BTW A.J. and Sarah, you MUST enter the harbour by going to the EAST of that island and then in a WESTERLY/ NWESTERLY direction.
If you attempt to go in to the WEST of that island you run a severe risk of grounding on the amphibian's "road".
Also please, please bear in mind the "lobster pots" that act as a minefield for the unwary just to the south of that breakwater.
Cheers Brian, I was only jesting! I had checked it on garmin homeport and it is very shallow.
But as this would be the first trip of the season for me (because RIB'ing is a Winter thing as I'm sailing in the Summer), and I've just finished overhauling the outdrive leg, think I'd be better off giving it some more localised testing before heading across the Channel!
If I get any time to properly test it before then though, will try to join up as a latecomer.
Can you add me to the list of hopeful participants as well?
I will probably have spare seats available as I doubt the family will be free.
Oh yes - Regarding petrol in the marina - last time we used it it would only allow you to have €69 of petrol per use on a card, and would only let you use the same card twice, so if you need want more than about 80 litres of fuel make sure you take two credit cards!
Originally Posted by landlord
Petrol is available 24/7 in the harbour, its self service and takes Visa.
So far those who have expressed an interest in cruising over
If only half manage to come along will be a good end of season cruise, just need good weather and to book B&B
Looks like St Vaast is very popular the weekend of the 12th/13th October. Still have a few more enquiries to make and will update later about accommodation options.
If you need some help with organization legwork etc let me know, happy to help.
As this will be a learning experience for me I'm also interested in following along with people's passage planning (route, fuel, equipment, alternatives, etc) to see how it is done for these longer trips.
Have had to rethink this as there appears to be no accommodation in St Vaast for the 12th October. It was also going to be difficult to reserve something with 6 weeks to go taking a chance with the weather.
Have decided to change destination to Cherbourg.Will ask for the title of the thread to be changed.
Only 60 miles from the Needles to Cherbourg with a large marine with 24h access. The Hotel Chantereyne has plenty of rooms right on the marina with free cancelation and book now pay laters. Rooms from £55 to £60 per room. For those who share a twin room it works out cheaper.