Originally Posted by dpround
Given that the list price for the Rigiflex is £5k and I need an engine and trailer, I expect it will be over £10k. (If anyone reading this wants to do me a quote for a package, that would be great!) Are there any significant alternatives that I should be considering?
There are a few alternatives you should be considering (not necessarily any better [I haven't tested them all and its subjective anyway], and may or may not be cheaper, but worth looking at)
- Funyak 390 (Tiller, Bench console or jockey console versions available). Goes fine with a 20HP but a 25 or 30 HP might be better if you are looking at fully loading it. A complete package with all your accessories (anchor, ropes, flares, VHF etc) should be possible within 10k. Morton boats is the English reseller; Atlantic Focus in Inverness is the Scottish one.
- Funyak 460 - if you want bigger. Not "RIB styled" but seem to be quite popular as a safety boat.
- Mac Boats (UK distributors are Marine Revolution in Dundee). Really nice plastic boats, but more expensive than the Funyaks. Their attack 360 would be a good small rescue boat.
- Steadyboat - Sweedish manufacturer of rib like boats: seen them and look OK.
- Local rescue group use one of these for flood rescue type work: The Zegul zegul.se - zegul Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
which disassembles for easy transport (fits on roofrack)
- Pioner in Norway - particular the Pioner multi. Pretty classic plastic rescue boat - good for casualty recovery with fold down front. Will be pricey though.
There was someone started doing something similar based in Wales IIRC, but I have forgotten the name. They had a review in Boat Mart a couple of years ago. I never saw any more so they may have died.