Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 July 2018, 03:42   #1
TJR
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
3m SIB / RIB

New member looking to buy my first SIB / RIB

Iím after a small 2-3m inflatable that can be packed into the car for travel.

Ideal use is for crusing around the bays

Something suitable for 2 small adults that will get onto plane

Budget around £800

Whatís about?
__________________

__________________
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:08   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,217
Welcome to the forum TJR. Does the £800 budget include motor... if so might be a struggle to get something that will plane for that. Have you seen anything on Ebay or Gumtree etc that catches your eye?
__________________

__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:44   #3
TJR
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Welcome to the forum TJR. Does the £800 budget include motor... if so might be a struggle to get something that will plane for that. Have you seen anything on Ebay or Gumtree etc that catches your eye?
Thanks mate

Well it was for a engine and boat. But if Iíve gotta sacrifice I guess Iíll have to aim small to start. As budget is around that as Iím buying a house too 😂.

Iíve seen a few things on Ebay etc and Iíll be honest nobody seems like they want to sell, even when Iíve offered the full asking price.

Turned to this page to see whatís for sale
__________________
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 08:38   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,217
Thing is...

You will have minimal acceptable planning performance with an 8hp and a light load... 10hp much better. With a 6HP you may plane if all factors are in you favour but you might need a long run up. 4HP and below effectively displacement only unless on a light craft with a very efficient hull and one light person.

So ideally an 8HP on an 3m SIB?? Have a look at that search criteria on Ebay etc and perhaps link to some ideas for us to give guidance.
__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 11:39   #5
TJR
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Thing is...

You will have minimal acceptable planning performance with an 8hp and a light load... 10hp much better. With a 6HP you may plane if all factors are in you favour but you might need a long run up. 4HP and below effectively displacement only unless on a light craft with a very efficient hull and one light person.

So ideally an 8HP on an 3m SIB?? Have a look at that search criteria on Ebay etc and perhaps link to some ideas for us to give guidance.
Thanks for the information mate. I think you are right that Iím not going to get something that planes within my budget unless Iím super lucky.

I think Iíll have to get something around the 4/5Hp mark,
With either a solid wooden floor or slatted.
Iím not sure on the difference in performance
__________________
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 11:49   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,217
Solid wood floor 99% of the time will have an inflatable keel under which tightens the underside material and gives a small V profile. Slatted floors often are flat floors.

The flat floor models are worse both with an outboard and rowing.

Slat floor models usually roll up with slats in place as opposed to having to set up a wooden floor which can be fiddly.
__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 11:55   #7
TJR
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Solid wood floor 99% of the time will have an inflatable keel under which tightens the underside material and gives a small V profile. Slatted floors often are flat floors.

The flat floor models are worse both with an outboard and rowing.

Slat floor models usually roll up with slats in place as opposed to having to set up a wooden floor which can be fiddly.
So realistically I need a solid wood with a 5HP which should be easily achievable with my budget, Iíve seen a few for sale but most of the sellers are a pain with replying etc
__________________
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 12:12   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,217
Yep along those lines. Weird re sellers not being interested.
__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 12:20   #9
TJR
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yep along those lines. Weird re sellers not being interested.

Exactly my thoughts, I get responses like, Iíve got someone coming to view in a week or Iím not in a rush to sell. Bearing in mind Iím offering full asking price upon viewing
__________________
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:16   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: BigRed
Make: Wetline 450HD
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40/20 1970s Mariners
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
If you don't mind going for older stuff then your budget should be fine.

I got a 3 or 3.2m Achilies, probably 1980s, hyperlon, wooden floor with inflatable keel for £180 plus collection. I've had her for 8 years and used her loads and she's tip-top.

Then an 8hp Jam for £250 inc tank. This time from the 70s.

This was my first set-up and it works a treat for what it is.

You may be struggling because you are trying to buy in the best summer we've had for ages.

I've also noticed that more and more people are getting into sibbing as more people find out it is affordable.

But I still see bargains coming up on ebay and gumtree quite frequently.... just keep searching....
__________________

__________________
bigfatfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib, sib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.