Old 04 February 2017, 09:17   #1

Length: 5m +
Which 6.5m to buy

Hi so after looking for a used boat I'm more or less decided to buy New as I can spec the boat exactly how I want it. Difficult bit is deciding on the make, I like the look of the Ribeye boats but the seem expensive compared to Ribcraft, Ribtec, XS etc.

I want a fast RIB as so much power as poss and a good family layout. I'll be using it round Poole for general stuff like skiing, fishing, odd trip to the IOW and beach trips.

I wondered if anyone is running a set up like this and can share their experiences with this size boat and feedback on their chosen brand. (Good or bad)

Thank you :-)
Old 04 February 2017, 11:17   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
My RC 6.8 with 250 suz has been everything I'd hoped for and more!...and I tried loads of RIB's
Very Stable platform..excellent Hull ..Great Sea keeping go anywhere capability in all conditions..fleet of foot (49knts is best I've had two up) Bullet proof build (with many layout and spec options) great residual value!...means one happy Boater

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 11:57   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
I'm guessing you're not looking to buy a new 4X4 along with the new boat?
So, nice boat that the RC6.8 is you're going to be over two tons up on the trailer and that just might be over the the car's towing capacity. Xk59D will tell you all about that.

If it's a 6.5mtr you want, stick to your guns.

Have a look at Coastline too. 6.5mtr fully rigged on a trailer keeps you under 1500Kg. Very well mannered, dry, soft riding hull. "Ribs to Ireland video" by Xk59D. And at 16 years old my tubes are still in the same condition they were when it was new. (maybe a bit dirtier)
Old 04 February 2017, 12:47   #4

Town: Davenham / Abersoch
Boat name: Stormforce
Make: Redbay 650
Engine: Outboardx2 Petrol 90
Redbay 650 nothing else compares! I have twin Suzuki 90s and it will hit 45knt!
Old 04 February 2017, 18:02   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Gration View Post
Redbay 650 nothing else compares! I have twin Suzuki 90s and it will hit 45knt!

That is a nice hull, but just out of curiosity how many have you compared it with?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 18:07   #6

Town: Davenham / Abersoch
Boat name: Stormforce
Make: Redbay 650
Engine: Outboardx2 Petrol 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That is a nice hull, but just out of curiosity how many have you compared it with?

I have looked around all uk manufacturers, wich are all superior to foreign ones, but the redbay just have a softer, dryer ride with a fittings which dont ever look worn. You also seem more connected with the boat, rather than being on it.
Old 04 February 2017, 18:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I'm guessing you're not looking to buy a new 4X4 along with the new boat?
So, nice boat that the RC6.8 is you're going to be over two tons up on the trailer and that just might be over the the car's towing capacity. Xk59D will tell you all about that.

If it's a 6.5mtr you want, stick to your guns.

Have a look at Coastline too. 6.5mtr fully rigged on a trailer keeps you under 1500Kg. Very well mannered, dry, soft riding hull. "Ribs to Ireland video" by Xk59D. And at 16 years old my tubes are still in the same condition they were when it was new. (maybe a bit dirtier)
Being in the Motor Trade I've towed the RIB the length and breadth of Glorious Britain from deepest Cornwall (Scillies) to North Wales (Irland) and the Highlands of Scotland with plenty of different options!..Tow vehicles I have used are many and various...from Toyota Pick ups..Ford Transit Vans ...Shogun's Fords....Land/Range Rovers's to Nissan Terrano's and even Vauxhall Omega 2.3 TD with no Problems at all.

My advice is Get the right RIB for your needs and don't compromise...the vehicle can take care of itself.
Time is precious!...our leisure time,can...and often is the most precious of all!

Old 04 February 2017, 18:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Being in the Motor Trade I've towed the RIB the length and breadth of Glorious Britain from deepest Cornwall (Scillies) to North Wales (Irland) and the Highlands of Scotland with plenty of different options!..Tow vehicles I have used are many and various...from Toyota Pick ups..Ford Transit Vans ...Shogun's Fords....Land/Range Rovers's to Nissan Terrano's and even Vauxhall Omega 2.3 TD with no Problems at all.

My advice is Get the right RIB for your needs and don't compromise...the vehicle can take care of itself.
Time is precious!...our leisure time,can...and often is the most precious of all!
I won't be towing as it would go straight on a dry stack, but I can tow 3500kg with my current car so got the capacity if I decide to later on.

