Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 March 2006, 15:08   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Encinitas, CA
Boat name: no boat
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Engine: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Why RIBs?

Hi everyone,

I grew up boating on the great lakes as a kid (sail, power, runabouts) and I've finally pulled enough cash together to take the plunge and buy a boat of my own.

I've really been impressed with the advancements in RIBs over the last couple of years, but I'm having a hard time rationalizing why I want to go with a RIB as opposed to the fiberglass cruisng/skiing/fishing boats that I grew up on.

Ideally, I'm looking for something in the 25-30 ft. range that could be used as an all purpose boat.

I've been searching the Internet, but could really use some better direction as to the specific advantages of RIBs over the traditional fiberglass hulls. Any websites or personal stories are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
LeBeauMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2006, 15:18   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Ribs seem to be popular in places with rough seas and big tides. They will handle rougher conditions than most normal boats. Having said that they are also pretty popular in the Med these days!!!

Many people call a RIB the 4x4 of the sea - it's a bit like people who buy SUVs even when they don't need them!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2006, 15:41   #3
JIY
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 174
Hi Mel,

If you do a search through this Forum you will find loads on the advantages of RIBs over conventional sports boats, but to summarise:

1. RIBS generally have deep V hulls, which cut through the waves and thus give much better rough water handling and a more comfortable ride than a sportsboat. RIBs can tolerate the reduced lateral stability of a deep V hull, because they have "roll dampening" and additional bouyancy from the inflatable tubes.

2. The inflatable tubes also act as a "shock-absorber" in rough seas, giving a more comfortable ride and also provide all-round protection for the boat, so no fear of scraping GRP coming alongside piers, other boats, etc.

3. With a well founded RIB you can fill the boat with water and it will not sink. Good scuppers mean that shipped water is quickly drained, so you can venture out in rougher seas without fear of swamping.

4. The best reason of all - they are the coolest looking boats on the water!

Hope this is of some use,

Jim
__________________
JIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2006, 16:02   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
my reasons for choosing a rib were

1. lighter in weight than equivalent sized hard boat so easier to trailer with a standard car.

2. unsinkable so you can stuff it into a wave, swamping the boat and still cary on, meaning I can go out in rougher conditions.



Its funny as I here the question why buy a RIB quite often. but when I bought my boat I was thr other way round and was strugling to find reasons to buy a hard boat.

what ever yo choose one thing is for certain - you will have a great time and want a bigger one in three months time
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2006, 16:09   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottingham
Boat name: Boxer
Make: Quicksilver 450R
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 50
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 54
Hi

Don't forget ribs are really suitable for dive boats, even the smaller ones.
They are also good for water ski.

Plus when you hit things they bounce !
__________________
Bootneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2006, 16:30   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Many people call a RIB the 4x4 of the sea - it's a bit like people who buy SUVs even when they don't need them!!!
Yep...

Can I draw a comparison here about people who don't know how to use their 4x4's when they need to?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2006, 05:24   #7
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIY
Hi Mel,

If you do a search through this Forum you will find loads on the advantages of RIBs over conventional sports boats, but to summarise:

1. RIBS generally have deep V hulls, which cut through the waves and thus give much better rough water handling and a more comfortable ride than a sportsboat. RIBs can tolerate the reduced lateral stability of a deep V hull, because they have "roll dampening" and additional bouyancy from the inflatable tubes.

2. The inflatable tubes also act as a "shock-absorber" in rough seas, giving a more comfortable ride and also provide all-round protection for the boat, so no fear of scraping GRP coming alongside piers, other boats, etc.

3. With a well founded RIB you can fill the boat with water and it will not sink. Good scuppers mean that shipped water is quickly drained, so you can venture out in rougher seas without fear of swamping.

4. The best reason of all - they are the coolest looking boats on the water!

Hope this is of some use,

Jim
Now that is the sort of concise and relevant advice that makes forums like this such useful places for people like me that don't know much about the subject but want to get started
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2006, 05:49   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,195
One other thing is the increased deck area compared to an equivilent sized hard boat, much more space for seating, access to the bow, beer, kids, dogs, beer, dinghys, canoes, beer, fuel tanks, BBQs, spare engines, beer and erm... beer. There is no space wased on un-useable bunks, impractical galleys and inaccessable heads.
Still not sure, try going for a walk on a ski boat.
__________________
Mark H
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" Douglas Adams
Mark Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2006, 06:35   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
This is not a characteristic of a RIB though. Its a characteristic of an "Open Boat" - An "Open" RIB actually has less deck space than the equivalent sized "Open" Hard Boat because you loose at least 0.5m all the way round to the tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
One other thing is the increased deck area compared to an equivilent sized hard boat, much more space for seating, access to the bow, beer, kids, dogs, beer, dinghys, canoes, beer, fuel tanks, BBQs, spare engines, beer and erm... beer. There is no space wased on un-useable bunks, impractical galleys and inaccessable heads.
Still not sure, try going for a walk on a ski boat.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2006, 06:39   #10
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
allso depends on the config of the boat and seating arrangements and size of console, my boat is snug i would say, codders boat is huge in comparison with loads of room to walk around and have a party
__________________

__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.