Old 06 August 2004, 09:24   #201

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
thats a good point, I didn't really think about that. I would imagine Cowes may be too hectic to get place on pontoons for 14 ribs, but I could be wrong. If you can get ashore it would be a great place to have a beer in the beer tent.

No go for pub in yarmouth then?

Tim
Old 06 August 2004, 10:13   #202

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
HW is 1810 hrs, therefore you might be able to squeeze into Bembridge middle afternoon, if thats suits everyone. Means the majority of the voyage would be done, just leaving the hop across to HMS D to do.

Always have lunch on the beach at Bembridge without going into the harbour as its a flooding tide.

Pete
Old 06 August 2004, 10:19   #203

thats seems like a more logical idea for you lot. Do you think you may still stop in a bay somewhere around the needles (NW coast) for a break/swim/snorkle?

Out of interest, how many islanders are going on this if any?

Pete, would you still like some digital photos of scratchells bay?

cheers

Tim
Old 06 August 2004, 10:37   #204

Tim hi, yes but really at low water to show the rocks so you may not be able to do it for this weekend,

Pete
Old 06 August 2004, 10:39   #205

I can take a picture and mark on it where I know or think there will be rocks/fishing nets/wrecks/mines etc etc
Old 06 August 2004, 10:58   #206

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
HW is 1810 hrs, therefore you might be able to squeeze into Bembridge middle afternoon, if thats suits everyone. Means the majority of the voyage would be done, just leaving the hop across to HMS D to do.

Always have lunch on the beach at Bembridge without going into the harbour as its a flooding tide.

Pete

Would be up for Bembridge - this would be the first available stop in "Sheltered" waters.
Never been there before would be interested to visit as well.

Duncan
Old 06 August 2004, 11:58   #207

Town: isle of wight
Boat name: windchill 2
Make: ring 685
Length: 7m +
Can arange for tuck /BBQ to be taken to bembridge if this is any help,or any thing else!
Old 06 August 2004, 12:05   #208

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
I'd agree with Duncan - let's get on with it! My interest in this event is primarily the boating and meeting Ribnetters - I have little interest in sitting in pubs all day.
never stopped you drinking a ice cool beer from my cool box in the passed

no i agree best to get on with the job at hand and stop for a chat and food before
crossing back to the main land

dan
Old 06 August 2004, 12:14   #209

Town: New Forest Hampshire
Boat name: Moonshine
Make: Jeanneau Sun 2000
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 6hp
I've got a photy of Bembrige

Taken from the Bembridge sailing club looking towards the harbour entrance - couple of RIBs beached just inside the entrance.

There are a couple of sailing clubs (Bars - Food) - we used the one at the far end of the harbour called brading haven. They were very friendly and didn't mind us using their pontoon - but I suppose if 14 ribs turn up unanounced they may think your taking the p*ss.

Usually you are supposed to sign youself in from another club but it may be worth contacting them and sounding them out - They me glad of some increased bar turnover .

We will probably be out on the water Sunday so we'll keep an eye out for you and have the camera ready - good luck - hope all goes well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bemb.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	7336  
Old 06 August 2004, 12:28   #210

is that bembridge?! I always thought it was a bit of a muddy hole! I must have only been there at low tide in the winter...shows how much I know. I don't often venture over to that side of the isle

Looks like a very nice place to go ashore and have a late lunch. I'm tempted to trek across the island and meet you all there!

I may still pop out of Yarmouth and intercept you somewhere around there for a quick chat. I'll be in a very small flatacraft force 3GT with a 25hp yam ont back. Its got blue and white tubes and is "well used" .

Tim
Old 06 August 2004, 12:38   #211

Oh - and there is a pub just a little walk away from the beach on the road up towards Bembridge - Haven't tried it though.

This is our baby on the pontoon at brading haven (Now without A-Frame for a little while so that she'll go throught the garage door) - keep an eye out for us I've got the next 2 weeks of and we plan to be out and about quite a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hotflush.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	7337  
Old 06 August 2004, 13:36   #212

Town: Oakley
Boat name: BISMARK :wink:
Length: no boat
Nice boat Phillip.
Old 06 August 2004, 15:18   #213

Thank you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdolidol
Nice boat Phillip.
....Very kind of you to say so
Old 06 August 2004, 23:53   #214

Pete,

I have attempted to upload some pics of scratchells and alum bay. It didn't seem to work the first time but fingers crossed it did this time. I have put a few notes on a couple of the pics. Sorry its a bit late, have just got back from Cowes marina!

