Old 26 July 2011, 20:05   #41

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Hi All, weekend is nearly here and it looks like we going to get some decent weather for a change. I am planning to go out to my boat in Holyhead on friday and leave some jerry cans of fuel on board. I went round Anglesey a couple of weeks ago and used approx 75 litres of fuel, with a 130hp four stroke honda, and I was solo. This time I will have two, possibly three crew so just want to be on the safe side. If anyone would like to store anything on the boat to save weight on their boats if you PM me I can possibly meet up prior to friday and take this down for you if required, just a thought to make things easier, looking forward to meeting everyone now, speak soon Mike
Old 28 July 2011, 13:41   #42

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
Hi All, weekend is nearly here and it looks like we going to get some decent weather for a change. I am planning to go out to my boat in Holyhead on friday and leave some jerry cans of fuel on board. I went round Anglesey a couple of weeks ago and used approx 75 litres of fuel, with a 130hp four stroke honda, and I was solo. This time I will have two, possibly three crew so just want to be on the safe side. If anyone would like to store anything on the boat to save weight on their boats if you PM me I can possibly meet up prior to friday and take this down for you if required, just a thought to make things easier, looking forward to meeting everyone now, speak soon Mike
Thanks for kind offer Mike, I think that we are all sorted now.

See you sat morning.
Old 28 July 2011, 17:48   #43

RIBase
Well it looks doubtful if my rib will be ready for tomorrow, rib is all built up, but the people making the stainless steel brackets for the A frame and backrests are dragging there feet and they can't promise if they will be ready for tomorrow.
No point taking the rib until it's fully finished, but no probs, as I will be riding shotgun with the Pikey's if it's not finished
Old 30 July 2011, 09:57   #44

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The day begins!!

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-835536472.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	61210  
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 19:32   #45

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
I spy Gazelle! Great day for it. Hope you get some.

Tea and coffee?! Where's Mrs Robinson?
Old 30 July 2011, 20:38   #46

RIBase
And the day ends)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1010969506.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	61219  
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 30 July 2011, 21:55   #47

Brews swapped for beer!

Pics of boats please! Not campers.
Old 30 July 2011, 22:01   #48
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Ahhhh! Nice one lads...

I do envy you.

Old 31 July 2011, 07:41   #49

RIBase
Day 2 in the RIBnet big brother hoose, John is in the kitchen, whilst kerny is in the diary room, communing with nature

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-681476497.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	61220  
Old 31 July 2011, 08:55   #50

Believe you guys met the old man in the banana/yellow bouy!
Old 31 July 2011, 21:53   #51

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Believe you guys met the old man in the banana/yellow bouy!
We did we thought it was you, They had been out fishing to catch something for tea but blanked so I guess it was morrisons. They should have had Pikelet with them, talk about lucky, next time I see her I'm going to cut her foot off and put it on a keyring.
Old 01 August 2011, 10:02   #52

Other than 30 years in age, we do get mistaken for each other especially at a distance. Though if it had been me, you'd have noticed all the gulls behind the boat due to the fish on board!
Old 01 August 2011, 10:22   #53

RIBase
Trip report, long & possibly boring to some!

Well!! Great weekend had by all. We got down to Caernavon on Friday afternoon & dropped the boat off at Chris's who kindly offered us storage (top bloke that Chris) We met up with Steve (Kerny) & trooped off to the "Black Boy" pub for a couple of pints of "Snowdonia" & a good meal. The rest of the team arrived later & we all rondezvoosed (sic) at the cottage that Chris had arranged for us. After a lengthy committee meeting involving much refreshment & points of order, we retired to gird our loins for the trials that lay ahead
Saturday morning brought flat calm sea, no wind & hazy sun. By 9.30 we had the boats loaded with, beer, cool boxes, beer,tents, beer, bbqs, & we were off down the straight. We decided to take the anti-clockwise route due to the forecast being better for the Saturday & blowing up on the Sunday. The wind direction was a bit vague for the Sunday, with some forecasts giving SW & others SE. So with south in the wind, we were going to cop for it which ever way we went around the island. Going anti-clockwise gave us a shorter run down from Holyhead into the wind on Sunday.
We stopped at the Gazelle for refreshment as we were passing & bumped into Humber P4WLs Ma & Pa who had blanked on the fishing.
A quick run around Puffin Island (no seals) & we headed up the coast & called in at "Porth Wen" an old derelict brick works with loads of atmosphere & quite eerie.
After Porth Wen it was up to Middle Mouse & a play in the overfalls. The currents here are spectacular & show just how powerful the sea can be. Imagine being in a 1 tonne boat in a tumble drier!
We eventually arrived at Holyhead at around 5pm, a call to the marina office on Ch37 (M1) & we were assigned a berth for the night. There is a minimum £18 charge for up to 7m length, for this you get piece of mind, a safe berth, 24 hour security, hot showers & soft loo paper worth every penny.
We offloaded the camping gear onto the breakwater, and yes I did ding one of my propsnothing too serious. Can anyone recommend a good prop shop oop north?
As we were setting up camp, the wind started to pick up & it blew steadily all night. Evening meal consisted of the days catch washed down with moderate amounts of beer & wine. We had Mackerel, Gurnard, Pollock & codling. Fried, barbecued & smoked.
We slept OK ish helped by the beer & wine, the wind was assisted by the combined snoring & fa***ng of 5 blokes (I'm told by Pikelet that laydees don't)
Sunday morning brought a steady SW wind & ominous skies, a full fry up prepared us for the trip ahead (no good chucking up on an empty stomach) we loaded up the boats (after taking advantage of the soft loo roll, some more than once, eh Steve)
We suited & booted & made a good job of lashing everything down. We headed off towards South Stack keeping well to the North to give the overfalls a wide berth, even then it was "interesting" with a F5 over spring tides. It took us 2 hours to cover the 20 miles or so from Holyhead to the entrance to the straight, the previous day we would have covered the same distance in 45min. But at least nobody died(although a couple of lads thought they might do)
The last hurdle on the trip was the sand bar at Caernavon, we were met by the tide in full ebb with the wind over it. A wall of standing waves, breakers & eddies lay in wait We picked our way through surprisingly easily, I think that after the previous 2 hours battering we were getting used to it by now. We tried an hours fishing inside the straight but blanked, so nothing to bring home, apart from memories of a great weekend, thanks lads
Old 01 August 2011, 15:56   #54

BBC News - Waterspout filmed by RAF crew off Anglesey At least you didnt find one of these on your trip past south stack

Glad you gave the stacks a wide berth, we went straight through the confused sea when we went round. You get rising mountains in front of you, then holes just opening up as rebounding waves from the cliffs meet, then pull apart. It is surprisingly scary.

Sounds like you had a good trip. Thanks for the posting, makes me very jealous sat here revising.

By luck not planning, we missed the overfalls past the skerries and middle mouse, thank god. But the Caernarfon bar can really look scary, then you squeeze round behind it by Llandwyn island, with the bar waves to your right and then waves cresting shore inside you. I'v never felt so unnerved.
Old 02 August 2011, 09:33   #55
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
[QUOTE=Pikey Dave;413240] and yes I did ding one of my propsnothing too serious. Can anyone recommend a good prop shop oop north?
QUOTE]

Castle Marine. You must have passed em last weekend
Propeller Repair
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote