Old 20 June 2014, 11:08   #1

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Whitby

Anyone outing up at whitby area this weekend . Did our first launch there , there was a bit of swell and chop and it was January . So thinking of heading up tomorrow .

To a novice it looks like it will be pretty calm but any more experienced local knowledge welcome .

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 20 June 2014, 18:41   #2

Right we are going to head up to whitby in the morning . Has anyone gone from whitby to staithes and if so what's staithes like for beginners to enter and can you moor up there ?

Old 20 June 2014, 22:24   #3
keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Engine: 55HP
We were at Filey last weekend. As a relative Newbie, i've not launched at either but would be interested to know how you get on as they are both relatively close to me.
Old 21 June 2014, 04:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg View Post
We were at Filey last weekend. As a relative Newbie, i've not launched at either but would be interested to know how you get on as they are both relatively close to me.

The launch at whitby is very easy . It's well in the harbour and very sheltered . It's also well away from the crowds !

Like I said earlier when we launched it was pretty choppy with what I thought was a pretty big swell . So as soon as we got out from the protection of the harbour walls things changed a bit . It was great practice but I don't really know how bad it was as we had nothing to compare it to .

It was more of a challenge to get anywhere than a pleasure and I have bought the boat more for pleasure than hero badges . We have had a few trips on the Solent and had a week on guernsey so with that under our belt it will be interesting to see the difference this time .

Apart from the obvious ones like better fish, chips,beer,scenery and friendlier people that talk properly .

Old 21 June 2014, 11:00   #5

Hi fellar
I know exactly what you mean about Whitby, we took ours out there earlier in the year and as soon as we left the harbour it was a climbing excercise, my missus and I are ex cruisers and relatively new to ribbing, do you come through Harrogate on Friday evening, I passed a rib on a trailer and thought he could only be Whitby bound. We've just done two weeks in Cornwall, all I can say is lucky devils.

Old 21 June 2014, 21:13   #6

Evening picky .
Just got back , fantastic day . There was a swell but well spread and great fun boating on . It was a relief to us because we love whitby and was thinking that it was always going to be to rough . We went over to staithes which was stunning , had a pint in the cod and lobster .

It wasn't us going through Harrogate on Friday . We go up the m1 then A1 , York etc

Old 21 June 2014, 21:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg View Post

Great experience today , if you want to have a chat anytime I would be happy to share my very limited knowledge of whitby launching .