Old 15 February 2007, 19:29   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
What glue?

Does epoxy resin or superglue attack hypalon? I have a small area (25cm x 2cm) on the hull where the hypalon holding strip for the tubes was stuck to some bad paint and has come away. Just want to stick it back down without buying a tonne of glue I am not going to use...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 21:29   #2

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Does epoxy resin or superglue attack hypalon?
Not sure about epoxy - but probably not. Also its a rigid glue and won't cope with the flexing of the hypalon. Definately don't use superglue - exposure to water makes it soften and eventually give up completely. Ideally a small tube of Bostik 2402, but I guess a small tube of wetsuit adhesive may do.

Andrew
Old 15 February 2007, 21:45   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
2402 is what my builder used to stick hypalon to aluminum.

jky
Old 15 February 2007, 22:21   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
The above glue will cost you about £8 a tin from any chandlers.
Old 15 February 2007, 22:47   #5

Town: North Carolina, USA
Boat name: MissRocks
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Does epoxy resin or superglue attack hypalon? I have a small area (25cm x 2cm) on the hull where the hypalon holding strip for the tubes was stuck to some bad paint and has come away. Just want to stick it back down without buying a tonne of glue I am not going to use...
I am facing the same situation after replacing the transom in my boat. The fiberglass man who did the transom told me that contact cement was the correct choice. Since the flap is not concerned with maintaining any air pressure, I plan to use it as he recommended. Epoxy takes longer to set and depends on a degree of penetration and a joint thickness for its effectiveness and superglue or cyanoacrylate is more likely to degrade with moisture and temperature changes. If Bostic 2402 were available to me I would use it with no hesitation but I can't find it in the U.S.A and I can't seem to buy anything online from Ribshop. Contact cement is cheap, readily available and will hold the tip on a billiard cue immediately. If any of my ideas are way off base I would like other viewpoints. One other thing to consider is if in the future you might want to use a heat gun and free the material for maintenance reasons. This was how i lifted the flap to get access to my transom.
Old 15 February 2007, 22:52   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I must admit I've worked with some boats with small pieces of hypalon coming off that seemed to be able to be fixed cheap and quick.
Trust me it doesn't work. Use the correct glues and make sure all surfaces are clean, roughed up, acetoned prepared etc and you won't end up doing them again and again.

Jizm you can probably end up doing your job for £20 but please make sure the old hypalon and GRP is perfectly clean of old stuff. And one last thing this time of the year is not the time to be doing your repair. Its too damp and cold. Unless you can get inside a garage with heating that is.
Old 16 February 2007, 04:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I must admit I've worked with some boats with small pieces of hypalon coming off that seemed to be able to be fixed cheap and quick.
Trust me it doesn't work. Use the correct glues and make sure all surfaces are clean, roughed up, acetoned prepared etc and you won't end up doing them again and again.

Jizm you can probably end up doing your job for £20 but please make sure the old hypalon and GRP is perfectly clean of old stuff. And one last thing this time of the year is not the time to be doing your repair. Its too damp and cold. Unless you can get inside a garage with heating that is.
Boat still upside down in my garage which is heated

2402 then, available from RS, cheers chaps, much appreciated.
Old 16 February 2007, 04:37   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchemrocks! View Post
If Bostic 2402 were available to me I would use it with no hesitation but I can't find it in the U.S.A and I can't seem to buy anything online from Ribshop. Contact cement is cheap, readily available and will hold the tip on a billiard cue immediately.
Contact cement should be fine. Make sure you use many thin coats, rather than one thick one. I prefer Barge, buit not for any specific reason (maybe it just looks more industrial. Dunno.)

I know what you mean about Bostik 2402. Impossible to get here in the US, it seems. I might try giving my builder a call one of these days, and see if he can get a small can to me or something. If he can, I'll post it here.

As a substitute, the Clifton hypalon adhesive (available from NRS - Northern River Supply? A rafting company, anyway) seems to be very similar to 2402. They sell a 4oz can for $22, and a small bottle of accellerator (not really necessary) for $16. Go to http://www.nrsweb.com/ and select repair.

Luck;

jky
Old 16 February 2007, 23:14   #9

Town: North Carolina, USA
Boat name: MissRocks
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50 2 stroke
Hi jky, Valuable recommendation regarding multiple thin coats. I'll try the barge cement.
regards, aj
Old 17 February 2007, 12:50   #10

got some....

Here

used the company discount for 25% off aswell
Old 17 February 2007, 15:23   #11

Town: River Hamble
Watchemrocks

If you send me an email with your requirements and postal address I will have a go at finding shipping costs to you next week.
Unfortunately the glues have a UN number that does not allow them to go air freight so it will have to go by sea.

Sorry cant be of any more help.

steph@rib-shop.com