Old 13 September 2023, 20:32   #1
Hpd

Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Fishing advice? :)

Hi all,

I have no real idea about fishing whatsoever so some advice would be very much appreciated lol.

I’ve got two 7ft boat rods and I’d like to have them set up to try and catch some bass when on the rib.

I’ve currently got a 2oz weight and a lure which I’ve got no idea about. Having a browse online it looks like there are weighted lures which means I could do away with a weight and make things even simpler!

Any ideas on what to get and what weight lure etc? 😬😬😬
Old 13 September 2023, 21:12   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpd View Post
Hi all,

I have no real idea about fishing whatsoever so some advice would be very much appreciated lol.

I’ve got two 7ft boat rods and I’d like to have them set up to try and catch some bass when on the rib.

I’ve currently got a 2oz weight and a lure which I’ve got no idea about. Having a browse online it looks like there are weighted lures which means I could do away with a weight and make things even simpler!

Any ideas on what to get and what weight lure etc? [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

First thing to remember is there’s a good reason it’s called “Fishing” and not “Catching”. I’d have a go at mackerel first, Bass take a bit more skill & experience. Catching Bass is not so much about how, but where. Mackerel tend to be ubiquitous & will take a milk bottle top with a safety pin, Bass are a bit more picky. I’ve had good success on Bass with Black Minnow lures.
Eating wise, I actually prefer mackerel to Bass, more flavour & meatier imho.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 07:29   #3

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
When out on your boat, keep an eye out for seagulls diving in the water. Get your rod out and hang about there, normally a mass of mackerel and bass chasing the small fry. Agree with PD, I favor mackerel more than bass, especially when fresh. Easy to fillet and less bones. A bit of butter and a squeeze of lemon, lovely.

You eventually get the hang of it and end up shouting out, 'just going fishing dear, back later.'
Old 14 September 2023, 09:17   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Yep, fishing appears to be about outwitting the fish, which is why I've only ever attempted to catch the most stupid - Mackerel.
But as has been said they taste good too.

The gear, an hand line and feathers, even takes up less space and you don't need to worry about bait.

I've eaten many that have been caught in the mouth of the Dart, gutted on the slip, wrapped up in foil, and cooked on the car engine on the way back to the campsite. Or cooked more slowly in the engine bay back at the campsite while I go for a shower.
Old 14 September 2023, 12:50   #5
Hpd

Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Awesome thanks for the pointers! Just went to the local fishing shop and got various lures etc for both mackerel and bass! Looking forward to the next nice boating conditions ��
Old 14 September 2023, 14:56   #6

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
Best thing to do is watch some videos on youtube to see the technique, tackle, rigs etc.

These guys would be a good place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/@obanonthewater7796/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@TheFishLocker/videos
Old 14 September 2023, 15:09   #7

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Not sure if there's any fish left in the solent now, but as a lad we'd tow a pair of these out the back of my parents yacht and frequently catch more than enough mackerel and bass to feed us all for dinner. Can't go too fast though - 4 knots is about the max, more than that and it's too quick for the fish. They were by far the most effective method we ever found of actually catching a good number fish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325552270766

Sometimes we'd fire up the smoker, other times the bbq, on board.

Reminds me of the bonkersness of yachting (despite currently studying my yachtmasters). Langstone Harbour to Yarmouth, one way, would take most of the day!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65012335_2_image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	143639  
Old 14 September 2023, 15:41   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not sure if there's any fish left in the solent now, but as a lad we'd tow a pair of these out the back of my parents yacht and frequently catch more than enough mackerel and bass to feed us all for dinner. Can't go too fast though - 4 knots is about the max, more than that and it's too quick for the fish. They were by far the most effective method we ever found of actually catching a good number fish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325552270766

Sometimes we'd fire up the smoker, other times the bbq, on board.

Reminds me of the bonkersness of yachting (despite currently studying my yachtmasters). Langstone Harbour to Yarmouth, one way, would take most of the day!!

I’ve fancied having a go with a paravane behind the SIB. Just cleaning our smoker as we speak, it got some hammer on our Scottish west coast trip.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9063.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	143640
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 16:46   #9

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
I'd probably say the excess of mackerel we used to catch explains my general dislike of eating fish these days. Love shellfish, but "fish that swim". No thanks.
Old 14 September 2023, 16:51   #10

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpd View Post
Awesome thanks for the pointers! Just went to the local fishing shop and got various lures etc for both mackerel and bass! Looking forward to the next nice boating conditions ��
Often the best idea, a good one will tell you what's working locally bait/lure wise & an idea of where to go.

For anyone fishing in Cornwall 'Lizard Tackle & Bait' on the Lizard is a usual call in for me on the annual jaunt.

Lots on youtube, another vote for 'The Fish Locker'.
Old 14 September 2023, 17:46   #11

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Engine: 200hp
We use converted crab lines, with mackerel feathers or silver foil type, this means we don't need fishing rods and lots of kit on the boat, this year in North Wales there was plenty of mackerel Click image for larger version

Name:	545765784.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	143641
Old 14 September 2023, 23:27   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Best thing to do is watch some videos on youtube to see the technique, tackle, rigs etc.

These guys would be a good place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/@obanonthewater7796/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@TheFishLocker/videos
Yip another fan of these guys on most things fishing and small boating.

But we did try a bit on Sunday…….and not a bite....so don’t be too disappointed if you don’t catch anything.

In fact we were talking to a couple of guys where we were, and they asking if we had caught….I asked and you?….and the guy replied they have fished the same spots for 11 year and never caught bugger all!