selection would remove these "numpties" and make the world safer for the rest of us!!!
Old 19 June 2005, 08:18   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Then the laws of natural selection would remove these "numpties" and make the world safer for the rest of us!!!

There may be some truth in that, Cod.
Old 19 June 2005, 09:23   #4

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Surely if Numpties wish to die then they should be allowed not to wear lifejackets???

Always wonder why such laws are brought in - Nanny states again!!! Like motorbikes and crash helmets or the seat belt law - if someone wishes to ignore such things then surely it should be THEIR choice if it doesn't effect anyone else???

While I hate compliance this is one law thats ok.
Old 19 June 2005, 14:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
While I hate compliance this is one law thats ok.
WHY??? Fair enough for kids but for others??? Also most drownings tend to occur in totally unexpected situations -hence the word ACCIDENT. For example walking along a pontoon can be a lot more dangerous than actually being IN a boat!!!

Surely better education is the way to go???

BTW I see that this law only applies to boats of under 23' or 7m - is this right???
Old 19 June 2005, 17:31   #6

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
I have seen people fall in the marina's off the pontoon, i have seen people fall off boats. I think a lifejacket is a must. When i Charter,teach, or just cruise, everybody has their jacket on before we get on the pontoons.

For the types of boats we us, they are a must for all. With regards to education, when i started sailing (when i was about 6), we were told off if we did not wear our aid on the pontoon,,,,
Old 19 June 2005, 20:53   #7

Town: Fareham
I'm guilty of forgetting to put on my life Jacket and forgetting to conect the kill cord, on occasion. The kill cord occasionally is forgotten when I'm out alone and have to crew for myself and am needed else where on the boat. My Jacket usually gets taken off when fishing and forgotton when I get underway again, but now I place the jacket over the steering wheel . No crew is aloud on board without a Lifejacket on though.

Andy
Old 20 June 2005, 10:31   #8

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Some of my more spectacular head first dives have been on and off pontoons!

Most notible wearing a drysuit, unfastened with the arms tied around my waist. One leg on boat the other on dry land.....with both parting at a rapid rate.

Luckily had the presence of mind to kick off the drysuit on my way down and re-surface.

Very wet, very cold (mid feb at the time) and not very happy once I'd realised I'd have to re-enter the water to collect my drysuit.......b*gger!
Old 20 June 2005, 13:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
Some of my more spectacular head first dives have been on and off pontoons!

Most notible wearing a drysuit, unfastened with the arms tied around my waist. One leg on boat the other on dry land.....with both parting at a rapid rate.

Luckily had the presence of mind to kick off the drysuit on my way down and re-surface.

Very wet, very cold (mid feb at the time) and not very happy once I'd realised I'd have to re-enter the water to collect my drysuit.......b*gger!
That is my point - accidents tend to happen when least expected - often just around "water" - the law won't protect people in circumstances like that!!!