Click Here to Login

Old 12 January 2003, 10:22   #41
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Talking about batteries..........
now heres a funny thing.
On a now famous occasion (immortalised in the film/video "RIB Cruising"), I was coming back from the Scillies in my 6.2m Avon in a F5 going on 6.
The constant slamming of the boat eventually drove the bolts, holding the battery box to the deck, up through the bottom of the battery itself, cracking two of the cells. The resultant mess is dificult to describe and was even more difiicult to clean up.
Please check your battery and box and make sure that the battery is mounted on an appropriately thick piece of reinforced rubber matting and/or that the bolts holding the box down are either countersunk or in some way clear of the battery base.
Old 12 January 2003, 19:19   #42

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Now that's what I call proper, constructive, RIB specific advice. Thanks, Brian!
Old 12 January 2003, 19:39   #43

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Flankers a good bloke,and is too proud to respond, with his cap in his hand.I agree with his feelings on the matter.I for one feel he has a lot to contribute and will be an asset of rib.net in the future.As his learning curve re boats is of use to all who are new.

Im saddened and concerned at how some walk away so easy from a fellow person who enjoyed our company and points we made.I dont and will stand up for what I see is right.We all make the decisions in the posts we enter its a forum, and will not be in existance withought different points of view.

Come back Flanker although I know you will not as the damage has been done,unless there is a real hero amongst us and somebody puts the past in the past and if there honest then any of Flankers posts were not that bad.

JK will you be man enough to email him and explain we all want him back with his Madness.
Old 12 January 2003, 19:42   #44

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Crazyhorse

Good point!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2003, 19:43   #45

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Surely he'd have more to offer if he actually bought a RIB or SIB instead?

I can see why his account had been suspended, and to be honest, I support John here. When he is allowed back however, providing he doesn't make the same mistakes again, I've got no problems with him.

Matt
Old 12 January 2003, 19:50   #46

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by narked
Surely he'd have more to offer if he actually bought a RIB or SIB instead?
He must start from somewhere and after he was fleased, conned etc by a so called 'RIB outlet' when he was trying to buy a RIB I don't blame Flanker getting a Glastron.
Also Flanker has a family to consider and a SIB or an open RIB wouldl not be suitable for him.
He just waits for right time to get his cabin RIB and then ....

FLANKER IS WELLCOME ON MY BOAT ANY TIME!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2003, 20:13   #47

May quietly point out that Mr Burns never did explain why he maintained that he'd been "conned", either publicly (OK I did very directly ask him NOT to do this as he was risking slandering a well established business) or privately. As I understand it, no money changed hands, the RIB looked perfectly genuine, and in fact he made a verbal agreement to purchase the boat, then placed conditions on the deal, complaining bitterly when the dealer sold it to someone who wanted to complete the deal straight away. If you were the dealer what would you have done? Sorry to rake up "Old mud" but that's just the way the facts looked to me. Enough said.
Old 12 January 2003, 21:45   #48

Your varied comments re inforce my point that this is a Open forum.I dont agree with what your saying Pepper or Narked but that doesnt mean that I want you banned.It may be that you at a different time, on a different subject make a point that will be relevant to me.Thats my and your decisions.Thats the benefit of a forum.Im sure if Charles meets Flanker as I have, he will feel completley different about him. he said what he believed in, and didnt go with the flow.

Sorry Charles to disagree on this subject but you I am sure will feel different about Flanker if you knew him.

His posts have been very helpful and he has been honest about the problems he has had.

If he said something that you all were offended at then so be it.He is entitled to his view,and it is your responsibility to decide weather it is helpful to you or not,on every post not just Flankers Posts.Having no boat he still let everybody know where good deals were and tried to point out what was out there.

We all have different views on different subjects,thats how we learn.

I would like him back as he is a asset, if you are prepared to mail him JK.

If not then that is up to you,but my feeling will be that this forum isnt as open as I believed it is, if thats the case.?

Thanks JK as also if your honest, you dont know Flanker either.

Good ribbing.

Old 12 January 2003, 21:56   #49

It's an open forum to a large extent yes, but what you must also realise is that it is 100% a dictatorship. No forum should be 100% open, it just doesn't work. There are a few other forums I've used where there is absolutely no moderation, noone sets any rules down, and to be frank, they are bloody awful places. However, compared to a lot of other forums on the internet, boating related and other, this forum is bloody well open. JK has done a great job of keeping the peace but not really in any way restricting the fun.

If someone repeatedly annoys the administrator, then they're doing something wrong. Yes, Flanker does occasionally make useful posts and comments, but he does also keep winding people up, whether he means to or not. You'd think after the first suspension it would have clicked in his mind, but perhaps it hasn't. This would be, what, his third chance now?

Matt
Old 12 January 2003, 22:03   #50

Town: Hamble
Narked

Quote.

"Surely he'd have more to offer if he actually bought a RIB or SIB instead?"

