Old 02 January 2005, 12:58   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
Got news for you, it bloody well does!! The med can be the nastiest place in the world to boat where as the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel is just a shity place. Alan P
Granted you do SOMETIMES get nasty conditions in the Med but generally speaking their wind speeds are lower than the UK which faces onto the open Atlantic.

Alan you have quite enough experience of crossing the Atlantic and other areas - do you honestly feel as "at risk" in the med?

My father lives in Portugal and keeps his boats in Gib - we have travelled around most of the med as far as the Greek islands - have yet to encounter anything as scary as the Irish sea!!!
Old 02 January 2005, 16:29   #22

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The V isn't quite as deep as some of the other British boats but is still deeper than most of the med style ones.

As to the med being nasty sorry but just doesn't compare with the Irish Sea or Bristol Channel
Hang on, one minute your implying the med is just a mill pond (which we are clearly not believing) and next your saying the Cobra isn't up to it because it doesn't have a ultra deep V hull. So you consider a deep V essential, why?Personally I would choose a warped V hull as the best compromise. Amazingly I find myself agreeing with John fuller for once
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8278&page=2

You asked if Alan feels "at risk" in the med. Well I will answer that, yes the speed at which the weather can change in the Med is scary and whilst we do have the odd blow in the UK at least you have plenty of warning that its going to happen.

Pete
Old 02 January 2005, 17:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Hang on, one minute your implying the med is just a mill pond (which we are clearly not believing) and next your saying the Cobra isn't up to it because it doesn't have a ultra deep V hull. So you consider a deep V essential, why?Personally I would choose a warped V hull as the best compromise. Amazingly I find myself agreeing with John fuller for once

You asked if Alan feels "at risk" in the med. Well I will answer that, yes the speed at which the weather can change in the Med is scary and whilst we do have the odd blow in the UK at least you have plenty of warning that its going to happen.

Pete
The med IS a mill pond most of the time - granted though the conditions DO change very quickly which can catch people out big style! When people seek adventure saying "I have crossed the med" doesn't have quite the same ring to it - I don't think Mr Priddy would have been as well known as he is if he had organised a trans med run!!!

I did NOT say the Cobra wasn't up to it - I said the Cobra wasn't quite as good as the Revenger and Scorpion but I said it was BETTER than a lot of boats designed for the med!

As to why I think it is better to have a deep V it is through asking questions and reading up a lot on the subject - words written by the people in the know on ribnet!!! Hope I haven't made a mistake as I have ordered a deep V myself!!!
Old 02 January 2005, 17:12   #24

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ooh, new boat, what have you ordered ?

pete
Old 02 January 2005, 17:21   #25

Quote:
Ooh, new boat, what have you ordered ?

pete
An 8.5m custom build - all will be revealed when it is ready - hopefully March - April but loads of mods going on so may take a little bit longer! Will be powered by a 225hp outboard - single unfortunately as can't afford to run a twin setup - and from what people say I will only gain about 8mph anyway!!!
Old 02 January 2005, 19:41   #26

Quote:
An 8.5m custom build - all will be revealed when it is ready - hopefully March - April but loads of mods going on so may take a little bit longer! Will be powered by a 225hp outboard - single unfortunately as can't afford to run a twin setup - and from what people say I will only gain about 8mph anyway!!!
A 8.5m.rib could make approxemately 60 knots with twin 225hp. (take a look at www.actionboat.dk). If the loss in speed is only 8mph/6knots, you will get 54 knots out of your new rib!!!! My best guess is 44 knots depending on the hull.But I do agree with everything else you write, the price you have to pay in order to feed 2 big engines is too high, and think twice before you by a two-stroke engine, the oilconsumption is huge and expensive. Good luck with your new boat!
By the way, the boatbuilders have far to much to do now, make sure that you follow up during the building-period, do not belive anything the boatbuilder claims when he sais he is the best builder, they all are! Take the boat for many hours of test-drive before paying the last payment.
Old 02 January 2005, 20:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordrafting
A 8.5m.rib could make approxemately 60 knots with twin 225hp. (take a look at www.actionboat.dk). If the loss in speed is only 8mph/6knots, you will get 54 knots out of your new rib!!!! My best guess is 44 knots depending on the hull.But I do agree with everything else you write, the price you have to pay in order to feed 2 big engines is too high, and think twice before you by a two-stroke engine, the oilconsumption is huge and expensive. Good luck with your new boat!
By the way, the boatbuilders have far to much to do now, make sure that you follow up during the building-period, do not belive anything the boatbuilder claims when he sais he is the best builder, they all are! Take the boat for many hours of test-drive before paying the last payment.
I thought 2 engines would make more of a difference but I suppose so much depends on how close they are together - hull shape etc!!!

The hull I have gone for is not the fastest - but should be good in the rough stuff!!! I also expect to get about 44kts out of her - with twins the demo boat I drove would only do about 52kts so not much difference.

Another boat here on ribnet was only a little slower when one of the engines was raised - it really didn't make that much of a difference!

