Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 February 2017, 05:17   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
Which 6.5m to buy

Hi so after looking for a used boat I'm more or less decided to buy New as I can spec the boat exactly how I want it. Difficult bit is deciding on the make, I like the look of the Ribeye boats but the seem expensive compared to Ribcraft, Ribtec, XS etc.

I want a fast RIB as so much power as poss and a good family layout. I'll be using it round Poole for general stuff like skiing, fishing, odd trip to the IOW and beach trips.

I wondered if anyone is running a set up like this and can share their experiences with this size boat and feedback on their chosen brand. (Good or bad)

Thank you :-)
__________________

__________________
sTTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 07:17   #2
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,263
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
My RC 6.8 with 250 suz has been everything I'd hoped for and more!...and I tried loads of RIB's
Very Stable platform..excellent Hull ..Great Sea keeping go anywhere capability in all conditions..fleet of foot (49knts is best I've had two up) Bullet proof build (with many layout and spec options) great residual value!...means one happy Boater
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 07:57   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 810
I'm guessing you're not looking to buy a new 4X4 along with the new boat?
So, nice boat that the RC6.8 is you're going to be over two tons up on the trailer and that just might be over the the car's towing capacity. Dubrus will tell you all about that.

If it's a 6.5mtr you want, stick to your guns.

Have a look at Coastline too. 6.5mtr fully rigged on a trailer keeps you under 1500Kg. Very well mannered, dry, soft riding hull. "Ribs to Ireland video" by Dubrus. And at 16 years old my tubes are still in the same condition they were when it was new. (maybe a bit dirtier)
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 08:47   #4
Member
 
Conor Gration's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Davenham / Abersoch
Boat name: Stormforce
Make: Redbay 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboardx2 Petrol 90
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Redbay 650 nothing else compares! I have twin Suzuki 90s and it will hit 45knt!
__________________
Conor Gration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 14:02   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,544
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Gration View Post
Redbay 650 nothing else compares! I have twin Suzuki 90s and it will hit 45knt!


That is a nice hull, but just out of curiosity how many have you compared it with?
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 14:07   #6
Member
 
Conor Gration's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Davenham / Abersoch
Boat name: Stormforce
Make: Redbay 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboardx2 Petrol 90
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That is a nice hull, but just out of curiosity how many have you compared it with?


I have looked around all uk manufacturers, wich are all superior to foreign ones, but the redbay just have a softer, dryer ride with a fittings which dont ever look worn. You also seem more connected with the boat, rather than being on it.
__________________
Conor Gration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 14:14   #7
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,263
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I'm guessing you're not looking to buy a new 4X4 along with the new boat?
So, nice boat that the RC6.8 is you're going to be over two tons up on the trailer and that just might be over the the car's towing capacity. Dubrus will tell you all about that.

If it's a 6.5mtr you want, stick to your guns.

Have a look at Coastline too. 6.5mtr fully rigged on a trailer keeps you under 1500Kg. Very well mannered, dry, soft riding hull. "Ribs to Ireland video" by Dubrus. And at 16 years old my tubes are still in the same condition they were when it was new. (maybe a bit dirtier)
Being in the Motor Trade I've towed the RIB the length and breadth of Glorious Britain from deepest Cornwall (Scillies) to North Wales (Irland) and the Highlands of Scotland with plenty of different options!..Tow vehicles I have used are many and various...from Toyota Pick ups..Ford Transit Vans ...Shogun's Fords....Land/Range Rovers's to Nissan Terrano's and even Vauxhall Omega 2.3 TD with no Problems at all.

My advice is Get the right RIB for your needs and don't compromise...the vehicle can take care of itself.
Time is precious!...our leisure time,can...and often is the most precious of all!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 14:28   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Being in the Motor Trade I've towed the RIB the length and breadth of Glorious Britain from deepest Cornwall (Scillies) to North Wales (Irland) and the Highlands of Scotland with plenty of different options!..Tow vehicles I have used are many and various...from Toyota Pick ups..Ford Transit Vans ...Shogun's Fords....Land/Range Rovers's to Nissan Terrano's and even Vauxhall Omega 2.3 TD with no Problems at all.

My advice is Get the right RIB for your needs and don't compromise...the vehicle can take care of itself.
Time is precious!...our leisure time,can...and often is the most precious of all!
I won't be towing as it would go straight on a dry stack, but I can tow 3500kg with my current car so got the capacity if I decide to later on.

I'm very interested in Ribcraft, chatted to a guy at XS ribs and Cobra are fairly local to me but there's something about the Cobras that just does sit right with me.
__________________
sTTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 15:20   #9
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Gration View Post
I have looked around all uk manufacturers, wich are all superior to foreign ones, but the redbay just have a softer, dryer ride with a fittings which dont ever look worn. You also seem more connected with the boat, rather than being on it.
with all due respect i can say exactly the same with ribcraft........

to OP, you could try going to JBT marine and test a few boats perhaps? i'm sure redbay, ribcraft etc would offer a test so worth a phone call.
__________________
dubrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2017, 15:46   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
with all due respect i can say exactly the same with ribcraft........

to OP, you could try going to JBT marine and test a few boats perhaps? i'm sure redbay, ribcraft etc would offer a test so worth a phone call.
What sort of performance do you get from your 6.8 with a 200 ? Was there much price difference between a 6.4 & 6.8 ?

Sorry to pick your brains but I'm in "information sponge mode" hope you don't mind.
__________________

__________________
sTTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.