Old 28 August 2006, 06:26   #21

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Sib

If it were me and I was looking for an economical dive boat I would go for a 14 foot SIB. They are just as seaworthy as a RIB (please don't ban me) and they are more cost effective. A 14 foot hypalon sib with a 40 HP engine is fast, economical, and I would easily take it to catalina. I live in AK where nothing is close, and fishing 60 miles from the point of departure is not at all uncommon (but neither is carrying a 55 gallon fuel drum). A 14 foot sib, a four stroke 40 HP and 2 12 gallon tanks will take you a long way from home, and will also carry a good deal of gear. 2 guys, 1 small cooler, and 6 air tanks would be tight in a small boat, but not at all dangerous. Just don't stab it with a dive knife!!!!

Jimmy
Old 28 August 2006, 07:19   #22

Town: Ventura
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
10 miles from Ventura puts you at the frontside of Anacapa. Kind of depends on what you're going for, but the better diving is on the backside (conditions allowing, of course.) Makes for a triip of about 18 miles (according to a buddy who does it fairly often in his 17' Whaler. I never have. Yet.)

But, in any case, a 15' RIB would be fine for that if you pick your days (actually, you could get out more often than the Whaler, which pounds a lot in chop.) The limiting factor is likely to be how much of a beating your body will take, and how much you're willing to slow down, rather than how much the boat will handle.

You do have one advantage on that trip, as the islands themselves knock down a lot of the NW swell that is prevalent here on the left coast.

Luck;

jky
Your friend must be Chuck Tribolet
Old 28 August 2006, 08:53   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
No, but I know Chuck pretty well, too.

The guys name is Kawika. Usually wears a blue hardhat as seagull protection (much to the amusement of other divers in Monterey.)

jky
Old 28 August 2006, 18:12   #24

What is an SIB? And how does it differ from a RIB?
Old 28 August 2006, 18:13   #25
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
A SIB is a soft bottom with floorboards-ie pretty much a normal inflatable.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2006, 18:36   #26

O.K. It would be significantly cheaper but it wouldnt give you the performance or the stability of a RIB. I like the RIB because it could handle the weather and has the offshore capabilities im looking for. I wouldn't think that a SIB would.
Old 28 August 2006, 20:58   #27

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rpj
O.K. It would be significantly cheaper but it wouldnt give you the performance or the stability of a RIB. I like the RIB because it could handle the weather and has the offshore capabilities im looking for. I wouldn't think that a SIB would.
Neither would I because much of a RIB's seagoing ability seems to be down to the hull design rather than the water-wings stuck on the outside, thus it follows that a boat with no hull is not going to be a great achiever - though like many things it probably depends on who is driving as much as anything.

I have seen a fairly big SIB out on one windy day when I was out and it looked like riding inside a tumble drier would have been more comfortable, whereas mine was just cruising along with hardly a bump, this thing only had one guy in and a 20hp outboard on the back and it looked like it was going to take off over every single wave. Needed a few cases of beer in the front to keep the nose down

On the other hand they start at less than a grand so I must admit I've been toying with the idea of getting a little one that would take my 6hp aux just for buggering about in and maybe taking to locations I wouldn't want to tow the RIB on its whacking great trailer
Old 29 August 2006, 01:20   #28

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
Quote:
Hey guys have been lurking here for a while and now became a member. Seems like i'm quite a ways away from most of you being on the West Coast of the US. Looking for a RIB that would handle being taken offshore 15 miles or so. We have a channel here that can be very unpredictable and quite rough. I got a quote from Ribcraft usa for a RIB for a 15' with a 50 horsepower outboard for $30,000 US. Not sure what that equates to for the rest of you but it just about knocked me out of my chair. Is this what I would be looking to pay? Any sugestions you have? Thanx guys

As they say, you get what you pay for. The RIBCRAFT 4.8 will last you 5 times as long as the zodiac. I've seen the resale values of these RIBs extremely high even after 5 or so years. My RIBCRAFT is only a couple years old, but it's the best boat I've ever owned.

RIBs are not more expensive than hard sided boats of the same quality, but yes they do require much more labor and materials to build. You can always find a cheaper boat out there. Think of it more of an investment that will reward you when you're ready to move on, or cash in.

Being local to RIBCRAFT here on the east coast, I see quite a few of them. $30,000 for the 4.8m means you probably chose many options that you probably could do without. I think the average price these days is around $25K. They have great customer service even out west, something you don't always find with other RIB companies. Also, they're great guys to work with.

