Old 10 August 2013, 22:07   #81

Length: 3m +
In that case I guess you saw Whisper being lifted when you saw them lifting someone up...?

Unless they carried on playing after they did Whisper? From what I saw on AIS they were still "at it" till about 15:50 local time, then turned and went home...
Old 10 August 2013, 22:10   #82

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F70
After they left us we went to a sheltered area just outside Newtown creek, we chatted there for 15 mins before parting ways. On the way back to Cowes I did see the helicopter heading the same way as me, not sure what time that was though.
Old 10 August 2013, 22:14   #83
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Wow AJ, sounds like you were where the real action was today -- good job you were there to help, and worrying that our practice could have been distracting from a real need elsewhere.

First off, a big thank you to Mr & Mrs Landlord, for organizing today and providing a ride for me! Both Mr&Mrs are top people (with a very nice boat).

As you can see from the video, Gallahad rafted up with Madness. Ralphy and Gooner-Paul were standing off nearby. The heli radioed ahead right on time at 3pm, so we were expecting them and were in the agreed position.

We lowered the boat VHF aerial, and cleared the deck of any loose objects that may be blown overboard or into somebody.

As the CG approached they first asked that Madness relocated from the leeward to the windward side of the rafting. They also requested that Ralphy and Gooner-Paul move round to observe from the windward side. Throughout the whole practice the heli stayed downwind of the boats. You can see the downdraft and spray on the video is safely away from all the boats.

Landlord allocated the roles for the transfer. He was skippering Galahad and responsible for comms and overall boat safety. I ended up as the high line rope handler, and Mrs Landlord was chief photographer at the bow of Galahad. Whisper was the ballast standing ready to be lifted .

The heli instructed us via radio that they were about to drop the highline, that we should not attach it to the boat, and that we should keep the line "under positive control" as the winchman is lowered. We were told to use it to pull the winchman into the boat.

Even when the heli was not very close comms was difficult. Landlord had his ear pressed against the VHF speaker! I had an earpiece on my handheld.

The highline came out with two fluorescent weighted bags attached, they were accurately lowered to about five feet off the water, and the heli manoeuvred them into my outstretched arm with pinpoint precision. As soon as I had hold, the winch operator began to pay out the line quickly and we took about 20 foot of line onto the boat, they keept feeding out line as the heli moved slightly away.

Next, the winchman came out on his wire, holding the highline, and I had to steady him as he was lowered, first to earth any static in the sea, then pull him into the boat. Once aboard he unhooked and the heli retreated once more as I payed out our line. The winchman advised on how tight to keep the line, and said to focus on the winch operator for further instruction.

The cable came out again to get Whisper, and he was taken up and down, then the cable taken away. Finally it came again to retrieve the winchman. We sent him back with some goodies to say "thank you".

His final instructions were to not throw the weighted bags into the sea(!) but to let the heli lift them away out of my hand.

General observations:
- noise was high, so we had to shout to each other and use hand signals to be understood on the boat.
- spray was less than imagined, I think this was being managed by the CG team.
- I was happy to be wearing a Gecko as the weighted bag was swinging about. It never hit me, but if I had missed it coming towards me then having some head and face protection would have been good.
- pulling the highline was hard work, and I had to do it multiple times. It took some strength to pull each person aboard.
- at times, the rate at which I had to let out line was too fast to go hand over hand, so had to let it slip through my hands. Having gloves would have been a good idea.

I had to focus on the job in hand quite intently. The whole exercise took ~30mins during which time we drifted ~2.25NM. Having Landlord keeping an eye out for overall boat safety was a good thing.

The heli crew are consummate professionals. Their flying skills were incredible, the instructions clear and direct, and it was all done quickly but unrushed.

A great practice, and reassuring to know these guys are there if we ever need them.

(apologies for the long post!)
Old 10 August 2013, 23:08   #84

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Great write up and thank you for my birthday cake! It made it back safely through the horrible Solent chop!

Video and my version of events to follow tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4116598580.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	83957  
Old 11 August 2013, 08:54   #85

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Sound like a great exercise with lesson for us all - thanks for the clear write up

Whisper,
how did you get back to Madness.....I trust they didn't just push you back out!!
Old 11 August 2013, 08:57   #86

Here's the video dude!

A massive thanks to Landlord for arranging this! And to GTB for doing a great job on the rope

Old 11 August 2013, 09:23   #87
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Here's the video dude!
Wow, what a great video. I'm really impressed that you had time to think about filming as well as everything else! A birthday to remember.
Old 11 August 2013, 09:32   #88

Just held the gopro in the general direction

I have to say that the strap isn't very comfortable and I have never been so pleased to see an Osprey splash well!

