Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 July 2009, 10:40   #1

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
You know how boats bring out the 'stupid' in people .....

.... well, on Saturday, I managed to make an impressive addition to the list of knobheaded things I have done with boats.

The scene is I am preparing to launch the RIB at a slipway on the Thames from its rollercoaster trailer. Remove straps, trailer board, prop bag etc. All ready to go. My son is in the boat and will back off. Done this loads of time - easy peasy. So backing towards and just over the threshold of the slipway. Damn - forgot to attach the mooring line to the bow D-ring. Stopped positively (before the trailer wheels are even wet) expecting to jump out and attach the bow line. What's that thud? Eh - the boat's launched itself and is now sitting on the concrete slipway with the stern just clear of the water. Oh f*** - the winch strap wasn't attached. How the f*** did that happen?

I look menacingly at my son, who's protesting his innocence - "It wasn't me, Dad. I didn't touch it." Sod's law dictated, of course, that on this occasion the boat slipped easily and smoothly off the trailer with just a little encouragement- it usually take a lot more.

Well after a little head scratching (thankfully nobody else around to witness my embarrassment), we manhandled the boat into the water then dipped the trailer and recovered it again to survey the damage. There's a line of white gelcoat/GRP on the slipway but no visible damage other than an abraded area of ~6 square inches right on the 'V' of the stern section, possibly 2-3mm of GRP ground off. I think the hull is at its heaviest point just there so I think I will just need to seal/paint the damaged area to prevent water ingress.

Looking back - I know exactly how the winch strap managed to be unattached. As is often the case, the hook on the winch strap hinders removing the bow line. After I had recovered the boat on the last occasion, I must have removed the winch strap to get the bow line off and then not reattached it. Why I didn't notice that it was unattached, when I was removing the ratchet strap that I use to secure the bow to the trailer, I don't know. Anyway, not too much damage done but I think this may make some of you chuckle and think "there but for the grace of God..."
Old 07 July 2009, 11:05   #2

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Interestingly, I watched three or four guys launch a big diving RIB (8m+ with 200hp Yamaha) from Falmouth slipway recently. Having undone everything, and I mean everything, at the top of the slipway, and with two or three of them still in the boat, the trailer was reversed towards the water whereupon the tow vehicle braked sharply and the RIB shot off the back of the bunk trailer and into the water

I kid you not, it was a perfect launch...two of the guys on board never stopped their conversation and coffee drinking and the third guy sauntered up to the helm, lowered and started the engine, did a smart U turn and drove away.

It won my applause
Old 07 July 2009, 11:07   #3

Town: London
Boat name: N/A
Send a message via MSN to boomer
We had the opposite the other week, had the boat on the trailer on the slipway in sufficient depth of water etc but the boat wouldnt come off the trailer no matter how hard the engine was revved it wouldnt come of. The skipper HAD removed the securing lines etc so thought it was something holding the boat underneath or behind the trailer.

One pull of the trailer out of the water and lo and behold it was discovered that the place the securing line was normally attached to had a 2nd securing line that we never saw before attached to it!

One removal of that and our Ribbing session started (in more ways than one!)
Old 07 July 2009, 13:49   #4

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Given my recent record, I'm not sure how I'd get on if I had to trailer as well!
Old 07 July 2009, 14:03   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Saw a classic last week - people trying to launch a boat into our harbour when the tide was right out. The slip flattens off at the bottom and is covered in deep mud for the last 15yds - they had a vectra!!!

Even better the trailer was just a flat bed and would need to be well submerged.

They seemed to have no clue about tides and weren't happy that they would have to wait until the next day. God help them in the Burry Estuary if they don't understand tides - they soon will..........
Old 07 July 2009, 15:09   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Posted this before, but it's kind of amusing, so I'll write it up again.

A couple of years ago, a buddy of mine, Jeff, stayed down in Monterey past the weekend to get in a couple more dives. Steve, another dive buddy, stayed with him. Monday morning they go to splash the boat, and Jeff lowers the tailgate on his pickup so he can see the trailer. He backs into the water, with Steve tending lines. No go. Jeff backs in a bit more, and the boat doesn't want to move. So, he pulls forwards a ways, backs in, and hits the brakes. Boat still stuck on the trailer. Pull forward again, reverse quickly, and nail the brakes hard. And everything in the back of the pickup slides gracefully into Monterey Harbor. Next 15 minutes is spent recovering cylinders, spare dive gear, the cooler (flipped open, of course), lunch meat packages, heads of lettuce, water and soda bottles, etc. Both of them are giggling like schoolgirls (nobody else around, unfortunately.) Once all the flotsam has been rounded up, Jeff investigates what's holding the boat on. He wades in and, feeling around, finds one of the transom straps still attached. He releases it, and nearly has his head taken off as the boat pops up, and nearly crushes his foot as the trailer drops back to the ramp.

Surprising thing was he admitted it. Of course, I suppose if he didn't Steve would have.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty amusing.

jky
Old 07 July 2009, 15:56   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Interestingly, I watched three or four guys launch a big diving RIB (8m+ with 200hp Yamaha) from Falmouth slipway recently. Having undone everything, and I mean everything, at the top of the slipway, and with two or three of them still in the boat, the trailer was reversed towards the water whereupon the tow vehicle braked sharply and the RIB shot off the back of the bunk trailer and into the water
It can be a very effective way of launching. Done well it is very cool, and really shows up the people who faff around endlessly on the slipway.

