Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 29 October 2009, 17:37   #21

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Yeah I don't like anything which the 'possibility' of arch damage... not worth the risk!!! living on the edge a bit too much i think...

although taking bridle up from eye, and just lopping around base of arch might work as it'll just raise it up a little, and by going right around the bottom of the arch will be at it strongest point...

It's anchored with 4 screws in 4 legs (2 either side, back and front), so 16 screws in total... so it's pretty well grounded...

See my professional diagram attached... so although the bridle rope is going around the nav arch, it is right at the bottom, (rather than using a rope from the top of the arch, at its weakest point) and also it'll just be rolling around it - most of the force will still be taken by the transom eyes...

Looks like I need another biscuitting session to sort it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	47233  
Old 30 October 2009, 10:27   #22

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
What are you attatching the bridle to? I guess as it is a designed tow / trailer anchor it might be thru- bolted. Can then fix it inboard and the force on the frame will be reduced to a mostly inward pull (Vectored forces) which will be mostly perpendicular to the screws and slightly forward, so they will be mostly in shear and the plate being forced against the transom. Your sketch will effectively double the force the frame has to anchor - that arrangement will turn your bridle into a 2:1 pulley system!

I'd stick with replacing the nut / bolt on the inside of the current tow eye with an Eye version, then loop it as described earlier. That means the frame will only be taking the force resulting in the direction change of the rope rather than twice the tail load.
Old 30 October 2009, 16:48   #23

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
What are you attatching the bridle to? I guess as it is a designed tow / trailer anchor it might be thru- bolted. Can then fix it inboard and the force on the frame will be reduced to a mostly inward pull (Vectored forces) which will be mostly perpendicular to the screws and slightly forward, so they will be mostly in shear and the plate being forced against the transom. Your sketch will effectively double the force the frame has to anchor - that arrangement will turn your bridle into a 2:1 pulley system!

I'd stick with replacing the nut / bolt on the inside of the current tow eye with an Eye version, then loop it as described earlier. That means the frame will only be taking the force resulting in the direction change of the rope rather than twice the tail load.
oh!

thanks for the heads up... i forgot all my highschool physics as soon as I walked out the classrooom!