Old 19 May 2019, 06:21   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
What security do you have on your boat

I live in a rural area generally with a low crime rate but following a few thefts in my area and reading some posts I was interested in what security people have regarding their boat. I will start. I have:-

1) Insurance
2) CCTV
3) hitch Lock - Average quality
4) Wheel clamp - Good Quality on one wheel
5) When I am on holiday/away without the boat I remove the other wheel
6) Boat is behind short walls and gate and gate is chained and padlocked
7) I am now fitting drop down post
8) Outboard has locks to transom

Quite a lot but I accept if a thief is determined they can probably get past most of this
Old 19 May 2019, 07:23   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
I have:

1) a Nemesis DVLA style wheel clap
2) Nemesis Hitch lock
3) Ring doorbell
4) Almax 19mm chain with Squire padlock around Almax ground anchor (still need to fit!)
5) boat is behind a hedge and when one car is left at home it’s placed in the way of the trailer to make towing out of drive difficult

The chain I bought from Almax, after allot of research into them and watched loads of YouTube videos on which are the hardest to cut and they came out in top. When you receive it, it’s a super heavy chain. The video showed most other chains (think pragmasis is also a good one) either broke with a sledge hammer, heavy duty cutters or an angle grinder. The Almax couldn’t be cut with a sledge hammer or the longest and strongest cutters - most others fail with those methods. But an angle grinder, which goes through anything took I think around five minutes in a vice- allot longer when unsecured under your boat. I’ve not fitted it yet but when I do it will be a massive deterrent. With your ground post I would really suggest getting a quality chain like Almax and do research first - allot of chunky ones out there actually are quite weak (like the Oxford motorbike chains etc). Security is only as good as the weakest link...

I also plan to get another Ring spotlight camera directly over the boat at some point.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:23   #3

Town: London
Length: no boat
On the 2 boats we run as a club.

1) DVLA style wheelclamp .
2) hitch locks ( one forms part of Hitch )
3) engines secured with proprietary security bolts ( don’t lose the tool it makes it hard to remove ... DAMHIKT)
4) High security padlocks to secure clamp - offshore wind industry rated for security and weatherproof ... no you won’t get the name as they only supply that industry and I had to pull in favours to obtain

Insurance requires stored in secure yard with CCTV . Overnight trips are a ‘mare and usually the Tower has another trip attendee put their vehicle close up to boat or reverses close to building .
Old 19 May 2019, 09:10   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
I have:

1) a Nemesis DVLA style wheel clap
2) Nemesis Hitch lock
3) Ring doorbell
4) Almax 19mm chain with Squire padlock around Almax ground anchor (still need to fit!)
5) boat is behind a hedge and when one car is left at home it’s placed in the way of the trailer to make towing out of drive difficult

The chain I bought from Almax, after allot of research into them and watched loads of YouTube videos on which are the hardest to cut and they came out in top. When you receive it, it’s a super heavy chain. The video showed most other chains (think pragmasis is also a good one) either broke with a sledge hammer, heavy duty cutters or an angle grinder. The Almax couldn’t be cut with a sledge hammer or the longest and strongest cutters - most others fail with those methods. But an angle grinder, which goes through anything took I think around five minutes in a vice- allot longer when unsecured under your boat. I’ve not fitted it yet but when I do it will be a massive deterrent. With your ground post I would really suggest getting a quality chain like Almax and do research first - allot of chunky ones out there actually are quite weak (like the Oxford motorbike chains etc). Security is only as good as the weakest link...

I also plan to get another Ring spotlight camera directly over the boat at some point.

Forgot to mention, also Volcano engine lock... whilst possible - would be a determined criminal to give it a go and the time it would take, gives time for the police [emoji106]
Old 19 May 2019, 09:50   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Considering this country was partially built by convicts, I worry very little about theft. I've owned dozens of boats and travelled thousands of km around this country and yet to have anything stolen from or off the boat, not saying it doesn't happen.
Old 19 May 2019, 20:17   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Boat is garaged, but outboard lock, wheel clamp, hitchcock, and its alarmed.

It's insured, but if the worst happens, it's the utter hassle of paperwork and negotiating payout.
Old 21 May 2019, 10:02   #7

Boat name: Tempo
Make: Scorpion 8.1 Mk1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda BF225
I put the outboard straight down and can only do so, if I lower the hitch inches from the ground. Try and attach it to a towhook now.