Unfortunately the engine I have bough IS a 2 stroke - it was cheap as it's the last of the Suzuki 225 efi engines. it was about half the price of the 4 strokes!!!
Old 04 January 2005, 22:30   #28

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
http://redbayboats.com/

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....=Redbay+parker

Hi Marios,

Have you heard of Redbay?

They are based in the North of Ireland, just at the North Channel, and make really strong boats. See the Ribnet thread above which will give you some of the opinions.

They have a lot of experience in building very seaworthy boats which operate as ferries / dive boats / rescue craft as well as leisure/ cruising craft…the owner is a lifeboat cox and he can tell you a thing or two about North Atlantic weather! .One of their more meaty craft is in use by Gibralta Customs authority where they experience the full rigors of the med as well as the Straits…….They also delivered a boat to the Scillies last year whch operates , I think, as the post boat between the islands all year round. There is a reference to this somewhere on ribnet. They have a lot of experience in diesel inboards.

Best of luck
Old 05 March 2005, 12:23   #29

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Hi Codprawn, how's the build going??? Will your new RIB be delivered on time??? Look forward to pictures of the build process!!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2005, 12:32   #30

Looking like May now - better not be any later or I will have someone's balls on a plate!!!

Hope to post some pics soon!!!
Old 05 March 2005, 12:50   #31

Quote:
Looking like May now - better not be any later or I will have someone's balls on a plate!!!

Hope to post some pics soon!!!
That's disappointing that it's slipped again!!! Back in October last year you were expecting December delivery...

Quote:
Just look at that weather - looks like my Rib will be ready in December - anyone know of any ice breaking attachements????
Old 05 March 2005, 15:41   #32

Tell me about it but to be fair I didn't see much point in rushing things at this time of year - I haven't specified ice breaking bows!!!
Old 05 March 2005, 15:49   #33

Quote:
I haven't specified ice breaking bows!!!
That was wise - there's isn't any ice around to break!!!

So, how's the build progressing, is the Suzi hung on the transom yet? And I'm interested in the removeable seats you specified - how are they coming along?
Old 05 March 2005, 16:03   #34

Engine and transom jack not yet fitted - seat are sorted - 2 removable singles at the front - 2 fixed singles at the console - 2 removable 2 man seats midships and a fixed 3 seat bench at the rear. There is also a suicide seat on the front of the console. When the middle seats are removed a table can be slotted into place instead.
Old 05 March 2005, 16:29   #35

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Engine and transom jack not yet fitted - seat are sorted - 2 removable singles at the front - 2 fixed singles at the console - 2 removable 2 man seats midships and a fixed 3 seat bench at the rear. There is also a suicide seat on the front of the console. When the middle seats are removed a table can be slotted into place instead.
Have you got the table sorted? If not I may be able to help as I stock a lot of tables!
Nick
Old 08 March 2005, 13:10   #36

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
So you consider a deep V essential, why?Personally I would choose a warped V hull as the best compromise. Amazingly I find myself agreeing with John fuller for once

Pete
i am by no means an expert but in my limited experience i have found that warped hulls are not the best seaboats. i think petes right it is a comprimise. Most warped vs have a flatter planing area than a deep v (for eg 20 degree deadrise at the transom) and the hull jf mentions was primarily designed for efficiency i believe over sea keeping. The fine front end obviously offers a great cutting surface. its also worth remembering that a slower planing speed will help maintain momentum in big seas...

I think imho that warped hulls are better suited to larger or heavier craft that spend more time in the water, here they can excel as the flatter aft section increases efficiency over a constant deep v and the front bit does a great slice job and keeps the nose planted.. however smaller and lighter boats can with enthusiastic driving leave the water more. A constant deep v has a larger wetted area therefore more cushioning on re entry with a deeper v in the area a boat lands on most..

A ride down the solent for a spot of wave jumping resulted in a rather painfull wedding tackle slap in a warped v i will never forget!!!

p.s. im ready for mr fullers firing squad
Old 08 March 2005, 13:21   #37

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash
i am by no means an expert but in my limited experience i have found that warped hulls are not the best seaboats. i think petes right it is a comprimise. Most warped vs have a flatter planing area than a deep v (for eg 20 degree deadrise at the transom) and the hull jf mentions was primarily designed for efficiency i believe over sea keeping. The fine front end obviously offers a great cutting surface. its also worth remembering that a slower planing speed will help maintain momentum in big seas...

I think imho that warped hulls are better suited to larger or heavier craft that spend more time in the water, here they can excel as the flatter aft section increases efficiency over a constant deep v and the front bit does a great slice job and keeps the nose planted.. however smaller and lighter boats can with enthusiastic driving leave the water more. A constant deep v has a larger wetted area therefore more cushioning on re entry with a deeper v in the area a boat lands on most..

A ride down the solent for a spot of wave jumping resulted in a rather painfull wedding tackle slap in a warped v i will never forget!!!

p.s. im ready for mr fullers firing squad
I got one of them warped V hulls, it works well for me
Nick
Old 12 March 2005, 21:22   #38

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Make: RIBCRAFT
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
I would have to recommend a RIBCRAFT 7.8. Incredibly solid hull and extremely seaworthy ride. I've been on both the UK and US built 7.8. Very impressive!