Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 November 2018, 21:28   #1

Town: Thessaloniki
Boat name: Zodiac Futura S
Make: France
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 30 HP
Zodiac with tube slide rail system - age does matter ?

Hello everybody !
I'm about to buy an used Zodiac Yachtline , from 2000 . Do I have to worry about joining ? Basically, this model has no gluing, with the slide on system of the tubes ... The tube ,, pieces,, are thermobonded, so they are durable ...
I have to be very careful about the quality of the PVC material itself, which degrades under the UV action, not the joints, isn t it ?
Some owners have done retubing , but the fiberglass hull has remained the same. Does it deteriorate over time? Except for physical trauma, is it physically harmed with aging or do I have to worry about it ? Thanks to all the members of the forum!
Old 05 November 2018, 08:05   #2

Town: Stratford upon Avon
I have a zodiac pro with vynl tubes. My understanding is that they deteriate more than hyperlon tubes when exposed to the sun. I was advised to look for a rib that had been stored or moored with a cover over the tubes and therefore protected from the sun. That was a major factor in my choice of rib. Had it or had it not had a boat cover on during its life.
Old 05 November 2018, 11:15   #3

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I have a 530 Pro that is plated as made in 1986 and the hull is rock solid and there is no sign of deterioration of the tube rails. We did take the tubes off once to refurb the hull (polish outside, paint the floor and transom), which was a bit of a job but not too daunting. My PVC tubes are at least 15 years old and in very good condition, although they were stored covered. The fabric that holds the life lines is starting to peel a tiny little bit, but not enough to prompt me to get the glue out. The main joints are welded and still good. The tubes are more resistant to marking than my new hypalon boat but more difficult to repair, so I'm told.

Phil M
Old 05 November 2018, 14:47   #4

Town: Thessaloniki
Boat name: Zodiac Futura S
Make: France
Engine: Mercury 30 HP
Thanks for the replies. I'm waiting for other answers to confirm my way of thinking about these ribs. The most sensitive points to damage from sun, heat or moisture are those glued with ... glue. The thermobonded ones are very resistant to these factors. I did not know if the keel deteriorates with time on these factors .

Tags
zodiac