However it should definitely be considered an advanced technique as there is ample scope for screwing up spectacularly, which is definitely not cool!

It pays to be familiar with the slipway, as it requires total commitment - once you start reversing you can't stop early. With a roller trailer you don't need to be going fast, and don't need to brake very hard.

A slightly less hazardous method (although not quite as cool) is to keep the bow attached and stop when you are a few feet from the water. You can then stop, release the boat from the trailer then back up the remaining distance and launch the boat.

Make sure there's enough water, and try not to swamp the boat
Old 07 July 2009, 16:49   #8

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
We were at Traeth Bychan when this happened. Sorry for nickin the piccy....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chezzi camera june 06 085.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	43849  
Old 07 July 2009, 16:55   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Saw a classic last week - people trying to launch a boat into our harbour when the tide was right out. The slip flattens off at the bottom and is covered in deep mud for the last 15yds - they had a vectra!!!
You'd be surprised what boat recovery feats a vectra can achieve, even at low tide in my mate's hands!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2009, 20:27   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
We were at Traeth Bychan when this happened. Sorry for nickin the piccy....

Looks expensive. Gel coat definately scraped. Goodness knows what the sterndrive would be like. And an audience too. Bu**er eh?
Old 07 July 2009, 21:03   #11

Town: Suffolk
Boat name: Parker380
Make: Parker
Engine: 30HP 4st EFI
".........Looking back - I know exactly how the winch strap managed to be unattached. As is often the case, the hook on the winch strap hinders removing the bow line. After I had recovered the boat on the last occasion, I must have removed the winch strap to get the bow line off and then not reattached it........."
Daft question but..........
When I recovery my boat, and until I launch it again the winch stays on and wound up. The winch strap does get wet.
Will this material rot?
Should this be rinsed and left uncoiled to dry?
Old 07 July 2009, 22:20   #12

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have seen the "reverse and brake method" used before and watched the car being pulled right in with the trailer without the boat being tied on, it just stuck a bit and the weight pulled the lot in.
Now I may be daft but I never take off the bow strap until the trailer is actually in the water positioned for launching and never, ever just rely on the winch strap. IMO relying on the winch strap alone or disconnecting everything before reversing in is just asking for trouble and making the accident just a matter of "when" rather than "if"
But then again maybe I am just daft and cautious?
Old 08 July 2009, 11:49   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
But then again maybe I am just daft and cautious?
No I think this is very sensible.

Personally I take off all straps except for the winch strap, but I also feed the bow line around the winch post and tie it off back on-board. The winch strap is then released either from within the boat once in the water or just at the point where I avoid getting wet feet (ie when the winch post is in-line with the water line). The bow line can then be released when the skippers happy.

I'll also echo comments that the reverse and brake method can look quite slick - but I've seen it go quite wrong on a number of occasions and I now cringe every time I see it used.
Old 08 July 2009, 11:55   #14

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
I'll also echo comments that the reverse and brake method can look quite slick
The guys I watched were way beyond slick...they were bloody awesome. I have never seen such a big RIB launched with such ease and confidence. You'd pay money to watch it
Old 08 July 2009, 12:16   #15

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
I'll also echo comments that the reverse and brake method can look quite slick - but I've seen it go quite wrong on a number of occasions and I now cringe every time I see it used.
I agree. It's too easy for things to go wrong, and it's never fully under control. Amongst the times I've seen it go wrong, it's ended up with:

* child on the beach being knocked down because the driver was reversing too fast without being able to see behind
* car and trailer failing to stop on a weedy slipway and the whole rig launching - right up to the car's front windscreen
* boat launching off the trailer but into too shallow water with a fast ebbing tide, and the boat left high and dry after a few minutes
* boat being launched with nobody onboard

I strongly discourage all my trainees from launching like this if I know it's their normal practice. Looking cool doesn't compare to being in control, in my opinion

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2009, 13:06   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
With Ian on this - get it 'right' - you look 'cool' and launch in 30 secs . Get it wrong and you launch in hours/ days & look a muppet when you/ someone else gets injured.

I'd rather take 3 minutes to reverse , launch & drive away , than try & save a few mintes and hurt someone.

We all do this for pleasure & in an odd way I actually enjoy doing things slowly & showing control , rather than rush it. Likewise with speed restrictions - it shows far more maturity & conrol to actually slow down & stick to them rather than blast through them.
Old 08 July 2009, 16:19   #17

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Quote:
When I recovery my boat, and until I launch it again the winch stays on and wound up. The winch strap does get wet.
Will this material rot?
Should this be rinsed and left uncoiled to dry?
Possibly extend the life a bit but by the time it's rotted with a bit of saltwater (if it does) it probably should be replaced anyway. A new winch strap is ~£10 so a more or less consumable item.
Old 08 July 2009, 17:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Possibly extend the life a bit but by the time it's rotted with a bit of saltwater (if it does) it probably should be replaced anyway. A new winch strap is ~£10 so a more or less consumable item.
Agreed

http://www.towsure.com/product/1328-...Strap_and_Hook
Old 08 July 2009, 17:15   #19

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I would say the sunlight does more damage than the water - put a cover over it!!!
Old 08 July 2009, 19:27   #20

Usually the hooks rust up before the strap gives out....