Hey Narked, ever heard of the phrase "live by the sword die by the sword" surely your above quote would have to apply to you as well. Perhaps you should wait till you own a boat before making any more comments like that.
Old 12 January 2003, 22:07   #51

He feels strongly about things ,therefore he acts on them like all of us!.

JK does a great job at times but he Im sure will admit he aint right all the time.Who is exept for me. Matt if you met Flanker you couldnt meet a nicer guy.

All this mumbo jumbo about Flanker is a figment of our vivid imaginations.

Please ask him to come back,and if it makes anybody feel better tell him off as well,then give him a public bollocking,and the some lines if its required.

Come back Flanker we need people like you.

Old 12 January 2003, 22:10   #52

the big guns are here.

Well Narked I put it diplomatickly for ya, but Dirk aint known for his diplomacee.
Old 12 January 2003, 22:26   #53

Dirk, I am in the process of buying a SIB, and I use RIBs when I go out diving. Flanker was in the process of buying a RIB when he first joined the forum. Also, I was being somewhat sarcastic there, I would have thought that maybe the winking smilie would have made that obvious. Obviously not, so in future I will strive make my sarcasm more obvious. I have also said that he does make some good points.

I'm here to learn about getting into SIBs and RIBs, and to offer help to others on any topics I already know about. I am buying my boat from someone on this forum, and I have nothing but respect for almost every user of this forum. I don't think of Flanker as a bad person, even the best people I know occasionally rub people up the wrong way. As I've stated before, Flanker has been suspended because he is making the same mistakes he has been warned about before, it's not like John suddenly kicked him off for no reason.

Matt (bet you were expecting a childish reply there eh?) Brown
Old 12 January 2003, 22:30   #54

Matt be honest which post did you find offensive?Of Flankers
Old 12 January 2003, 22:34   #55

There is one somewhere where he posts what he would have said as "old Flanker" and also what the "new Flanker" would say that I found somewhat offensive. Apart from that, I wouldn't say I find any of his posts offensive, it's nearer to annoying.

If he is allowed back, I'll give him a chance. And he's also welcome on my boat at any of the meetings, as are any of you.

Matt
Old 12 January 2003, 22:36   #56

Matt, I couldn't have put it better myself. Once again, your writing and reasoning skills exceeds mine by far - I reckon you're going to be wasted as a Navy Diver!

Now Mr Diggler, Matt aka Narked is an experienced diver and RIB driver, and I'd be happy in his company at sea. Flanker however, I would be very wary of (on his own admission!). Matt, like me, doesn't own a RIB, but has put the hours in at sea. Flanker needs to get out ther and do it. You can only learn so much be reading and talking!

Now, Crazyhorse, I should add that when Mr Burns wound everyone up and called family RIB owners "irresponsible idiots" (or something like that - can't check as most of the insulting posts have been deleted) he then went on to the Motor Boat Chat forum on ybw.com and suggested that everyone have look here as there was a "hell of a fight" going on. You can check that out as those posts are still there. Now, I reckon that labels him as a bit of a stirrer, don't you? And hardly very respectful of people who he claims are his friends.

Anyway - the public "bollickings" are a good idea (that's why I got in the habit of doing it lately!)
Old 12 January 2003, 22:49   #57

Peper and narked,

I dont believe either of you rely want Flanker banning off this site.

If somebody is starting out, Im sure both of you would want to help them.

If I told you that Flanker has just bought Rib.net and decided to ban you both for being daft and makeing iresponsible posts how would you both feel?.

You have not put up any reasonable argument over him being banned in my opinion.

If you feel you have been dealt with badley then you tell people,thats life.

Unconvinced Crazyhorse
Old 12 January 2003, 22:51   #58

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhorse
Peper and narked, I dont believe either of you rely want Flanker banning off this site.
- did I ever say I wanted him banned?

(And Matt just said "he could understand why" he was banned)...
Old 12 January 2003, 22:56   #59

Crazyhorse, tell me, have I, or have I not, said I have no problem with Flanker being permitted to return to this site?
As Pepper has said, Flanker was first banned for a bloody good reason. He was making comments that were getting everyone annoyed. Basically he was calling a lot of members bad parents because they took their kids out on RIBs. He showed a lack of knowledge about how safe RIBs really are. He was offensive. He was permitted to return, and I had no problems with this. These posts have since been deleted as they had absolutely nothing to offer the RIB community.
His current suspension occured whilst I was away with no computer access. I do not know the exact reasoning behind it, but from previous experiences of John stepping in, I know he only does it when needed, and whether you accept it or not, it's for the good of RIBnet.

As I have now said a number of times, if/when Flanker returns, I'll give him a third chance. I will not treat him unfairly, he can start over. If he truly does get it right this time, then I'll forget that he ever got anyone worked up here.

Matt
Old 12 January 2003, 22:58   #60

Ok peper,

Ya saying you wish he wasnt banned or dont care.Which one? Or want him banned?