I would feel comfortable taking even the 4.8 out 15 miles offshore......
Old 29 August 2006, 02:03   #29

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
A lot of your fellow american ribnetters have bought ex gov$ Avon seariders and for not many bucks either. they are one of the toughest small boats ever built and therefore make a really good durable project.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2006, 11:31   #30

Agreed

I agree,
A SIB is not as nice of a ride in rough weather, but it is seaworthy. Another option for a nice seaworthy dive boat is a stabi-craft. I saw them allmost bought a new 17 foot with a 50 horse four stroke honda for 17k at this years boat show, that was before I found the RIB I currently own. I am sure there is a dealer near you. HMMM... Allways love the hassle of decisions for new toys.. Good luck, and let us see what you get!
Jimmy
Old 29 August 2006, 11:33   #31

Explain

[QUOTE=Tibs] As they say, you get what you pay for. The RIBCRAFT 4.8 will last you 5 times as long as the zodiac. I've seen the resale values of these RIBs extremely high even after 5 or so years. My RIBCRAFT is only a couple years old, but it's the best boat I've ever owned.

What's wrong with Zodiac? Mine is 17 years old and is in excellent shape.
Old 29 August 2006, 16:45   #32

My friend just got a stabicraft about two months ago. They are the New Zealand version of ACB. It is an awesome boat and at half the price of the ACB. I would rather be in a RIB than an aluminum boat. Aluminum boats break welds in our channel on a regular basis. Im getting a quote from zodiac to see if they would be any better priced. I know that a zodiac isn't a ribcraft but if there is a significant price difference then I dont mind as much.
Old 29 August 2006, 16:47   #33

Where are people over on this side of the pond finding the used ex military ribs. I can find very little of any used RIBs over here.
Old 29 August 2006, 17:21   #34

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Welcome and good job on finding this site. We too found it a very helpfull tool in choosing a RIB. We ended up with a 7.8M Ribcraft, which is bigger than you are looking for but very much like the product and do exactly the kind of boating you are thinking about doing.

Check out our website and then come by for a ride and you'll be sold. Got to go. Call us.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2006, 18:01   #35

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
they are coming direct from the gov surplus auctions or bought secondhand.

I'll try and ferret out the posts from some of them and you can ask em yourself,

by the way if you calculate the longevity of a new ribcraft using the tibjimbzod equation

then one tib + 5 Jimbzod
given that we already know that an jimbzod =17

I reckon a new ribcraft would last you 85 years
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2006, 18:16   #36

Channel Watch you guys do have an awesome RIB. I would love to take a look at it sometime.
Old 29 August 2006, 19:05   #37

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
One of the nice things about Ribcraft is that the same quality and ride characteristics carry throughout their entire size range. The Mitigator is currently on the trailer for maintenance but should be back in the water very soon. Do let us take you for a spin before making any decissions.

Is the friend with the Stabicraft Andy? I'll swap a ride on the Mitigator for a ride on the Stabicraft. I'm curious about the ride and handling differences.

Give us a call,
Paul and Beverly
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2006, 19:41   #38

Hey Paul the friend with the stabicraft is Andy. Its a cool boat and I wouldnt hesitate to go out on it in some rough weather, but I feel that a RIB would prove to be a smoother ride.
Old 29 August 2006, 21:24   #39

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Where are people over on this side of the pond finding the used ex military ribs. I can find very little of any used RIBs over here.
I'm one of those guys. Found an ex-USCG 5.4mR Searider on eBay. Happened to be located one town away, and was offered by my mooring guy. He bought it at a govmt surplus auction and never got around to fitting it out. eBay really is the #1 place to look, though you have to be patient. I was watching for nearly a year before I found my RIB. There was one on YachtWorld.com for a long time, so I suppose it's worth watching there too. THere's little option for immediate gratification if you're lookng for a used RIB in the US. I suspect that most, if not all of the Seariders have been retired and sold off by the gvmt already.

I recently spend a day on a Ribcraft 4.8. Great RIB too, though it was a calm day. A Ribcraft is probably the only boat I would consider trading my Searider for, that's readily availible in the USA. Saw a Mitigator rolling through town on its trailer today (I'm in Ribcraft USA's hometown).
Old 29 August 2006, 22:17   #40

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
I've found and reconditioned several ex-military RIBs in the USA over the past few years - just do a google search for government surplus and you can quickly find more web sites than you will have time to keep up with. For example, I've sold two 24' Willard RIBs with 180hp inboard diesels this year for less than $30k each, and several last year from 18' to 30' (early 90's vintage).

I currently have a 5.4 SeaRider that is hull and tubes only and needs the rub strake re-attached; a 24' Zodiac Hurricane 733 that is hull only; and a 30' 600hp jet drive Novamarine. The Novamarine is sold (I think), but the Zodiac may still be available, although there is a buyer if I can get it transported to him.

The price for new RIBs anywhere is high, so these ex-military ones can be a very good way to get on the water with a lot of boat for relatively little money - but plan on doing some work yourself to keep the price as low as possible. Best of luck with your search....