Was perfect rib weather out there today!

Hope its a help.

Cheers

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0026.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	7350   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	7351   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0003.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	7352  
Old 07 August 2004, 09:53   #215

A few more things I forgot about last night.

I couldn't see the fishing net when i was up there, but i have marked the position of where i saw it before (at easter). Where I was standing on the cliff top is actually over the water as there is a huge overhang. Pretty spectacular i think and it means that the beach extends round underneath me and so out of the shot.

The beach to the south of the building on the beach at alum bay (this building is the bottom of the chairlift) seemed to be closed off to people walking on the beach. There was nothing to stop RIBsters using the beach though and as long as you stay away from the cliff I don't think there would be any problems. As you can see from the pic (right hand one is alum bay), the water is clear and so is very nice for swimming etc. It is deep close in to the beach as well.

Lets hope you have as nice conditions as it was then or is now! I'm off out in my RIB now, possibly up to cowes.

I'll check the forum again tonight for any news.

Cheers

Tim
Old 07 August 2004, 10:03   #216

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon
Length: 5.5
Engine: Mercury 75
Send a message via MSN to Andy Beach
Will not see you tomorrow ....

I've had another offer for tomorrow which, considering the rather dismal weather forecast for the IoW (and the reluctant crew!), I've accepted so I will not be meeting up with you all as hoped - I'm sure I will regret it come Monday when you all post your reports!

Have a great time. Bon Voyage.

Andy Beach
Old 07 August 2004, 13:19   #217

Town: southampton
iow

Hi all, sorry not had much to say on this thread, but still as keen as ever to join in, I will be launching at calshot early morning, any one else launching there ?? As i have no radio I will have my mobile with me 07802448447 any launching at clashot feel free to call with times etc. Anyone no the latest weather forcast as I understand it is calm today.
Old 07 August 2004, 14:55   #218

MMSI: Nope
Slightest change of plan for me.....will be coming from chichester ish, rather than traipse all the way round to Gosport by car I may as well do it by Rib!!

Hightower....I will stick my nose into Portsmuff harbour about 0900-0930 ish to see if you are still around. If not I will meet up with you and the rest of the Flotilla at Lee- on - Solent or at Calshot.

Robin
Old 07 August 2004, 16:47   #219

first the bad news. A32 from Fareham to Gosport has road works on it. Not major but might hold you up a bit as every tom, dick and harry seemed to be going to the seaside this morning. Also B3334 south from Titchfield is closed. B3385 is the one to use then.

Good news is if the weather stays they you will need lots of sun cream. Lee on Solent this morning at 10 am was flat as a witches...... and even when the afternoon breeze came in only a slight southerly chop.

Tim thanks for the photos

Pete
Old 07 August 2004, 18:38   #220

Pete, no problemo about the photos. I've been out in me rib all day and ventured round to scratchells. Its really nice in there although the swell made it impossible to land. You can easily get close enough to drop someone off though (even though it is very deep close in) but I think it may be near impossible to lay an anchor because the bed in just hard chalk and weed (i tried and dragged)!

There is no fishing net and if you go into the corner there are no rocks by the beach, just shingle. It would definately be worth a trip into the bay because its quite something sitting under the cliff.

Also, When navigating around the needles, it may be worth nipping through the gap in the stacks (unless of course you want to go round the lighthouse, but this may be a bit rough, but probably worth it). If you go through the gap stay to the right and go slow. Watch for rocks on the left and a huge very shallow rock on the right. Not sure what state of tide you need to get through though, just approach with caution I guess. Not sure whether you would be going round the whole island if you took that shortcut!

Despite the fact it was a very nice calmish day today, there was still quite a bit of chop around the headlands on the way down to the needles...quite tough going today, especially with 3 in my boat!

I warned the habour today that ribs might be coming in for fuel although I made it clear that you might well not. All they said was don't come in all at once because there is no where to moor 13 ribs waiting for fuel!

Hope thats a help. Good luck tomorrow and I might well see you out off yarmouth somewhere. Look out for me (but if i'm not there don't wait!)!

Cheers

Tim