An absolutely amazing experience and one I'll never forget

Best birthday ever
Old 11 August 2013, 10:26   #89

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
Photos of the practice
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	83989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	83990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	83991  
Old 11 August 2013, 10:29   #90

Winchman lowered and Whisper taken away !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	83992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	83993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	83994  
Old 11 August 2013, 10:34   #91

Unfortunately they then bought him back
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	83995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	83996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	83997  
Old 11 August 2013, 11:11   #92
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
Great videos and pictures what an amazing birthday pressie you lucky chap
Old 11 August 2013, 11:22   #93

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Who was the pilot, anyone know?? Was it John Bell? a good friend of ours if so, awsome exercise love doing them... some great Video and stilla there, glan you had a great day !
Old 11 August 2013, 12:12   #94

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Apologies for missing this event, I wanted to come out but got tied up in something and didn't get back till this morning, looked like a good exercise.
As always I'm looking at new ideas and your video threw up a few older ones, I am thinking of bimini tops again, I would think it was difficult for a helicopter lift on a moving rib with an a frame.
What a nice day to do something like that, I will guarantee it won't be that nice if you get to do it for real
Old 11 August 2013, 12:18   #95

Sorry I don't know who the pilot was, but I do know that I am quite sore today!

Although the winch sling is very quick it doesn't offer much support and believe me I was so glad to get back in the boat. I actually landed in the splash well on Landlords Osprey and the line was quickly paid out by the winch man and I was disconnected quickly too.

Today my ribs are quite tender, nothing major and I'm definitely not complaining but something to think about if you ever get a chance to do this in a training exercise.

One way would have been fine but both ways without a break was tough going.

When the helicopter gets close forget radio comms as you won't hear a thing, it's all hand signals and shouting at close range.

Surprisingly, there wasn't that much downdraft from the helicopter even when at the sliding door.

Surprisingly I wasn't nervous at all, everything was cool and calm and I reckon that I was running on max adrenalin, I could have swam back to Calshot afterwards
Old 11 August 2013, 12:27   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Apologies for missing this event, I wanted to come out but got tied up in something and didn't get back till this morning, looked like a good exercise.
As always I'm looking at new ideas and your video threw up a few older ones, I am thinking of bimini tops again, I would think it was difficult for a helicopter lift on a moving rib with an a frame.
What a nice day to do something like that, I will guarantee it won't be that nice if you get to do it for real
They seemed to assess the situation and then arrange us where they wanted us, it this case they wanted my boat the other side. We were floating with the current the whole time so it was all down to the pilot, winch man and the rope man, in this case GTB, awesome work
Old 11 August 2013, 12:36   #97

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
One way would have been fine but both ways without a break was tough going.
Returning by free fall..That would have made an even more entertaining video

Glad all all enjoyed yourselves

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 09:07   #98

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Bloody awesome day, Whisper is drunk in pub in Salisbury, Missed the lift by minutes .. Some luurvly swells out there.. yeeeeha

Anyway. whilst Whisper was having a jolly with his chopper.. 15 mins after his lift there was a Situation which i will explain.
we headed back out to the needles to play in the big rollers.. i came across a couple of ribs, also 3-4 people in the water with life jackets auto inflated.. i wrongly assumed there were calmy waiting for the Heli lift,
The Big rib, Cobra 8m with 300 Yam (new) was sat 100 ft away from them doing nothing as was the other rib,, a bystander as it turns out.. so i sat away from it all expecting the heli to lift them, AJ went up to the Cobra,, turns out they were all flicked out of the cobra wearing shorts and T shirt and Stinking of Booze
Aj had to pull two Rather large Persons on board. Still their mates were 50 ft away meandering around not really interested in now 3 of their mates drifting away, . One looked really cold the other had blood coming from his head somewhere..

Un Bloody Believable
did the rnli turn up, did you report that bunch of muppet heads ?
Old 14 August 2013, 09:20   #99
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

did the rnli turn up, did you report that bunch of muppet heads ?
Yes told rnli no didn't turn up and once they found out they were heading towards Bournemouth at speed through the trap by Hurst they were no longer interested
Old 14 August 2013, 11:29   #100

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Awesome.. So sorry we missed it, We had a load of catapults and as you were ascending we were going to bombard you with stale hot dogs for extra entertainment!!