Old 21 March 2010, 13:40   #1

Town: Ghent Belgium
Boat name: Quickflash
Make: Scorpion 9,75 m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 370Hp
MMSI: 20519774700
What logbook to use on a rib ?

I like to keep track of all the trips I make, including all the boat's statistics in a logbook. For the last year's I have been using the Reed's Logbook for yachts, but as it uses paper pages, it really needs to be kept (very) dry. In general this works providing you don't take any notes during the trip and only at the end, by which time you may have forgotten some specifics.
i was wondering what the general practice is of keeping a logbook on a rib and which kind of logbook is used by others. Any comments ?
Old 22 March 2010, 09:25   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Interesting question - With my SR4 I never managed any really long distance stuff, so I usually logged diatance / time / fuel & general notes when I got home. (mostly for fuel consumption & future trip planning)

I guess if you are looking at "yacht" type logs, could you use a waterproof MP3 dictaphone to make verbal notes as you travel, then can copy into your paper log when you get back?

I guess if you have a plotter you instantly have a copy of the route. If you bang in "mark waypoint here" every so often ,you'll also log the time (most GPS "mark here" records the date / time the pont was recorded) I guess you can then when making a verbal note sat "waypoint 006, <what happened>" , but again you then need to get the data off the plotter unless you speak it verbally into the "tape".

Probably not the most efficient way, but it's a thought for a start.
Old 22 March 2010, 10:22   #3

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
problem with most log books is they are made for the sailing /yachties and even most of the motorboat log books are full of useless coloums unless you are running a 20 meter long criuser with 6 crew ,,epecially just for a run about in a rib,,why not make or print your own ,even if you just draw a few lines with what you need and get some photo copys done .you could keep brief notes on a waterproof note pad as divers use ,then transfer to paper when you get home .
Old 22 March 2010, 19:31   #4

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickflash View Post
I like to keep track of all the trips I make, including all the boat's statistics in a logbook. For the last year's I have been using the Reed's Logbook for yachts, but as it uses paper pages, it really needs to be kept (very) dry. In general this works providing you don't take any notes during the trip and only at the end, by which time you may have forgotten some specifics.
i was wondering what the general practice is of keeping a logbook on a rib and which kind of logbook is used by others. Any comments ?
i use my garmin 550s,
as soon as we get back from a trip i transfer all the data to a SD card then on to my computer i have all the information which shows me on the map page of every trip in my rib.
i then transfer the data to a excel sheet where i have put in a formula that tells me exactly how many hours,miles the engine as done, trip times etc, i then calculate the fuel used from this to tell me roughly how much i have left in the tank ( i never trust a fuel gauge 100 %)
its good to see on a map exactly where you have been, average speed, time stopped, etc its a brilliant way of keeping a record
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 22:18   #5

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I take the vital details off my Garmin and write it all down in a paper yachty log book when I get home. Not a fancy one, just the basic skippers log book you buy for about £4. You can get waterproof paper in a notepad which I suppose you could use on board and then transfer to a conventional log book back on dry land. I think Millets or any good camping shop sell them.
Old 24 March 2010, 06:42   #6

Town: Ghent Belgium
Boat name: Quickflash
Make: Scorpion 9,75 m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 370Hp
MMSI: 20519774700
Thanks for the comments, I never thought to use the plotter to "feed" my log with data, but as you say it is all there. A waterproof paper notepad is in any case a good idea i think, to mark vital trip/position data incase the electronics dies on you.
Old 24 March 2010, 08:19   #7

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Nothing new to add really, but that never stops me.

Like others I use a GPS, in my case a handheld which I plug directly into my computer to make a copy of the track log. This records start time, speeds and of course location - all of which can be viewed on the chart on the computer.

I then keep a spreadsheet, one per boat we have ever owned, which has all the important bits.

On board I use a waterproof notepad to keep a record of anything I might like to recall later.

When I have had a cabin boat then I have kept a more wordy log, with maintenance issues and things like that all written up.