Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 March 2005, 10:14   #51
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen-RIB
Well, that might be the case in that occasion, but do we know how old the rafts were, when they were last serviced, were they stored properly, what make they were?
Both in Service made by RFD or something, they are an Australian company. des
__________________

__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2005, 11:22   #52
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Spectre of Defeat II
Make: Halmatic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 80hp merc
MMSI: N/A
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
Proved by a liferaft salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen-RIB
You are talking absolute tosh! There are many good reasons to carry a liferaft on a RIB as I think Alan Priddy and his guys will tell you.

What about Fire, collision with a large object, capsize or flipping. All of these can happen inshore and offshore and carrying a liferaft would be prudent if it can be afforded by the user.
----------------------

I accept maybe for Syndney Hobart rib races or fastnet rib races a liferaft might be a comfort but for 99.9% of the ribbing population who likes to burn around the Solent a liferaft is a waste of deckspace and a hazard.

The fact that the defence is coming for a liferaft salesman proves the point.
__________________

__________________
spectre racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2005, 11:51   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre racing
----------------------

I accept maybe for Syndney Hobart rib races or fastnet rib races a liferaft might be a comfort but for 99.9% of the ribbing population who likes to burn around the Solent a liferaft is a waste of deckspace and a hazard.

The fact that the defence is coming for a liferaft salesman proves the point.
Who says a liferaft must be deck mounted? If you like to burn up and down the Solent you are probably more likely to have a collision. The water is not always that warm and if you did have to abandon boat I know exactly where I would prefer to be whilst I waited for the RNLI or India Juliet..... In a nice warm liferaft wrapped up in a TPA.

I agree that a liferaft might not be so useful on a boat buzzing up and down the Solent if space is limited but a small 4 man raft in a valise takes up no more room than your cool box packed with all your beer, in an emergency such as a fire it would be a useful item to have. There are quite a few members on this forum who cruise a lot further afield than the Solent and to make stupid generalisations about it being some money making scam for the MCA is just plain stupid and makes you sound like you are trolling.

The fact that I sell liferafts has nothing to do with my opinion on here - I sell a handful each year and its no big money earner for me. I have been sailing since I was 7 years old. I have been driving Rigid Inflatable Boats professionally and for pleasure for about 14 years. I sail thousands of sea miles each year on all sorts of boats professionally and for fun, I write in-depth sailing news and have done for many years and I am also fully trained in boat repair, plus I used to service rafts for Messenger Marine before they sold out so I think I have some experience on the subject of the suitability of liferafts for boats and its not my commercial head speaking. But since you have given me the idea if anyone wants a raft there is a discount for RIBnet members!

The fact that you only joined this forum a couple of days ago and spouted of some tosh about it being a socialist scam doesnt help your argument.
__________________
Stephen-RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2005, 12:18   #54
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Stephen do you realize who it is?
RIB charter fiasco
This old cowboy, when under the name of Atlantic Web!
Nick
__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2005, 12:23   #55
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre racing
----------------------

I accept maybe for Syndney Hobart rib races or fastnet rib races a liferaft might be a comfort but for 99.9% of the ribbing population who likes to burn around the Solent a liferaft is a waste of deckspace and a hazard.

The fact that the defence is coming for a liferaft salesman proves the point.
I have been looking at this thread for some time now and wasnt going to get involved. However I note your comments about the solent. The Solent is Categorised Waters and therefore classified as a safe boating haven, and if you were to have a problem which led to you having to abandon the boat then I am sure the rescue services would get to you before that time came to Jump. However you must appreciate that this forum is not just for people who do their boating in the Solent. If you were crossing channel and you were 30 miles from the english coast and suddenly you had a bad fire on the boat, or you capsized what would you do. You could say well it is a RIB so sit on the hull. How long do you think it would take for hyperthermia to set in, not long, and would you also have all the equipment and supplies to keep you alive and also communicate with the emergency services. This is the reason for having a life raft, but remember that it should only be used as the last resort. I would therefore recommend anybody who is planning on doing any long offshore passages to have a liferaft, not saying you have to buy one as they can be hired at a reasonable price.
__________________
Simon Hawkins
http://www.rnli.org.uk/cowes
Simon Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2005, 13:18   #56
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre racing
----------------------

I accept maybe for Syndney Hobart rib races or fastnet rib races a liferaft might be a comfort but for 99.9% of the ribbing population who likes to burn around the Solent a liferaft is a waste of deckspace and a hazard.

The fact that the defence is coming for a liferaft salesman proves the point.
So, as rogue wave said, do you put liftrafts on your charter RIBs?

Not sure if you've noticed the tide in the solent, but it flows in such a way that means you could be several miles out in the channel within minutes of an incident occuring. Liferaft or sitting wet and cold on an exposed upturned RIB hull (sitting on a deep vee wouldn't be overly comfortable either )?? I know where i'd rather be in rough, windy cold weather at night.

Tim
__________________
slimtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2005, 06:58   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
I think that one issue with a lift raft is that you are very unlikely to use it and as such it is additional weight for little benefit. whereas if you owned an inflatable that could be use as a tender and a liferaft you would have the best of both worlds
A tender on a larger rib would allow you to moor off and go ashore more easily and if it doubled as a life raft even better Tinker tramp made by Henshaws does just that, which is a shame because I was going to patent the idea isnít it funny how a lot of the best ideas have already been invented
Des
__________________

__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.