I'm very interested in Ribcraft, chatted to a guy at XS ribs and Cobra are fairly local to me but there's something about the Cobras that just does sit right with me.
Old 04 February 2017, 19:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Gration View Post
I have looked around all uk manufacturers, wich are all superior to foreign ones, but the redbay just have a softer, dryer ride with a fittings which dont ever look worn. You also seem more connected with the boat, rather than being on it.
with all due respect i can say exactly the same with ribcraft........

to OP, you could try going to JBT marine and test a few boats perhaps? i'm sure redbay, ribcraft etc would offer a test so worth a phone call.
Old 04 February 2017, 19:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
with all due respect i can say exactly the same with ribcraft........

to OP, you could try going to JBT marine and test a few boats perhaps? i'm sure redbay, ribcraft etc would offer a test so worth a phone call.
What sort of performance do you get from your 6.8 with a 200 ? Was there much price difference between a 6.4 & 6.8 ?

Sorry to pick your brains but I'm in "information sponge mode" hope you don't mind.
Old 04 February 2017, 19:57   #11

slight typo there bud with the sizes so not sure what you are asking?

performance is i cruise anywhere between 22 and 25 knots depending on where we are going and i get 0.8-0.9lpm. max speed is about 45 knots but obviously rarely up there or close to it.
Old 04 February 2017, 20:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
slight typo there bud with the sizes so not sure what you are asking?

performance is i cruise anywhere between 22 and 25 knots depending on where we are going and i get 0.8-0.9lpm. max speed is about 45 knots but obviously rarely up there or close to it.
Sorry meant to say price difference in price between 6.4 to 6.8.

Trying to type on the bloody iPad !!
Old 04 February 2017, 20:22   #13

i got prices for quite a few boats so i can't remember exactly to be honest, i bought mine when it was about 10 months old ish so i saved a few quid

it was a few K more new if memory serves as it is a completely different hull from the 6.4. the 6.8 is the same width as the larger ones and the 6.4 is the longest one they make with the slightly narrower hull.

Last tango has a 6.5 coastline and we have a friend with a 6.5 ribeye, the RC is quite a bit bigger in every way due to the wider/longer hull. what is also noticeable is how deep the V is and how tall the boat is on the trailer subsequently.

i have genuinely been impressed with LT's coastline though, it is holding up very well and has been out in everything mine has so worth adding to your list.

i actually went to see a 6.4 ribcraft but the seller was a twat, refused to let me hear engine running for example but it was a nice boat sitting on trailer and typical ribcraft build.

i've not been on many ribs so i can't offer much advice on how comfortable it is compared to others but i quit long before the boat...hence i'm putting suspension seats on

if you want to see some 6.8 vids have a looksy at my YT channel, you will also see the 6.5 coastline in most of them and occasionally the ribeye 6.5

Old 05 February 2017, 11:31   #14

Not sure where you are....but you're more than welcome to come and Try a run out in Raptor my 6.8 sometime!...I'm in the South West..
My advice as always is to try as many RIBs and layouts (in various conditions) as possible before you commit

Old 05 February 2017, 15:41   #15

Town: London
I have an XS 6.5 with Merc 150 on it which I got new in October and am very pleased with it - power / handling / layout etc. It's kept up the road a little from you at Hayling. You are welcome to come have a look / ride on it on a weekend; the boat gets wet most weekends.

Also Hayling Island Sailing Club has a few XS Ribs of varying sizes so worth popping in got a look.
Old 05 February 2017, 17:01   #16

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Ribcraft all the way. they are by far the best boats by a country mile.
All built in house and built like the proverbial!
Old 05 February 2017, 20:45   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Ribcraft, but treat with a pinch of salt anyone who says one brand is fundamentally a whole load better than EVERY other.
Old 06 February 2017, 06:58   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Ribcraft, but treat with a pinch of salt anyone who says one brand is fundamentally a whole load better than EVERY other.

[emoji106]+1 "BEST" is a relative term at umm best! Best in terms of what? Price? Colour? Amount of blue piping? Weight (light or heavy) speed of delivery from order....Yada Yada! "Best" hast to be quantified, best out of how many? Best of all? Best out of the ones you've tried (how many have you tried?) Best out of all boats made in ..........(insert name of town, county, communist state) Best for racing, rescue, fishing, diving?
I could go on and on and on................
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2017, 07:38   #19

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
I'm on to my 2nd Osprey - the 6.8 Vipermax- fantastic sea boat, and a wide beam and many seating options makes it really family friendly and comfortable. I've got a Optimax 200HO on the back and I've had 49.8knts 3 up with 200ltrs if fuel on board! Love it!
Old 06 February 2017, 07:49   #20

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Absolute horse poo, my current boat is THE best!! ( Brand specific?? - not really – just depends on what I own at the time…………...…..)