RIBnet supporter

Town: Wellingborough
Boat name: The Whim
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 hp outboard
MMSI: 235003347
Self catering on the Scilly Isles

I'm thinking about a week on the Scilly Isles later in 2006. Is it feasible to take my 5.5 Humber RIB over on a trailer? If so, does anyone know of a good self-catering cottage over there with good access to a slip and convenient parking for the trailer? Or would I be better off leaving the car behind and making the crossing in the RIB? Any practical info about where to stay (we also have a dog!) would be really welcome!
Old 18 June 2006, 17:53   #2
RIBnet supporter

I've done a bit more research, and it seems that the best approach will be to get there in the RIB and find somewhere to stay. Any recommendations and advice will be very welcome.
Old 18 June 2006, 19:35   #3

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
Drop this guy a PM

Simon,

Roy cruse is a local in that neck of the woods. (I'm also aiming to do a run to the scilly's later this year and Roy gave me excellent information, not to mention inspiration to get down there and do the trip - I'm watching the forums and trying to fit my diary commitments with a suitable weather window, not to mention wallet capacity later on this year) Roy's been over recently and advised me he'll probably be going again later in the year.

From what i can see, local knowledge is a must for your first trip out, due to the technical pilotage issues @ the scillies. It appears good cover ain't in abundance and unless you know what effects the weather has on what anchorage, you can get caught out. Drop Roy a PM, he's established on the south west ribsters scene - he'll know who's about & doing what and can probably give you heads up when the next trip out is likely to be planned.

Roy's site is also excellent and well worth a visit.

http://www.riblog.co.uk/

Kind regards

Steve
Old 19 June 2006, 06:31   #4
RIBnet supporter

Steve

Thanks for your reply. The more I look into the trip, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll wait for a decent spell of weather later in the year and make it a a day trip, rather than a full week. There seems to be a lot more to consider than I'd thought!

Simon
Old 19 June 2006, 08:16   #5

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Simon - we will be going out for a weekend with a single night camping hopefully at some point over the next few weeks (weather permitting). If we miss the weather window we will have to wait till the end of the season as everything is booked up months in advance over the main summer season.

I am also spending a week over there in a self catering aprtment in hugh town at the start of august.

By far the best thing to do is take your own boat and find a swinging moring in hugh town harbour on st marys or if you can get it in the deep water chanel between tresco and bryher (although you will need a way to get to and from the shore as there is no water taxi on the second option) - You will save a fortune if there are a few of you as the ferry is very expensive unless you get very lucky and they are running a promo in the local paper that week.

I may also make several "day trips" over there this summer with an early start from penzance and a late evening / night trip back - you will still have a chance to see a lot of the islands and have a nice pub lunch and even a beach bbq.

I will be starting a new thread probably entitled "Return to the Scillies" in a bit so look out for that and join in whenever you want.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 08:57   #6

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Sorry forgot to post this

Accommodation : http://www.tiscover.co.uk/gb/guide/1..._areaid=170847 & http://www.scillyonline.co.uk/accomm.php
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote