Old 21 June 2023, 08:53   #1

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Recomendations for Swansea

Going into Swansea Marina for a few days in July. Any recomendations of places around the coast to visit / avoid.

Crew is mostly teenage so a radius of 1 hour/20M would be about right. Looking for ice cream, beach picnic, toilet etc. Would be nice to do a treasure hunt in the area, so obscure local information is welcome.

Thanks,
Tim.
Old 21 June 2023, 21:55   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Tim, don't know anything about Swansea, but West is best IMO.
Mumbles looked ok, I only past by as there didn't appear to be many places to stop off apart from Knab Rock which was far too busy for us.
Langland Bay was a good stop off as was Casswell Bay where there is a small cafe (toilet/ice-cream) which did a very good coffee. Three Cliffs Bay is definitely worth a stop off just to appreciate the geology. Next is Oxwich Bay, at the West end of the beach are toilets, ice-cream, coffee and a Michelin Star restaurant (Beach House) if you want to treat your "crew". Next is Port Eynon which looks lovely, however IMO unless you know the channel to the beach very well, it is probably best avoided. We saw it at low tide and the rocky outcrop stretches out from the headland in all directions. Around the headland is Worms Head (wyrm - Old English for serpent) which is a must to to go to, I'd only circum navigate it at high tide. Next bay/beach is Rhossili, beautiful but it's a surf beach so unless it's very calm, I wouldn't stop off.
The whole coastline is beautiful, rocky coves, caves, beaches, cliffs, great to explore close up.
One problem you will have is the height of the tides and having nowhere to moor up. If you want to picnic and spend time on any of the beaches, you will need to anchor up and keep a close eye on your rib, ready to move it quickly. I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said the tide at Oxwich Bay goes out 600 - 700 metres.

Did this post/video when we visited which may be of interest -

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rednec...wer-86601.html
Old 22 June 2023, 19:55   #3

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Mumbles looked ok, I only past by as there didn't appear to be many places to stop off apart from Knab Rock which was far too busy for us.
Langland Bay was a good stop off as was Casswell Bay where there is a small cafe (toilet/ice-cream) which did a very good coffee. Three Cliffs Bay is definitely worth a stop off just to appreciate the geology. Next is Oxwich Bay, at the West end of the beach are toilets, ice-cream, coffee and a Michelin Star restaurant (Beach House) if you want to treat your "crew". Next is Port Eynon which looks lovely, however IMO unless you know the channel to the beach very well, it is probably best avoided. We saw it at low tide and the rocky outcrop stretches out from the headland in all directions. Around the headland is Worms Head (wyrm - Old English for serpent) which is a must to to go to, I'd only circum navigate it at high tide. Next bay/beach is Rhossili, beautiful but it's a surf beach so unless it's very calm, I wouldn't stop off.
The whole coastline is beautiful, rocky coves, caves, beaches, cliffs, great to explore close up.
One problem you will have is the height of the tides and having nowhere to moor up. If you want to picnic and spend time on any of the beaches, you will need to anchor up and keep a close eye on your rib, ready to move it quickly. I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said the tide at Oxwich Bay goes out 600 - 700 metres.

Echo most of this, totally beautiful stretch of coast that I’m always drawn to. Only ever got to play there in Arancias rather than big RHIBS but it’s good fun rock hopping in the coves. The local lifeguards are not too keen on boats approaching busy beach’s (even if done slowly and in the quieter places)

Port Eynon was a nice tea stop but the tide does come in fast and we did have a bit of a swim out to the boat after we finished our tea, was easy enough to get in and out using a combo of Google Earth sat images & Navionics combined with a sharp look out in the bow.
Old 26 June 2023, 07:33   #4

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Thankyou for your suggestions. Shall report back how we get on.
Old 27 June 2023, 17:25   #5

Town: Llanelly Hill, Abergavenn
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Tohatsu 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post

When you talk about visiting these Gower beaches, do you land or anchor and swim in? Im local with a SIB and would like to explore.
Old 27 June 2023, 18:27   #6

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Martin and welcome, I hauled it up on the beach on transom wheels. The only beach I didn't venture onto was Port Eynon.
Even if you beach your sib, you still need to keep an eye on the falling/rising tide and move your sib up or down the beach accordingly.
What sib/OB do you have?