Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 12 July 2016, 19:47   #21

Town: Chester, NS
Boat name: Zippy
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 130 2-stroke
I've just purchased a 1998 Open Pro 550 with a Yamaha 130, and find that at any speed other than wide open it doesn't chine walk, but wide open it does do a little side to side - not a fast oscillation, so not scary, but not comfortable, either. Of course the boat is rated for a 115, so the motor is a little over the top and I'm doing 49 mph wide open, so my thought is that I just won't run it wide open except to hop onto plane, which she does with alacrity

So far (one week in) the boat has no habits that give me pause, let alone grief, happily.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12 July 2016, 22:58   #22

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramoak View Post
I've just purchased a 1998 Open Pro 550 with a Yamaha 130, and find that at any speed other than wide open it doesn't chine walk, but wide open it does do a little side to side - not a fast oscillation, so not scary, but not comfortable, either. Of course the boat is rated for a 115, so the motor is a little over the top and I'm doing 49 mph wide open, so my thought is that I just won't run it wide open except to hop onto plane, which she does with alacrity

So far (one week in) the boat has no habits that give me pause, let alone grief, happily.

Cheers,

Chris
Nice!

I love the pro open platform.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 10:05   #23

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Digging this up again from the archives

Having had a Mercury Ocean Runner for the past 2 years as a trial into RIBS and their suitability as a fishing platform (after many years of conventional boats) I can honestly say there is no way I am going back to conventional boat again !

The time has come to upgrade and I am looking at a Zodiac 550 pro open package (new) with a Mercury 115. If it is the right boat it could well be my last boat as being in my mid 60's and all things being equal, I can see at least another 10 years of boating coming my way..........

I know from JonP that the RIB is up to the task, but I have a question about seating ......... personally I like swivel captains chairs or bench seats (jockeys are a serious NO), however, the package comes with a 'bolster' driver / co pilot seat and I am not so sure that I am going to like it that much ......... looking at this type of seat it seem that it is a bolster for leaning against as well as a seat for longer journeys ........ does anybody here use this type of driver seating and how good is it ?.
Old 30 April 2018, 10:33   #24

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Still going strong with my zodiac, popped 600 hrs on it and enjoyed ever minute.

Ive moved the seat from behind the console to infront of it leaving the rear completely clear. When driving hard I prefer being able have nothing behind me.

If I take a few extra people out just cruising I throw a couple of extra outdoor bean bags in the back.

Not sure if you were aware but the 550 pro tour is a little narrower to fit through a standard garage door (just).
Old 30 April 2018, 10:42   #25

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Still going strong with my zodiac, popped 600 hrs on it and enjoyed ever minute.

Ive moved the seat from behind the console to infront of it leaving the rear completely clear. When driving hard I prefer being able have nothing behind me.

If I take a few extra people out just cruising I throw a couple of extra outdoor bean bags in the back.

Not sure if you were aware but the 550 pro tour is a little narrower to fit through a standard garage door (just).
Hi Jon,

Mine will live in the driveway under a cover to one side of the garage (boat on one side and 2Ton GP trailer on the other side).

I am looking at a factory package. The seating arrangements will be grat #for taking the grandkids out ............... its just the driver / co-pilot seating that concerns me.

BTW : I note that the Zodiac blurb quotes all the range as now having deep V hulls ............
Old 30 April 2018, 12:59   #26

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
Great boat. I have a 2009 Pro Open 550 with a 100HP suzuki. very happy with it. It does sit on its tubes unlike some ribs, this makes it very stable in the turns and with less heel is great for younger and older passengers, but also means its not the quickest boat out there. I really like the bench seat, I use it more like a leaning post and very rarely actually sit down on it, unless I am on a very slow chug up a river with restricted speeds etc. Hope that helps J
Old 30 April 2018, 22:18   #27

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Due to back and neck injuries I find standing far better for me, even on big trips where we may on the water 10-12hrs. If you have a rear seat or leaning post just make sure it doesn't push you forward ending with your nuts cracking into the steering wheel. The bean bags I mention easely hold two kids and Bags would probably squeeze infront of my console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	124539  
Old 27 May 2018, 12:31   #28

Town: St Austell
Boat name: On Site
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 100hp outboard
RIBase
I got the 2006 model. I took the swivel seats out and replaced with a bolster seat and it’s so much better. You can’t see much when sitting in the seats. They are too low. Then when you stand they digged into the back of your legs. I prefer the booster seat.
Old 03 June 2018, 16:51   #29

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Again... ask Phil and Mark at PA Lynch, Morpeth (01670512291) they know their stuff, use a 550 and could no doubt customise the seating to your specification.