Old 20 July 2007, 16:31   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Couldn't agree more Nikster. All these bits of paper annoy me - no subsitute for experience.

Old 20 July 2007, 18:09   #12

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
Why on earth has the L2 got to be crammed into 2 days, what guarantees are there that once they have done the course they may not go out again for another 3 months... but they have the ticket...
I did mine over 4 days. Lots of boring pontoon bashing (its stuff I don't normally do). Three months later my mate did his in 2 hours !!!!

Old 20 July 2007, 19:12   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
The RYA Level Two course is about educating people, making them aware of the dangers and giving them the basic techniques so they can become good boat handlers and overall to be safe when out on the water.

Instructors work hard to get to get some students up to the level required to pass the course - we want to give them the certificate and send them away after having a positive experience. Yes it is rare to outright fail a student, but it’s not uncommon to ask a student to come back and do a little more on one area before issuing a certificate.

Once you move up the powerboat scheme things start to get harder - passing an advanced course is much harder and certainly requires more than just common sense.
Old 21 July 2007, 03:53   #14

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
djl,

sorry chum - you have just completely explained what is wrong with the concept and the RYA system for small boats under 25ft that exceed 18kts... you only see them for a couple of days - then you say just keep spending more money on more tickets that most people with their own boat will never want to aspire to??? they only want to get a cheaper insurance premium, yet when you speak to the insurers all they can legally try and insure is a "competant person".

In aviation every pilot has a log book, and every flight is entered, this is what his expereince is based on, not the tickets he holds. Just because you may fly 747's does not allow you to fly a Pitts Special stunt plane.......etc Likewise just because you are a Master Mariner or Boatmaster this should not automatically give you the right to start teaching on a Rib that is 7mtr and capable of 50+ kts

you must also completely detach yourself from boats occasionally and ask yourself this...... i am charging £200+ for this PL2 - with this guy that has just bought this £30,000 boat - clearly that man will be successful in business to be able to afford the boat, have you given him value for money in the PL2 or will he leave thinking............ what a waste of blinking time that was - they didnt really teach me much more than i already knew???

All opinions my own...................

Fab day down here.... calm sea blue sky..... bring it on...!
Old 21 July 2007, 05:36   #15

Town: Bristol
Make: fletcher arrowbeu
Engine: johnson 175
MMSI: 235057234
you can't compare flying an aircraft to using a boat they are 2 totally different things, besides as well that flying is much more difficult which takes many air hours to achieve a level of competence that allows one to even take an aircraft up on your own. True we don't need incompetent idiots all over the place in power boats but thats not the case anyway, most people that are new to power boating usually show a good degree of common sense (of coarse there are some that don't) so i believe that taking a power boat handling coarse is a step in the right direction, taking rya power boat level 2 is i believe a good thing for beginners, you then at least gain sea hours with a basic correct understanding of power boats from the outset, nothing substitutes experience though.
Old 21 July 2007, 07:42   #16

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
Great points about education - but start a new thread! - This one is about personal checklists. What becomes easy to over look?
Old 21 July 2007, 11:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoa View Post
Great points about education - but start a new thread! - This one is about personal checklists. What becomes easy to over look?
Couldn't agree more easy to get sidetracked and sucked into a different subject though.
Old 21 July 2007, 12:26   #18

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Apart from fuel and batteries, I like to make sure the beer is properly chilled!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2007, 12:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Apart from fuel and batteries, I like to make sure the beer is properly chilled!
Good one nothing worse than warm beer. make sure them ice blocks are put in the freezer the night before and packed into the cool box along with the favorite beer of coarse , careful though having a couple of nice cold beers while participating in our favorite pass time is frowned upon by many and now against the law, bothered
Ah just remembered Stoo your in Canada lol where grizzly bears are probably more of a worry than being pulled by the authorities for drink and ribbing.
Old 21 July 2007, 15:21   #20

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I would disagree in a big way about flying & ribbing/boating . Everytime I fly I do the same checks - if its an aircraft i've flown 100's times or twice the same check get done . I take the same approach with the boat .

If I am planning to do something I think about the what ifs?

So checks are
Tides
Weather
BAtterry voltage OK
Engine oil OK
Fuel OK ( both tanks - not contaminated)
GPS ( main & backup agree & have full battery on back up )
Engine - full range of turn , trim / tilt
Lights ( even if full daylight - you never know! )
Bow & stern lines OK & secure
Anchor ( x2 ) main & Back up OK - lines not frayed & shackles tight/still locked tight
Bungs in
Nothing obvious ( cracks in hull / rips etc in tubes )
VHF - radio check ( & backup )
GPS tracked from home to slipway ( they do lockup & do fail )
PLans for the day - route / hazards / alternate ports of anything goes wrong

All the above adds maybe 10-15 mins & hopefully means I will get home with the same number of people as I left with ! and the boat still working & ready for the next time !

JUst my checks - I am sure I have missed stuff other do - woud like to hear ............................